Planning Permission for a home salon

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emmajane74

Reaction score
Do people have problems with this? What sort of things cause difficulties? I've got an application form for a pre application enquiry- that costs £90.

The usual is parking and noise complaints, maybe overlooking depending on if it's an external building hth :)

I live in Bradford so they may not the case for you.

I have turned a room in my house into a home salon. I searched the interent for info and found some really good advice saying I don't need planning permission. I then spoke to a chap at the council and he agreed so it didn't cost me anything and I'm legal and above board.

A few weeks ago a nosey neighbour of mine complained to the council and I had a call from an inspector who asked me loads of questions. I again very politely gave her the info I'd found and she agreed also. She said I'm only allowed to put one A4 advert in my window but I'm ok to trade from home so long as i don't get hoards of customers.

Check the government websites they are packed with info

I live in Bradford so they may not the case for you.

I have turned a room in my house into a home salon. I searched the interent for info and found some really good advice saying I don't need planning permission. I then spoke to a chap at the council and he agreed so it didn't cost me anything and I'm legal and above board.

A few weeks ago a nosey neighbour of mine complained to the council and I had a call from an inspector who asked me loads of questions. I again very politely gave her the info I'd found and she agreed also. She said I'm only allowed to put one A4 advert in my window but I'm ok to trade from home so long as i don't get hoards of customers.

Check the government websites they are packed with info

That's some good advice there, of which I will be following too. Thanks x

Last edited by a moderator:
Hiya

I found some great info on here posted by Matt Taylor recommending the planning portal thats available on the government website.

I wrote to my local council saying the below;

I wonder if you could help me at all?

I am looking to use a room in house as a beauty therapy room. The room has other uses.

I have looked on the government’s planning portal website and it states that;

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/permission/commonprojects/workingfromhome
·Will your home no longer be used mainly as a private residence?
No, my home will always be a private residence for myself, my husband & my children.
·Will your business result in a marked rise in traffic or people calling?
No, there will not be a marked rise of traffic in my street, I also have advantage of a large private driveway which can accommodate the 2 cars that belong to this household and another 2 cars at any time. I would only see 1 client at a time and I would not have a crossover where one client would be waiting for another to finish. Most of my clients would be local to me & some travel on foot or by bicycle.
·Will your business involve any activities unusual in a residential area?
No, there would be nothing unusual, it would not be obvious, no advertising or signage.
·Will your business disturb your neighbours at unreasonable hours or create other forms of nuisance such as noise or smells?
There would be no visitors to my house in unsociable hours, there would be no extra noise. The room that I would like to use is not adjoining my neighbours property. We have a fence in-between the properties so that anyone entering our property would not be seen by neighbours and could not see into neighbours property.

Please can you let me know if any of the above is a concern?
I can provide images of my property & parking if required and I would welcome a face to face meeting if you thought it was necessary.

I am a fully qualified therapist with Insurance from the Guild of Beauty Therapists. I would also ensure that I had adequate liability insurance for those entering my property.

I got a really nice phonecall from a lady at the planning dept - she basically said - if everything is as above stated then it wouldn't be a problem. She said that I could get a certificate to state that I am able to work from home but to do that I would need to pay half the fee of the cost for planning permission which is about £180. A planner would come and check me out and if they were in agreement would provide me with the certificate. So that if anybody complained about me working from home I would be able to show them my certificate and as long as I wasn't breaking one of the above conditions they can whistle!

]However , if they didn't agree I would need to pay the full fee of £360 and go for planning permission
She recommended that I do the first and if anyone ever complained then a planner would be sent out to see me without notice. I have nothing to hide so I am going to do that. She said that if anyone did complain I wouldn't be in trouble with the council as they will have logged my enquiry but at that time I would have to apply for the certificate at the very least

I think I have decided if my business grows like I hope I will probably apply for the certificate in a years time
I do have a bit of a nosey neighbour who sadly suffers with dementia, so I'm hoping I can see the year out without neighbour complaint!
Watch this space! :green:
Caroline

Last edited:
Great post, very helpful! Thank you.

I have recently turned an out building from an existing office to a beauty room with the idea of running my business from it. We too have a private driveway and as I only have one pair of hands (unfortunately) I can only see one client at a time.

I havn't approached the council at all and I suppose just hoping for the best! Are you saying that providing you have the public liability insurance you would be okay to operate?

On top of everything above don't forget to speak to the environmental health people!

Ring them and ask for an inspector to contact you to discuss the treatments

They will give you a general info on the waste disposal and h&s issues etc etc

It's more of a courtesy call but you gave to speak to them about all your treatments so they know what's going on :)

It's really easy least as ling as it's not causing any problems for your neighbours and you don't have crowds queuing in your house

Good luck x

Just in the process of doing this :irked:
I emailed my council using the questions off of the goverment portal also highlighting my responses to them (effectively as above), to which i got an email back today.
Basically they wanted me to pay £60 fee for a pre planning application and would not awnser any questions i have regarding working from home until i have paid it (i guess they mean if i would need permission or not) i have gone and paid it, not happy about it, but at least im being above board.
I did phone and polietly request what i can expect having never done this before (ie: will there be more forms and fees as im making the move from unemployed mum and dont have much money to sink into this if its going to be an endless onslaught of fees and im not likely to get permission iykwim) to which a rather cagey unhelpful woman said no that will be it just the planning pre app at £60, i will then be told yes or no???!? was hurriedly brushed off feeling a bit wobbly about it all :| i wish you luck their not that helpful in my experience!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back