Please can a good colourist help me

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
did a proffesional do this or was it an attempt urself? you can go brunnette from this, this green tone should fade slightly in a wee while as toners tend to do, and if u go to another salon, or go to a salon or college in the first place they can re tone this, but dear sweet goodness, byt the sounds of it u are going to need some crafty cutting as well as colour correction love. . .my sympathies lie with ur hair xx

a professional.
should i ring the salon and say i'm not happy?
not happy = devestated.

I spent two years growing out damaged hair.. it was healthy thick and shiny again. i actually feel sick.

call them up and explain the situation, just tell them you feel the colour is green and ask if they can redo it. . it sounds to me like they have toned it with the wrong colour. . . in sayin that you previously said their were several different colours of blonde of varying tone and intensity? it is sooo hard for us to give advice on what to do colour wise without seeing it, all the advice i can give really is try and get the salon to do something about it, remain calm and ask what their proffesional opinion is on the situation. . they may be able to arrange for you to get some test pieces done with another toner to correct this khaki cast. . they should have done test pieces before carrying out any corrective procedures. . x

Hi, amber sia , sorry my pc crashed its such a pain,
I am so sorry that this has turned out like this for you
I phoned up wella this morning for you to see if they could
shine some light on the neon yellow colour for you :hug:

they said the same things as I said earlier and also the water and pollution ect ...

the ash tones will soon fade and I would wait a while first before you decide to do it dark ,
as it's only the shade that isnt right!... and as I said it will fade soon

they should have kept it to /6 violet silver toners for yellow tones , :smack:

Im wondering how could this happen If he perfomed the test pieces for you ?

Hi, amber sia , sorry my pc crashed its such a pain,
I am so sorry that this has turned out like this for you
I phoned up wella this morning for you to see if they could
shine some light on the neon yellow colour for you :hug:

they said the same things as I said earlier and also the water and pollution ect ...

the ash tones will soon fade and I would wait a while first before you decide to do it dark ,
as it's only the shade that isnt right!... and as I said it will fade soon

they should have kept it to /6 violet silver toners for yellow tones , :smack:

Im wondering how could this happen If he perfomed the test pieces for you ?

... he didn't : (
(oh my goodness i've written this reply twice now and it got erased both times)

When he seen my hair, he felt there was no problem with it, apart from the tone. So I think he felt like it wasn't a colour correction.. rather finishing the job i'd started. I did tell him about me applying the toner and it not eliminating the yellow.. but i don't think he paid much heed to that because.. well i'm a teenager with little to no experience, sitting there with yellow hair, lol, so he probably presumed i'd used the wrong one. alarm bells were ringing when he mentioned ash, because i know that violet is used to knock the yellows, but he seemed so calm and certain about everything.
i should have been more vocal about my concerns with the tone, and if i'd asked for test pieces, i'd have got them, so it is my fault - not his.
also in the salon.. my hair didn't look so neon. i really don't know, i'm so SO lost for answers regarding the tone.

my hair is so dark when wet.. it's such a gross colour. i have to laugh at it or i might cry. the shampooing seems to have eased the greenish cast *slightly*. the hair near my roots is a slightly better colour.. that was the part with no previous colour on. it could maybe be a better colour though because it's less porous.. and it was slightly lighter after having been bleached.

minky.. i was going to say that i didn't want to wait any longer, because ive spent the last few weeks with awful hair, i'm sick to the back teeth with it.. BUT.. i've decided that i will wait a bit.. and try and get out some of this ash if i can. i'll ring them in the morning and tell them i need another appointment next week.
if i shampoo alot over the next few days using a clarifying shampoo, does that sound like a good idea? do you have any recommendations shampoo-wise?

and wow, thank you so much for ringing wella, that is unbelievely kind and thoughful of you. thank you <3

i want to apologise for the amount of moaning i've done on this thread.. i'm sure you can't get enough of the 'OMG HELP I'VE RUINED MY HAIR' syndrome.... sorry everyone :eek:

Last edited:
call them up and explain the situation, just tell them you feel the colour is green and ask if they can redo it. . it sounds to me like they have toned it with the wrong colour. . . in sayin that you previously said their were several different colours of blonde of varying tone and intensity? it is sooo hard for us to give advice on what to do colour wise without seeing it, all the advice i can give really is try and get the salon to do something about it, remain calm and ask what their proffesional opinion is on the situation. . they may be able to arrange for you to get some test pieces done with another toner to correct this khaki cast. . they should have done test pieces before carrying out any corrective procedures. . x

thank you scottydolly.
i know it's so difficult without photos/seeing the hair IRL.. im currently installing drivers, trying to get the pics uploaded. i will post them when it decides it wants to work.
test pieces are my way forward from here, for def. if i'm completely honest with myself.. i don't think the blondes going to happen. and if it doesn't then so be it, as long as i still have hair in my head and it's a brown colour that i can stand the sight of. thank u x

Ok , wella do a range of very mild products - shaders and toners ( the type that 12 year old girls always go for) essentially its coloured shampoo they do a shade called 8/73 it wont change the colour of your hair but it may take the edge off of it . -if you use it dont leave it in for more than a minute -in/ out if you use half the sachet , then you can always use the rest another time . This is the only type of home colour id recommend because they arent very strong but if your hair is light you must realise that to choose a brown in this brand will lead to disaster .
The best option is to go back to the salon , but i understand how hard this will be for you

Ok , wella do a range of very mild products - shaders and toners ( the type that 12 year old girls always go for) essentially its coloured shampoo they do a shade called 8/73 it wont change the colour of your hair but it may take the edge off of it . -if you use it dont leave it in for more than a minute -in/ out if you use half the sachet , then you can always use the rest another time . This is the only type of home colour id recommend because they arent very strong but if your hair is light you must realise that to choose a brown in this brand will lead to disaster .
The best option is to go back to the salon , but i understand how hard this will be for you

thanks liana_kay.. i'll have a look for that shade.
it seems to have eased up a bit with shampooing, it still looks pretty horrendous though.
i'm ringing the salon later.. i kind of want to go to a different one, but i was charged money for greenish grey hair, so hopefully they can rectify it.

ash and purple do counteract yellow , but there are varing degrees of lightness and shades of yellow, what i think happened is that they didnt take into account how porous your hair is and that the colour grabbed. Id give it a few conditioning treatments and then hopefully you should be able to have something done with it!

update!
i can hardly contain my excitement
i read on the internet with hugely positive feedback that lemon and conditioner put in the hair and then blowdryed pulls the ash/green out

oh my goodness, my hair is LOVELY.
I can't believe it... i wasnt expecting much of anything. but it looks like a soft level 9 baby blonde with ashy lowlights. it's definately not the look i was going for but i don't give a damn. it is nice ENOUGH and i can finally give my hair well deserved break. the unnatural tinge is gone.. it looks almost perfect near the roots. and guys, i'm not being melodramatic when i say it was really, really bad. I have pics on my camera, and i definately will show yous for your own interest.
thanks for being so supportive. i've been lurking on this forum for ages and i'm inspired to get into the industry.
yay :D x

Hi, I am glad you waited and all is well :hug:
what ratios of conditioner and lemon juice did you use ?

awww yay ur hair trauma has inspired you to jump on the horse and join us as a pro. . . go for it, and u will soon learn about all the things that went wrong. . x

Hi, I am glad you waited and all is well :hug:
what ratios of conditioner and lemon juice did you use ?

thank you minky : )
it was 3 parts lemon juice to one part conditioner.. but i actually used a touch more conditioner because the mixture was very loose and i was scared of it all going down the drain
it's one of those cool little tips... people are claiming it lifted their dyed black hair to a brown, a natural looking one too.
my hair looks very natural too, and it hasn't looked 'natural' since the first time i bleached it.
it's got a little murkiness to the colour actually, but meh.. i like it overall : )

awww yay ur hair trauma has inspired you to jump on the horse and join us as a pro. . . go for it, and u will soon learn about all the things that went wrong. . x

yes! i cant wait!
i've wanted to get into it for years, but never really thought i could put ideas into action... i want to leeeearn.
it would take alot of patience though, im sure?
i have quite a short fuse when people are being difficult and testing my limits... i suppose thats part of the job!
are you feeling better about your hair now?
we are our own worst critics, im sure it is lovely : )

Latest posts

Back