Please can somebody more experienced help me in my situation. thanks

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PrincessClaire

Reaction score
PLEASE HELP!! Hi i am currently finishing my hairdressing level 2 at college. i finish next week. For the past two years i have had a placement one day a week as part of college. I have to go in one day a week for free to help out in a salon to get some experience which is fair enough and i have stuck with the same salon since i started. When i had my interview to start there the guy who runs the salon said i could come in every tuesday aswell for training and he said at the end there would possibly be a full time job for me.

This man is very money orientated like most business people but i have learnt he lies and cheats to get where he is. For every client i have brought through the door for the last 2 years they have paid £10 for a colour and £5 for a cut i know it is benefiting me but he makes the money i see nothing of that. He has never even offered me any money towards transport. this never bothered me before because he has always given me hopes of a job and i have a part time job somewhere else where i make my own money.

I asked 2 months ago what was happening when i leave. he said there was a job for me when i leave and i asked him again last week just to make sure before i leave college and he is now saying there is not. He is a manipulative man who has basically used me and now i have realised there is nothing i can do. he is now saying he will not give me a reference because i have a trade test tomorrow for another salon. my mum also thinks from the sounds of it he wont be having insurance out for me to save money so basically nobody will know i have been working there i feel so used. is there anything i can do? there must be something he cant get away with this and i dont want him doing the same to somebody else.:cry: thanks guys

There is very little you can do with regards to him and his attitude,
insurance would just be regular employers liability which you don't give staff names for it just covers everyone working there,
he will have had to of had this in place for the college to agree to send you there on placement,
you can ask the staff at college to have a word with him about a reference,
they will have visited you and him whilst you were on placement and seen how well it was working,
and lets face it if you were no good, had a bad attitude or bad time keeping you would not have been in the same placement for 2 years so that speaks volumes,
I'm sure if the college staff speak to him he will change his mind about the reference,
your college tutor can give you a reference too,
hth a bit and good luck with your trade test :hug:

Theres no reason why you cant say youve had work experience there and your college will back you up. Dont waste your time for one minute thinking about negativity - your life and career starts now and a positive attitude and a smile will open doors for you.

if ur trade test kicks ass and u can get ur main tutor to vouch for you, then id say ur pretty much set, and hey dont worry about not getting the job their, having a pillock of a boss wouldnt be good for ya anyway, OOOH and congrats on finishing ur level two. . . xx

Honey, He didnt have to let you practise in his salon, Provide you with models (the payments would barely cover his costs!) and help you gain salon experience. He owes you nothing.
If you don't want to work for him then quite rightly move on, But badmouthing someone who has given you some experience is really wrong.
Maybe He is aware of how your speaking about him and thats why he is not prepared to help you further (the reference)

Oh and "Most business people" dont lie and cheat to get where we are!
We get there by talent ,practise, experience, risk, and sheer hard work.

Latest posts

Back