Please Don´t Shoot Me!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smartypantz

Reaction score
Hi there, as you can probably work out I am not a hair geek. I do have a question though! From reading the various posts, I see that box colours are a big no no,(i can hear Persionista recoiling in horror:D) and this is a professional forum etc, however could you explain to me in simple terms why not:o? For example I have dark brown hair but with a bit of grey starting to show through, and I just want to cover it. Ideally I would prefer to go to a salon, but unfortunatly funds will not allow me to:sad: and I don´t know of any college places here in Spain. So do you have any suggestions, or should I just put up and shut up:D Thanks for your time, and sorry if I have unintentionally infuriated anybody lol.

Caroline

The colours you buy over the counter are much stronger than those used in a salon, as they have to work on a wider range of people to compensate for the lack of colour choice ability.
Also as there is no range of peroxide strenght variables you get a flat, singular colour.
They are not allowed to sell products with higher strength peroxides so use low strengths with much higher ammonia content. There can also be mineral salts present which also compensate for the chemical restrictions they work with.

I can always tell home dyed hair as there is a texture change, as well as a flat colour. Salon colours will not significantly change the texture or condition of the hair if used correctly. Home dyes will after just one application.

Working over home dyed hair can be challenging. I have seen hair start to steam and heat up due to aplying highlights over home dyed hair. There can be some shocking chemical reactions.

Quite simply ,you get what you pay for . The colours are flat and are mixed with a generic developer so there is no adaption for your natural hair colour or condition.I agree they are a complete nightmare to lift out . So even if you are really sure , please dont go for a very dark permanant .

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Now that I know a little more, I shall be staying away from the box colours:D It must be a nightmare for you as people who don´t know, see that they are made by L'Oreal etc and see that is what is used in the Salons and assume that they must be ok. I know that if for example CND started selling home kits in Boots, I would have to think about changing my brand loyalty, but with home colouring, every supplier seems to have a box out there:(. I had absolutly no idea they were stronger than salons, in my ignorance I assumed that as they are on sale to Joe Public, they would be weaker. Hmm a little knowledge is indeed a very dangerous thing.

i'v had 3 hairdressers advise me to use nice n easy at home! im now questioning the competance of who i go to!!!

Maybe they're waiting for the colour correction appointment!

I was gunna go buy a box colour and do my hair today think i'm gunna go to philips and pay around £3 more and get it done by a trainee

Latest posts

Back