Please help me help a client

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sian1979

Reaction score
hi everyone....
well i have been in salon for a week now and had my first question that i couldnt answer....but said i probably know a geek or 2 that would. Her nails on her 2 index finger seem to be bulging on the nail bed (i dont think it is a thickened nail as she did.) and the rest of her nails seem to wrap round the tip of the finger. The skin on her hands looks quite damaged.....very dry and peeling skin.....she said she had eczema..it was the only condition she was aware of having.
The look of her nails are quite upsetting to her so was asking of there would be anyway of adding a form of enhancment to them (even if it were just the 2 index fingers) I did take a picture on my phone...but cant seem to upload it so took a pic on the web cam so its not the best quality.
She is coming back in next tuesday just for a consultaion and to see if i can do anything for her.....i couldnt see her properly at the time as i was with another client. I have had a look in the books i have but cant find anything similar to it so was hoping you geeks may be able to help.
thank you xx

Attachments

• nail.jpg
    nail.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 143
I would advise her to seek some medical advice for this :)

i have had another search on the internet and have found a condition called clubbing that it looks very familiar to...... anyone else had any dealings with....
thanks lell.... that was going to be my next thing to do if i caouldnt tell her what it was :)

i have had another search on the internet and have found a condition called clubbing that it looks very familiar to...... anyone else had any dealings with....
thanks lell.... that was going to be my next thing to do if i caouldnt tell her what it was :)

They do look very much like club nails but what are they like underneth the free-edge is there any thickening or weeping etc

no they look fine....although they dont look right there doent seem to be anything red or painful about them....other than the dryness....her hands look quite puffy but she said that was to do with the eczema...i am not so sure. from reading what i have found i think i am just going to advise her to get some medical advice for it

It looks infected to me, so under no circumstances would apply any enhancement or even do a manicure (better to be safe than sorry) and as already said, I'd advise a trip to the doctor :hug:

no they look fine....although they dont look right there doent seem to be anything red or painful about them....other than the dryness....her hands look quite puffy but she said that was to do with the eczema...i am not so sure. from reading what i have found i think i am just going to advise her to get some medical advice for it

Yep I would advise her to get them checked out by the doc because clubbing can sometimes be a secondary condition for more serious illness's.

It looks infected to me, so under no circumstances would apply any enhancement or even do a manicure (better to be safe than sorry) and as already said, I'd advise a trip to the doctor :hug:

oh i definately wasnt going to do a manicure/ enhancement with the condition of her skin and nails....but she was quite upset and i said i would do what i could to try and find out what is was....thats why i told her to come back next week when i am next in. I really dont think it is infected though...there is no redness and she is in no pain with it. Thank you though....i think i am going to tell her to take a trip to her docs as from what i have read clubbing is a side effect of other more serious conditions...

Just want to ask everyone though....i have read that usually this is ireversable once it has happened even once the cause has been rectified.....what would you do in this case???

You could be right about the clubbing Sian. Are all her nails like this?

With clubbing, it can occur in later life and can be inherited. The fingertips can appear large and swollen too. Illnesses related to blood and circulation can cause this too.

If your client gets the ok from her doc and they are not tender, you can enhance them hun.

If that's what it is hth

thanks fi...not all the fingers are like the one in the picture....just both the index fingers...... but the other do seem to have a curve in them ...like an apex....how would u go about enhancing them?? tip or sculpt?? i think i will defo send her to a doctor first. I know most doctors will charge someone for writing a letter for a patient...do you think if i wrote one for her and asked her to take it to her docs with her and get it signed she would have to pay for it??

thanks fi...not all the fingers are like the one in the picture....just both the index fingers...... but the other do seem to have a curve in them ...like an apex....how would u go about enhancing them?? tip or sculpt?? i think i will defo send her to a doctor first. I know most doctors will charge someone for writing a letter for a patient...do you think if i wrote one for her and asked her to take it to her docs with her and get it signed she would have to pay for it??

Hmmmmm, I wonder if it is clubbing then. Was just looking at the pic again, if one nail is clubbed it's usually down to trauma, but as you say it's both her index fingers.

You could certainly try that with the docs hun, would be worth a try for sure.

Oops forgot to add, I would be sculpt these hun as they have a curve already.

xxx

Dear All,
The picture certainly shows a nail that is clubbed but if the other nails are OK it is more likely to be a familial tendency not related to any underlying medical condition. It is worth asking if any other family members have the same shaped nails.
What does concern me is what looks like a lesion under the nail plate. As I can't see what it is properly I would suggest your refer to the doc in case it is a sub-ungual wart or worse still a basal cell carcinoma.
regards
Footwoman.
(Chiropodist)

Dear All,
The picture certainly shows a nail that is clubbed but if the other nails are OK it is more likely to be a familial tendency not related to any underlying medical condition. It is worth asking if any other family members have the same shaped nails.
What does concern me is what looks like a lesion under the nail plate. As I can't see what it is properly I would suggest your refer to the doc in case it is a sub-ungual wart or worse still a basal cell carcinoma.
regards
Footwoman.
(Chiropodist)

Thank you very much for your reply....i will definately ask to to visit the doctors...i will also ask her if there is any family history of it when she comes in next week. I would like to know what your opinion on what you think is best to advise her if all is medically well as the deformity of it is upsetting to her as from what i have read it is irreversable..is that correst??

Hi,
It is difficult for me to give advice without seeing it in the flesh as it were, that is why I suggested getting the doc's opinion.
If it is definitely a clubbed nail it will not return to it's normal shape I'm afraid.
regards
Footwoman.

Latest posts

Back