Please help with Lifting??!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snoopy1

Reaction score
Hello - I am hoping to get some advice from anyone that can help. I have been doing nails for just over 5 months, and have recently trained with Ezflow, before this I had really bad lifting on nails, due to the fact that I was taught just to push back the cuticle and was not removing all the tissue from the nail plate.

I am pretty sure after having my ezflow training that I am being thorough and removing all the cuticle also I've been really careful around the sides as I know at 1 point I was going to close to the sides. But I am still getting some lifting especially on 1 client, it is only on certain fingers not all, but the lifting is happening a week after she has had them done. She does like her nails quite long (they're not great big talons, but they're longer than my other clients have them), but I'm wondering if this could have anything to do with the lifting she is now getting..? She works in a supermarket putting the prices on the shelf, so has told me that she does have to pull the plastic strips away from the shelf.

The lift seems to be at the side of the nails, not down at the cuticle.
I may be clutching at straws here, but I'm nearly ready to give up as I hear from her every week that she has got lifting, but could it be that her nails are too long for her type of job, or is there something that I could be doing to cause lifting a week later??

Hiya ... Just a quick stab in the dark as you say its with her and not your other clients...does she bite or pick her skin at the sides of her nails...?

I used work in a super market and i was allways damaging my nails, by pulling the priceing srtips back, so it could be that, thats causing it.:confused:

Bagpuss, thanks for your reply, she doesn't bite the skin at the side of her nails, but is a picker! She will pick as soon as she sees any bit of lift (which I'm obviously trying to improve my application) she gets her nails under it and pulls it up, so then the lift looks like a half moon across her nails, and takes me absolutely ages to file it away and make the line flush to the nail when doing a rebalance. I guess I'm doing something else wrong for her to be able to pull at them. :cry:

I think it's more about the client than you....if you're not experiencing the problem with other clients.....

the half moon is defo picking following a quick crunch down the side walls.....not from run of the mill lifting.

Length and occupation could be an issue, could you try having her try them shorter to see if this makes a difference?

I would not beat yourself up about this ... this is definitely a client problem and not something you have done or not done.

She is doing a good job of making you feel insecure and bad about your work and so now you are trying in vain to solve problems that she is making )and I bet doing it for free). I would charge her for every repair you are having to spend ages fixing ... all that side lifting is a nightmare to get rid of. I'd rather soak those off than have to file away all the damage and I'd charge for every new nail.

If clients know they can keep you off balance and get freebies then they will continue to do it. Make a stand and now that this is down to her, her job and her teeth and that you will not be held responsible for it.

She works in a supermarket putting the prices on the shelf, so has told me that she does have to pull the plastic strips away from the shelf.
I used to sort out the pricing in Safeway (a number of years ago :wink2:), trying to pull the plastic strips away to change the price tickets is a NIGHTMARE... I would lay money (and a reasonable amount too) on the fact that it's her job that's causing the problems she's getting and not your work.

Offer her shorter enhancements for a couple of appointments and see the difference :green:

Using our nails as tools will only do them damage, you need to educate her in this :hug:

i always find as a rule of thumb,
that if you break one of their arms,
you will find that uncannily that hand attached to the broken limb will have its nails remained in tact!! then you will definately know !!

i know this might seem a joke, but the ppl ive had who have had their arm in a sling and returned with perfect nails on that hand does wonders for your confidence
up to you wether you break her arm or not to show your point lmao

i always find as a rule of thumb,
that if you break one of their arms,
you will find that uncannily that hand attached to the broken limb will have its nails remained in tact!! then you will definately know !!

i know this might seem a joke, but the ppl ive had who have had their arm in a sling and returned with perfect nails on that hand does wonders for your confidence
up to you wether you break her arm or not to show your point lmao

:lol:
Good one!​

Many thanks for all your help, I think I knew deep down it was the client and not me, but when your new to something like nails which requires lots of practice, clients can be very good at making you doubt your work and she has done this alright.
I will advise her to have them shorter as suggested, and hope we will see a difference - short of this I will consider the arm break hehe:lol:

I'm glad I didn't start a new thread, because I had pretty much the same situation happen to a co-worker (I work in a pharmacy full time... doing nails part-time). She's a cashier, and after a week, she said her nails "fell" off. I find it hard to believe they "fell" off...:eek:

Another cashier that had her nails done, said hers came off after 1-2 weeks... but that she's naturally rough with her nails, and ended up chewing them off. (I don't know if she was trying to make me feel better) :irked:

I do quite a bit of nails for other clients, and have not had that problem. I'm using LeChat powder gel system, and have been using this system since October 2007 (been doing nails since Dec. 2006).

Do you think it's the fact that they work at the cash, and don't pay attention to the damage their doing??

My confidence has definately been shot!! :sad:

I'm glad I didn't start a new thread, because I had pretty much the same situation happen to a co-worker (I work in a pharmacy full time... doing nails part-time). She's a cashier, and after a week, she said her nails "fell" off. I find it hard to believe they "fell" off...:eek:

Another cashier that had her nails done, said hers came off after 1-2 weeks... but that she's naturally rough with her nails, and ended up chewing them off. (I don't know if she was trying to make me feel better) :irked:

I do quite a bit of nails for other clients, and have not had that problem. I'm using LeChat powder gel system, and have been using this system since October 2007 (been doing nails since Dec. 2006).

Do you think it's the fact that they work at the cash, and don't pay attention to the damage their doing??

My confidence has definately been shot!! :sad:

Number 1 they probably wear their nails too long for the job they are doing. (You North american gals wear them much longer than most do here in Europe). They work the cash, they open boxes all the time, they probably stack shelves etc AND they want their nails too long. Those jobs are rough. You have been doing nails long enough to know it's them. ONLY if all my clients were suffering with the sme problems would I begin to worry. I'm sure you can still be confident in your work if most of your clients are.

Latest posts

Back