Please tell me WHAT I AM DOING WRONG :(

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eden_beauty

Reaction score
Hi girls - so i have done 3 shellac manis now and to be honest i am NOT HAPPY :(

I have done 2 or 3 on myself and they keep chipping and stuff.... I have tried to do then really thin ( it actually looks too thin aswell) not just that but i find even when i cap the free edge it doesn't stay capped if that makes sense......so when i look at the free edge front on they are chipping or you can see the white of them....i have gone over and over them but its so annoying!

I'm also finding that its taking me 1 hr 15 mins to complete a shellac manicure cos i'm trying to get it perfect and its still not happening....please help me as i think its either i'm never gonna get it or the products are far too thick and i can't apply them properly???? I have looked at lots and lots of you tube vids and it looks sooooooooooooo easy??? HELP!​

Are your natural nails thin and bendy? Thin and bendy are the only type of nails I have seen Shellac not last as well on. In fact nothing will last well on this type of nail.

If not then I would stop wasting your time and go and get some one on one time at a class.

It takes me 25 minutes to do a Shellac manicure. I'm not saying this to boast but it is just like any other manicure with polish. Shellac is like polish it isnot a gel. No nail prep, just paint it on. I can't think what is taking you 1 and a half hours to do? What are you doing to the natural nails in this time. Is there something on them? The step by step is all here on the site .. follow it and get on with it :) You're spending far too much time doing something you shouldn't be doing. It has to be the simplest service on the market.

Mine after 3 weeks ... wasn't hard on them and wasn't kind to them just normal wear and tear. No special effects just went into the garden and snapped the photo before I changed the colour. Note the free edge and the shine after 3 weeks. Done on normal natural nails.

geeg-albums-nail+artisan-picture28452-gigis-natural-nails-done-shellac-wildfire-18-days-ago.jpg

Are you using the correct lamp? If so, are your bulbs ok? If the answer is yes to both them and you are following the instructions, prep, making sure nail plate is clean and cuticles pushed back, scrub fresh then;
Base 10 sec
Colour 2 min
Colour 2 min
Top 2 min.

Dont over-cap your free edges if that makes sense, just a swip across is sufficient, when i capped too much once, it caused them to chip more! Don't know why. When you wipe with D-sperse to remove tacky layer, is there any colour on the wipe? If so, it either hasn't cured properly or you have missed bits out with the top coat. You need to make sure the top coat covers every area, and cap - I know its quite thick, I struggle with it, spoke to S2 about it but they say it is a lot thicker than the base coat. Hope some of this helps, hope you sort it out. Lisa x

Capping can be done allot thinner if you do it whilst you are polishing ( as per my instructions here on the site in the tutorial section under finishing and maintenance). In my opinion those who cap with an extra stroke along the edge just add a thick 'edge" that is prone to chipping. Plus it takes longer to do it that way.

I do my shellac as I do my polish,, I ensure mybrush is used as it should and I do not cap the free edge thickly I slightly flick as I am coming to the end of the free edge so brush runs slightly lightly under ,,ie capping,, I have seen people actually running brush along freeedge horizontally at end of procedure,,imo you will get chipping as this is not needed with shellac,,thin to with.

xx

Thanks Ladies, Geeg I have followed your instructions as much as possible and I am good at polishing...Yes I spend time on taking off old polish (annoying) cuticle massage cream, soaking then cuticle remover and nipping if necessary and then polishing but I am taking long to apply the shellac....I think you are right geeg i need to have one on one training but I am very annoyed about this as I am very good at polishing like i said so i don't understand it if this is exactly the same......

I don't use scrubfresh or d-sperce at the moment I am using normal non acetone nail polish remover on nail plate before polishing and someone suggested surgical spirit instead of d-sperce (as i havent ordered yet and could not for the life of me get hold on 99% alcohol stuff) there has indeed been some colour on the cotton pad at the end but i was really really careful to top coat EVERYTHING!!

I'm losing the will to live ha ha :)

I think if you follow the manufacturers guidelines 100% then you cant go wrong,,if you do get problems then you can be sure its down to technique, but as you have admitted you are not using a nail clenser like scrubfresh or you are not using d-sperse then I would advise on maybe trying to do shellac attack course.

I will disagree with it being sold as like polis as we know there have been lodsa problems with people under over curing, or with NO understanding of how UV light works,,FGS I had fellow tech the other day thinking a UV light drys the nails,,,,:eek: I do think potential buyers should be more aware of yes its a hybrid but you still need to understan importance of base and top coat etc,, I have heared of people not using base or correct lamp,,,,,need I go on lol

xxxx

Do you know how much the shellac course costs i think it was £10 demo when i rang? Is that still right?

I'd ditch the soak and to dry prep or use cuticle away, I always double scrub fresh after this :) Think the best thing to do Is to get on a shellac attack course as it may be something you are not even aware of :hug: I can do it in 30mins but sometimes take 45 depends how focused I am ie not gabbing away I could work for BT! hahaha hth hun xx

Have you seen hollys shellac videos?? gimme a sec see if I can get some links xx

Do you know how much the shellac course costs i think it was £10 demo when i rang? Is that still right?

Give them a ring on monday either your local educator for cnd or S2,, I find maybe if you ask the ladies at s2 for the number of your local educator and ring her directly you would be better. Try looking on face book and see if your local cnd academy is on there. I have not done the shellac attack course but would certainly do so if I was unsure.

Write all your issues down and ask ask ask,,,,lol xxx

Just meant to have a look at holly's vids as they are really good might help the technique and frustration till she can get on a course :) had my S2 catalouge to hand, Aye ketan is london :) xx

p.s just seen ure post about the FB thing lol I'd posted about hollys vids n said I would post a link lol xx

She is inner london which I believe may be Ketan?? correct if im wrong. But if im right I do believe he by his awards etc you are in good hands xxx

Last edited:
Thanks Ladies, Geeg I have followed your instructions as much as possible and I am good at polishing...Yes I spend time on taking off old polish (annoying) cuticle massage cream, soaking then cuticle remover and nipping if necessary and then polishing but I am taking long to apply the shellac....I think you are right geeg i need to have one on one training but I am very annoyed about this as I am very good at polishing like i said so i don't understand it if this is exactly the same......

I don't use scrubfresh or d-sperce at the moment I am using normal non acetone nail polish remover on nail plate before polishing and someone suggested surgical spirit instead of d-sperce (as i havent ordered yet and could not for the life of me get hold on 99% alcohol stuff) there has indeed been some colour on the cotton pad at the end but i was really really careful to top coat EVERYTHING!!

I'm losing the will to live ha ha :)

Great advice given.
I agree with Sarah, you need to do a dry prep! No cuticle massage cream.
For the best result you really need to use all the recommended products, I think this could be where you are going wrong, along with soaking the nails.
After you have done all that prep what do you use to remove the excess products/oils before the Shellac?
With a Shellac Manicure I use cuticle away, push back cuticles, clip if needed, remove excess with water as this deactivates the cuticle away, file nails, scrubfresh, Shellac, wipe with d-sperse, solar oil.
If it was a Shellac luxury mani, I would then add on, scrub, soak, massage, mittens etc.
Hope this helps x:hug:x

P.S - Ketan is lovely, such a good teacher, he took my Shellac Attack day & is a so funny! x

Just meant to have a look at holly's vids as they are really good might help the technique and frustration till she can get on a course :) had my S2 catalouge to hand, Aye ketan is london :) xx

p.s just seen ure post about the FB thing lol I'd posted about hollys vids n said I would post a link lol xx

Ha ha yes we must of got wires crossed look at my post before yours I said have look on face book for your local educator,,which then I seen youput the post on for holly,,,,,which I replied saying I thought was ketan,,

Wires crossed or posts,,,oh well,,,much love and respect:hug:

Latest posts

Back