Polish - to thin or not to thin?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thin polish or not?

• yes thin it .....

Votes: 127 40.4%
  • no , dont thin it ....throw it away

Votes: 166 52.9%
  • who cares ....do what ever

Votes: 21 6.7%

• Total voters
Just throw it away...thin it only for nail art

I've found "ALL" polishes thicken up, for a polish to claim to not thicken, that would almost be like saying "if your pour it out of the bottle it will never harden/thicken or evaporate and remain liquid" , admittedly, some thicken less that others. Most manufactures sell "thinners" in one form or another and I guess this is used to thin out the "thickies".

I just love it when a client brings in her own polish and she's "thinned" it with acetone or polish remover (i've even had one try and thin it with water). I have found that most polishes that clients bring in that are "thick" , they use for their own toenails (as they seem to take forever to paint them and leave the lid off for quite some time). Everytime you take that brush out of the bottle, the drying process of the polish starts, which thickens it (whatever brand). Ever watched how long it takes a novice to paint their own nails?

Thixotropic is a word that is used to describe a substance that thins when it is agitated and thickens when it is left standing.

What this means in terms of enamel is that when you are not using it, the enamel thickens and stops the solvent from evaporating. When you agitate the bottle before using, the enamel thins again so that it is the right consistency for working! Clever eh?

Creative enamels are thixotropic which is why they seem to go on forever. Thinning is something you never normally need to do.

I just have to ask: we have in my salon had 4 bottles of "Neglishee" (?)( that is since august this year) from Creative as it is a lovely natural colour.....but when its half full its so thick that we cant use it anymore....- cant even "shake" it! Why is that? It is only happenig with this colour.. ? I we got one colour, chocolate or something, from Creative that is about 8 years old and its like new. -----and its almost nothing left of it....

Regards

hey there, i always find polish is just never the same after thinning, i mostly use creative, it is fantastic!

I've used OPI for 8 years now and I love the staying power of the polishes but they do need thinned. Opi thinners is no good so our Nail Tech uses a company called Magnetic and their thinner is amazing.

I've thinned about every brand known to mankind, even those that are ....... get ready for a big word "thixotropic" even these thicken up, it really depends on how much they are exposed to the air/oxygen (even though they say starving them of oxygen makes them set faster).

I still don't get this ....if a polish was starved from oxygen to make it set faster, why doesn't it set in the bottle), surely it is starved of oxygen in the bottle ...!!!!!!!

Thin with "thinners" it's a ingredients that's already in the polish and just "thins" the polish back to it's original state, not a ploy to get you to buy new bottle.

I have heard of EVERY brand getting thicker, yes even CND (shock horror).

Last edited:
I have heard of EVERY brand getting thicker, yes even CND (shock horror).

Any denials are less than honest and ignorant of the consumer.
I use CND enamels and the only colour I have a problem with is the white, as far as I understand it its the titanium content that makes it thicken up. I have had some bottles of CND enamel for a few years and they've never gone thick, no lie and not ignorant :hug:

I use CND enamels and the only colour I have a problem with is the white, as far as I understand it its the titanium content that makes it thicken up. I have had some bottles of CND enamel for a few years and they've never gone thick, no lie and not ignorant :hug:

One colour is enough to destroy the argument, I have colors from OPI and many other manufactures that have not gone thick, white does seem to be the exception....

I have seen quite a few threads in here about other CND polishes deteriorating over a period of time also, I've even seen the solution as diluting it with a fresh bottle of the colour (which technically and chemically would put it out of balance), why is CND (in the eyes of some) so different ?

"thixotropic" is a word ( a very clever word) ..... it's not some magical ingredient ..

Last edited:
One colour is enough to destroy the argument, I have colors from OPI and many other manufactures that have not gone thick, white does seem to be the exception....

I have seen quite a few threads in here about other CND polishes deteriorating over a period of time also, I've even seen the solution as diluting it with a fresh bottle of the colour (which technically and chemically would put it out of balance), why is CND (in the eyes of some) so different ?

"thixotropic" is a word ( a very clever word) ..... it's not some magical ingredient ..
I don't believe CND is an exception to any rule, their white behaves similarly to other well known brands of enamel that I've used previously. Obviously I've not tried 'every' brand available as I'm sure nobody else has either.

I'm not 'spouting diatribe' (as you put it) I am speaking from personal experience, nothing more and nothing less, I won't lie about how my enamel is, it just is and that's all there is to it.

I don't 'believe' something my distributor wants me to, I go on how the product behaves for me personally, and in the case of enamels I swear to you (not that I have to prove anything) that the only colour I have a problem with re thickening is the white.

I'm not posting with any other view than a personal one, no financial gain for me to make, I have trouble enough with conversing with my distributor as the language barrier and local dialect gets in the way somewhat :rolleyes: :lol:

Last edited:
I don't believe CND is an exception to any rule, their white behaves similarly to other well known brands of enamel that I've used previously. Obviously I've not tried 'every' brand available as I'm sure nobody else has either.

I'm not 'spouting diatribe' (as you put it) I am speaking from personal experience, nothing more and nothing less, I won't lie about how my enamel is, it just is and that's all there is to it.

I don't 'believe' something my distributor wants me to, I go on how the product behaves for me personally, and in the case of enamels I swear to you (not that I have to prove anything) that the only colour I have a problem with re thickening is the white.

I'm not posting with any other view than a personal one, no financial gain for me to make, I have trouble enough with conversing with my distributor as the language barrier and local dialect gets in the way somewhat :rolleyes: :lol:

I wasn't talking about you spouting Sandi,:) I've actually deleted most of the post so not to offend, perhaps you can edit your post with my quote too, unless you wanna leave it.

Hi Guru, in my experience i would deffo train my girls to keep polish thin, the thinner the polish the longer it lasts, i have seen too many beauty salons apply thick wet polish, chips and smudges, keep the layers thin and even and dry with a fan and uv light together for few mins. Promise it works, keep the color polish to two coats thinly and french to one, also a v good base coat is a must, thin and not touchng the edges. My fav is young nails uv top coat for polish, thinly over french polish and with a uv dryer, ur clients can rub their nails going out the door, they will cumm back i promise, also its great for an optical brightner for glitter and colored gels and acrylics. Fab product guys :)

just curious what u guys think....should u thin polish,enamel,laquer, or varnish?
or not?

With all the talk on polishes having to be thinnned, what is the best salon polish brand out there?

My salon manager thinks thinner is her friend, using it constantly as we use opi polishes and they arent even that old before needed thinning. It is a pain and i believe that after you have thinned it once or twice, throw it out. But am wondering your thoughts on base coat and top coat? Are these ok to be thinned? She uses so much thinner in them over and over i cant help but think she is changing the composition.

Latest posts

Back