Polish - to thin or not to thin?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thin polish or not?

• yes thin it .....

Votes: 127 40.4%
  • no , dont thin it ....throw it away

Votes: 166 52.9%
  • who cares ....do what ever

Votes: 21 6.7%

• Total voters
geeg said:
Here is the logic --- when you stop to consider (the chemistry) that different colours use different pigments and different pigments have different characteristics.
For instance, you can't have white without adding titanium. This is a much thicker pigment than any other.

Also ... most polishes go thicker with constant use and your reasons are correct .. but thixotropic enamels do not go thick as the solvent does not evaporate at anything like the same rate due to the product being thixotropic. I will explain if you want.

Please do this is very interesting...

Fab Freak said:
Please do this is very interesting...

Thixotropic is a word that is used to describe a substance that thins when it is agitated and thickens when it is left standing.

What this means in terms of enamel is that when you are not using it, the enamel thickens and stops the solvent from evaporating. When you agitate the bottle before using, the enamel thins again so that it is the right consistency for working! Clever eh?

Creative enamels are thixotropic which is why they seem to go on forever. Thinning is something you never normally need to do.

geeg said:
Thixotropic is a word that is used to describe a substance that thins when it is agitated and thickens when it is left standing.

What this means in terms of enamel is that when you are not using it, the enamel thickens and stops the solvent from evaporating. When you agitate the botle before using, the enamel thins again so that it is the right consistency for working! Clever eh?

Creative enamels are thixotropic which is why they seem to go on forever. Thinning is something you never normally need to do.

Thats cool chemistry...thanks Geeg

Thanks Gigi for the info on thixotropic and on why white always thickens quicker. On a funny note, can you imagine going into a wholesaler and saying "excuse me but are these nail enamels thixotropic?".

Carole Lindsay said:
Thanks Gigi for the info on thixotropic and on why white always thickens quicker. On a funny note, can you imagine going into a wholesaler and saying "excuse me but are these nail enamels thixotropic?".

Sounds like a disease doesn't it?

Actually, I don't personally know of any other line of Nail Enamel that IS thixotropic ... I'm sure the asistant would just say, "duh??" :D so now you all know 100% more than 99% of the people!! :eek:

geeg said:
Actually, I don't personally know of any other line of Nail Enamel that IS thixotropic ... I'm sure the asistant would just say, "duh??" :D so now you all know 100% more than 99% of the people!! :eek:
Orly Nail Enamel is ....... I had a feeling from the explanation that it was as its just the way mine behaves but to be sure I checked with Orly & got a really nice email from their R&D Chemist confirming that it was.

Nice to know the technical reason why I love my Orly so much :lol:

I agree with Carole, my white always seems to thicken compared to my other colours. I'm glad i looked at this thread again, it's certainly very interesting especially with the "Thixatropic" subject. Very informative thanks Geeg.

I'v been using OPI for quite a while now and although I like them I find that they goo up really quickly and need thinning quite regulary I also find that the lids always stick after I use them a couple of times no matter how much I wipe the neck.

I agree with you totally. I have been using OPI polishes in my salon and have a whole 60 or more color. It is good to use when new cos it gets thick as time goes by. I used to use OPI thinner to thin it down, however, i have changed to a brandless solvent that works just as well. Whatever thinner i use, the results are the same; The golden rule is,once thinned will alway need to be thinned. So why spend a fortune on buying a OPI thinner that doesn't give a better performance than a brandless solvent.

so what would u say the best polish is? i use jessica but i am looking 2 change brands as i find jessica can get thick & gloopy and peels of easily but i havent tried any other brands.

I like Orly and Creative best

I never thin nail polish but I guess its entirely up to the individual. I personally have never tried thinning it - does this change the colour in any way. I was always told never to put polish in the fridge as it is bad for it - what does it do?

I keep all my polishes in the fridge as well. I have had some for quite a few years and keeping them in the fridge keeps them thin and as good as new.

I've never heard of putting it in the fridge, I will definately try it!

Mental picture: cheese, polish, milk, polish, eggs, polish, butter... oooh my hubbie is going to just LOVE this!:rolleyes:

I've always been a chunker, it gets gunky, and I chunk it in the trash!

oops - thought it meant apply it thin - well I would always apply thin - but throw away thick gloopy polish

I thin once after that I throw it away

I've heard of people using clear top coat to thin out their polish what's everyone's take on that? A good or a bad thing?

Tx,

aj

I sometimes use a few drops of basecoat to thin an enamel I need....it works ok for me!
:)

Half of all my polishes are OPI ....I personally have never had a problem with them.....I would rate my OPI right up there on an equal level to my Creative, Jessica, Toma, China glaze.....the only polishes I have ever had to thin were and are my no-name full on glitters....but then again how many times do you polish a nail 100% with glitter.....( I use polish thinner) so yea I thin those suckers over and over again!!...because usually I'm just stickin my striper in there anyway !

parkyojin said:
i say it depends on which polish. on my "usuals" or favorites I will; but, if it's one I never use than... whatever.

Same here it all depends on the quality & whether its popular (or I like it, lol)!! Don't generally need to thin the good quality ones I have , (Sparitual-NSI) they last ages!! But if I buy cheap ones then yeh I might, don't want to risk ruining the better ones though!! Plus a lot have little mixing balls in them now, (the more expensive ones anyway), that help to keep the varnish thin!!:) I try to keep them stored in a cool place though so that helps!!:)

Latest posts

Back