Possible Nail Infection?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

magsham

Reaction score
Hi geeks

I went to a client today for a mani and noticed that on all of her nails she has dark staining down the sides - a bit like what you get if you dye your hair without gloves, but darker.

She had a baby 4 months ago and i know that your body goes a bit loopy during pregnancy and thought i could be that but have told her to mention it to her doctor the next time either she or the baby sees him/her, although not too sure she will as she didn't seem bothered.

For my own curiosity, what d'ya think?

Hi geeks

I went to a client today for a mani and noticed that on all of her nails she has dark staining down the sides - a bit like what you get if you dye your hair without gloves, but darker.

She had a baby 4 months ago and i know that your body goes a bit loopy during pregnancy and thought i could be that but have told her to mention it to her doctor the next time either she or the baby sees him/her, although not too sure she will as she didn't seem bothered.

Most nail infections do not grow in the 'open air' so to speak. It sounds a bit odd .. was it on every nail?

I think you did the right thing telling her to speak to her doctor. lets hope she takes your advice! A lot of people feel a bit silly speaking to their doctors about their nails I know. You could always tell her if you do a manicure for her again and it's still there that you need her to get it checked out before you can do another treatment. Sterilize all your instruments very very well to be on the safe side xx

Hi geeks

I experiened the same thing this week. A client of mine (80 yr old) has been having acrylic overlays sine last may. Her nail were always snapping and it drove her up the wall as they would always catch on her clothes.
She is so happy with her nails now as they are a lovely length,shaped and polished. As i was doing her infills this week i noticed the same dark patches on the side walls of one or two of her nails (like hair dye) I have been worrying about this and am keen to read your replies too! x

Most nail infections do not grow in the 'open air' so to speak. It sounds a bit odd .. was it on every nail?

yes, although it was worse on the thumbs and fore fingers. Her nails are otherwise in good health and really strong without being brittle. The staining was that dark it showed up under the polish.

She doesn't wear enhancements and has them polished and painted every few weeks or so.

may be it is hair dye? If it is at the sides maybe it has bleed underneath the overlay cos there was possibly seperation. Was there any lifting down the sides?

If it was hair dye, maybe it would also stain the regrowth at the cuticle area. Was that area stained.

may be it is hair dye? If it is at the sides maybe it has bleed underneath the overlay cos there was possibly seperation. Was there any lifting down the sides?

If it was hair dye, maybe it would also stain the regrowth at the cuticle area. Was that area stained.
Dont think so,

She has grey hair and no sign of dying. There was lifting at the sides tho!

Latest posts

Back