Potential Nail Problem?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karen-Nail Tech

Reaction score
This is my first topic... Eek!

I'm new to the industry so forgive me if this is obvious but I'm wondering if anyone can tell me what could be causing the nails to look like this...

I'm trying to get into the swing of contra indications for when i'm doing this full time so any help would be really appreciated.

Also I was just wondering what the more common issues you find and how often you actually come across them?

Thanks in advance!

x

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1307114529.282142.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1307114529.282142.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 273
  • ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1307114542.891496.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1307114542.891496.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 270
You mean with the nail pulling away from the nailbed? My mother's are like this, not completely separated. We think that it's psoriasis, as there's a family history of this. It's been investigated and found that it isn't a fungal infection. It kind of happens to each nail in turn, though having said that, they're all OK at the moment. Mum keeps them shorter as they're less likely to catch and pull away.

Of course, it doesn't mean that this is what it is with your client, would suggest medical opinion should be sought. It's not appropriate for you to diagnose.

Thanks for replying to my little topic :)

It's actually a friend. I haven't provided any service for her but she asked me and I thought I'd ask all of you clever people just incase it is something I see again.

I'm certainly not trying to diagnose by any means - just curious.

x

This is a Nail Disorder called Onycholysis.

It happens when the nail plate lifts from the nail bed and there could be a number of reasons for this... trauma for one and it can also happen in clients that have psoriasis or dermatitis.

Her nails look quite long and my guess is, that they are just too long for her lifestyle and this is the reason for the Onycholysis, but obviously I'm no Doctor, so can't say for sure.

This is a Nail Disorder called Onycholysis.

It happens when the nail plate lifts from the nail bed and there could be a number of reasons for this... trauma for one and it can also happen in clients that have psoriasis or dermatitis.

Her nails look quite long and my guess is, that they are just too long for her lifestyle and this is the reason for the Onycholysis, but obviously I'm no Doctor, so can't say for sure.

Ah ha! This is excellent because that was one of the conditions that was mentioned in our training (along with loads of other long words!) so now at least I know what it looks like "in real life"

Thank you so much for getting back to me. She was just curious and because I'm new I thought it would be helpful for me to learn.

x

Thanks for replying to my little topic :)

It's actually a friend. I haven't provided any service for her but she asked me and I thought I'd ask all of you clever people just incase it is something I see again.

I'm certainly not trying to diagnose by any means - just curious.

x

Well to me it looks like onycholysis..separation of the nail plate from the nail bed, this can be an allergic reaction, all product including polish should be removed, If it persists then medical advice is recommended... Can also stem from psoriasis !! Google it and you will find loads on the subject. This was all taken from the complete nail technician 3rd ed... If you haven't got it def get it, it will be your bible. Xx

Well to me it looks like onycholysis..separation of the nail plate from the nail bed, this can be an allergic reaction, all product including polish should be removed, If it persists then medical advice is recommended... Can also stem from psoriasis !! Google it and you will find loads on the subject. This was all taken from the complete nail technician 3rd ed... If you haven't got it def get it, it will be your bible. Xx

Ha ha snap... Xx

Ah ha! This is excellent because that was one of the conditions that was mentioned in our training (along with loads of other long words!) so now at least I know what it looks like "in real life"

Thank you so much for getting back to me. She was just curious and because I'm new I thought it would be helpful for me to learn.

x

Great minds thinks alike xxclairexx :wink2:

LOL... yes unfortunately the Nail diseases and disorders are all long words.

When you start working, you'll come across them all one by one and it really does help to see them in real life... next time you see this disorder you'll know what it is and the possible causes.

Just remember, it's not up to us as Nail Techs to diagnose, so you can tell your friend what it looks like and what you think it might be, but suggest she ask her Doctor.

As xxclairexx has suggested I would invest in a good nail book or two, as you will need them for reference.

I had a new client in last week with similar damage to her nails, although hers were shorter. Yes, it is onycholysis but as mentioned there can be different causes.

In the case of my new client I suspected a possible fungal infection as there was signs of some debris under several nails and it was unlikely to have been caused by excessive nail length as she keeps them very short. However, there was also evidence of a skin condition. Clients often think they have dry skin when in fact they have eczema, psoriasis etc. A proper medical diagnosis is very important to protect both us as therapists and them as clients.

It is hard when faced with this situation as it has to be checked out before you can carry out any treatment. The lady was very disappointed when I explained that I couldn't do her treatment but I'm sure that she will appreciate my advice later, especially if it turns out that she needed medication.

This is indeed onycholysis. Many people cause this condition by 'digging' under their nails with a sharp pointed file or simlar .. excessive cleaning underneath the free edge.

I should have her nails checked out by a Dr. to make sure there is no fungal infestation present.

Onycholysis does not necessarily contraindicate having her nails done or a manicure .. if it is not severe. It is all amatter of degree. If the nail is attached at least half way then sometimes having enhancements can even help the nails to grow through.

The affected nails should definitely be shorter than they are to stop further pressure causing the symptoms to continue.

Latest posts

Back