Power polish

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cfl

cfl
Reaction score
Helo, just want to ask if anyone on here does beauty therapy aswell as Shellac or gel polish nails? I'm a qualified beauty therapist and have been for 12 years. I'm interested in doing Shellac but even though I'm trained in manicure/pedicure and acrylic nails I don't actually do acrylics, and just do the natural nails I have had Shellac and another one Gellux on my own nails and like the fact that it is a good option for longer lasting manicures. My clients tell me that they love my pedicures; that they last a month anyway and probably like somethig like Shellac for their fingernails. I wondered if because I don't do acrylics/gel nails will doing just Shellac, buying all the products, training etc be worth it as clients tend to go to nail bars and Nail Techs and not bother with someone who does all the other treatments too. What I'm trying to say is do people find that they wasted their time investing or have they found it a great service to do and get plenty of work?
Sorry for waffling!!

I work in a salon where the owner just does beauty and shellac. She didn't do extension training & with nails we just offer shellac manicures and pedicures & we are booked up until august!! Its one of the most popular treatments i have seen in a long time

I'm a beauty and holistic therapist and did my Shellac training after a friend was raving about it. I trained in extensions but hated doing them, so now just work on the natural nail. Shellac has brought clients to me, and I have brought Shellac to clients. If your regulars are going on holiday you have a great treatment to offer. I personally have short unpainted nails. I wear Shellac on my toes because of the high shine finish, and if I'm going away, I'll pop some on my fingers. You also have the option of adding glitters which I didn't think my staid older ladies would go for, but they love it. As I don't offer extensions, I feel that these sorts of services give me the edge on enhancing the natural nail. Hope that helps x

Thank you for the replies, yes has helped me. Its just reassuring and gives me the confidence to move on with it. I'm such a 'what if' person when it comes to buying a new start up kit etc.
I do have people that have shown interest so I guess will have to take the plunge!! Thank you :D

A little History.

When Shellac exploded into the world of nail technicians it was marketed as the first 2 week manicure for ladies who loved their natural nails but who wanted a manicure service that lasted longer than a few days (or even a few hours in many cases). Shellac was the answer to a manicurists prayers in so many ways.

Nail technicians had a chance for the first time to really attract those natural nail lovers into their salons; and what a huge niche market to attract. Most ladies who love their natural nails were not attracted into nail salons for manicures and the few that were, were often disappointed in the results using an ordinary polish; long dry time, easy to smudge and spoil, etc.

Instead of doing the really smart thing and going after that new-to them niche market of natural nail clients, the majority of nail technicians got their enhancement clients to try this new miracle called Shellac. They ignored the target market of natural nail clients and went for the easy option of grabbing the clients they already had! Making this mistake caused many problems for many enhancement clients as Shellac was a polish not an enhancement product and no substitute for the strength that acrylics offered to them. No UV colour coat offers the strength of acrylics and many technicians were applying Shellac to damaged, weakened, thin bendy nails which it simply was not meant to accommodate.

Technicians turned back to enhancement products or added products to their colour coats that were stronger than the colour coats themselves to bulk up what they were using and this trend has continued.

You on the other hand want to capture the natural nail market that Shellac was made for. Great! The ladies who love polish love Shellac for lots of reasons:

1. Shellac looks like polish when applied to the nail. It does not have the thick sometimes rubbery look of many of the gels. It does not add bulk.
2. Natural nail ladies do not want their beautiful nails weakened by buffing or impatient removal. Shellac requires no nail buffing and removal is fast and easy leaving the nail surface clean with no need to buff to smooth it before re-application.
3. Clients love the shine of Shellac which is mirror-like and stays that way.
4. Clients love having their nails look perfect all the time.
5. Clients love the zero Dry time and that they can leave your salon without risk of denting or smudging their nails.
6. They also appreciate the fact that Shellac is hypo-allergenic and free of the chemicals that have been so much in the news such as formaldehyde, toluene, gluteraldehyde, many of the allergy-risk acrylates.

Shellac slots beautifully into a Beauty therapist's palette of products and also the whole the ethos/culture of a Health & Beauty therapist.

What I'm trying to say is do people find that they wasted their time investing or have they found it a great service to do and get plenty of work?

There are literally thousands of therapists including most of the major Spas in the United Kingdom who have now chosen Shellac as thier product of choice and who will swear to the fact that using Shellac has not only enhanced their repertoire, but that it has made their businesses boom. All this is a matter of record. You can see it here all over the site and you can do the research into the Spas.

I hope this has answered your questions.

I've recently gone self employed in a salon and although I want to concentrate on the nail side - I use Bio Sculpture and love it! - I have been doing bits & bobs of beauty while building up my client base. I have been promoting nails more than beauty though so am doing more nails. Hope that helps.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

I am a beauty therapist and a nail technician. For over twenty years waxing was my bread and butter! Now it's a completely different story, Enhancements and now Shellac has completely changed my life. While I still do some beauty treatments 90% of my time is Shellac. I am so glad I trained 10 years ago with CND it honestly is the best decision I've made.

Thank you to all of you - it has helped. I know Shellac is successful - I have to believe in myself - that I will be using something that is well used all over the world - just neeeded that extra kick. I need to believe in myself, think that's my big problem.

Thank you though for your time to reply - it sure has helped me:D

I have my own business doing everything beauty and nails. What do I do most of ..... CND Shellac!! I still do a fair share of facial etc but clients love CND Shellac!

thank you. Noticed you're in York. I'm in west yorks! I was going to start shellac inttoductory. offfer of £15
when done training. just out of interest what do you c:harge for file, cuticles and shellac

thank you. Noticed you're in York. I'm in west yorks! I was going to start shellac inttoductory. offfer of £15
when done training. just out of interest what do you c:harge for file, cuticles and shellac

£15!! It's not worth getting out of bed to charge £15. Like you said when you have done your training.. So if you complete you CND shellac class you shouldn't be charging any less than £20!

If you charge £15 and it takes an hour max! Take away your service cost lets estimate £5 that leave you with £10 profits then don't forget electricity/rent/petrol etc i estimate that around £5 per hour so you've made £5 for an hours treatment! That's less than minim wage!

Where about in West Yorkshire are you??

Once you charge £15 its soooo hard to up your prices I would suggest charging £25 then MAYBE if you want to do an offer for £20 but people know the price is £25 :)

£15!! It's not worth getting out of bed to charge £15. Like you said when you have done your training.. So if you complete you CND shellac class you shouldn't be charging any less than £20!

If you charge £15 and it takes an hour max! Take away your service cost lets estimate £5 that leave you with £10 profits then don't forget electricity/rent/petrol etc i estimate that around £5 per hour so you've made £5 for an hours treatment! That's less than minim wage!

Where about in West Yorkshire are you??

Once you charge £15 its soooo hard to up your prices I would suggest charging £25 then MAYBE if you want to do an offer for £20 but people know the price is £25 :)
Yes I understand that, but with me been a beauty therapist for years and only just doing Shellac I was thinking £15 because I'm new to it!! I suppose I should value myself more, it's right what you say though about when you take costs off etc. I guess I will start at £20 but people near me charge £20 and I know one lady who works in a tanning station charges £15 because she says she would rather be busy at that rate than charging more but that's the wrong thing to do really. Why should we work for nothing!! I know hair stylists know how to charge and when they do colours they charge a fortune.
Thanks so much for your reply. :biggrin:

Yes I understand that, but with me been a beauty therapist for years and only just doing Shellac I was thinking £15 because I'm new to it!! I suppose I should value myself more, it's right what you say though about when you take costs off etc. I guess I will start at £20 but people near me charge £20 and I know one lady who works in a tanning station charges £15 because she says she would rather be busy at that rate than charging more but that's the wrong thing to do really. Why should we work for nothing!! I know hair stylists know how to charge and when they do colours they charge a fortune.
Thanks so much for your reply. :biggrin:

We charge 28.00 and that includes removal which we explain .. Now the clients know they have paid for removal in that price, they are less inclines to pick the product off. The price does not change for clients even if they have removed themselves ... 28.00

Thanks. That. is such. good idea. Charge for removal too. I do believe that it makes a difference where you live for instance in the UK if you live down south costs are more people charge more than they do up North. Just how it is but I also work from home so that also affects things!

I think location plays a minor part but its what your worth! Good service cost money! People soon realise that when they go somewhere cheap and come back with there tail between there legs! :)

I think location plays a minor part but its what your worth! Good service cost money! People soon realise that when they go somewhere cheap and come back with there tail between there legs! :)

ha ha. thats funny! By the way I live in Keighley moved here from Hull in 1981 but still go back to see family a lot and love East Yorks

ha ha thats right! By the way I live in Keighley in W. Yorks. But I know York and the surrounding areas as I lived in Hull when I was younger and go back a lot.

Hi, I offer shellac and did lots of research on price and phoned sweet squared and had a chat with them who gave me loads of info and advise and my price is £25.00. Don't sell yourself or shellac cheap x

My husband grew up in Keighley .. Laurel Grove! Mill owners son. Textile man.

May I just add cfl... You are charging for your time, your education and your expertise. You must have that CONFIDENCE in yourself and your treatments and no one will ever question your prices...

If you are going to use the best... CND Shellac, then don't devalue the best brand by charging too little... You would never see Chanel charging a tenner for practically anything lol.. :D

As a Yorkshire lass... We look forward to meeting you in Leeds... It's HQ and we are all there to help!!! :hug:

Latest posts

Back