Pre-Designed tips... to enhance or not to enhance??

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jen2k

Reaction score
Hi, the title pretty much says it all but in a nutshell i bought some pre designed airbrushed nail tips which are absolutely stunning but the problem is can you put an acrylic overlay onto them or not?

I did try it out on a tip by applying clear acrylic over it and it looked awful... if i done anything wrong then could someone share any advice?

:hug:

Hi I put on a set yesterday on my self and overlayed it with clear acrylic and they look great. I put on a french set with a reflect of silvery flowers going over the design. Keep trying to take a photo of it, but my camera doesnt pick up the detail and they always look glary.
Cheers

Hi, the title pretty much says it all but in a nutshell i bought some pre designed airbrushed nail tips which are absolutely stunning but the problem is can you put an acrylic overlay onto them or not?

I did try it out on a tip by applying clear acrylic over it and it looked awful... if i done anything wrong then could someone share any advice?

Hiya,

You can use clear powder or clear gel over them no problem. I only tried them once:irked: The patterns are lovely but I found it impossible to blend the seam in and if I didn't blend the seam, it stood out a mile they were tips stuck on half way down your nail.

Not sure if this is the answer you were after, but it's my experience of them.:hug:

Thank you for your advice... i might have to give it another go then. it was so long ago im sure it was clear acrylic i used but it may not hav been so i reckon i'll try it again and find out

thanks xx

Good question !!

How do you blend pre-designed tips without taking the design off ......

Marlise

Good question !!

How do you blend pre-designed tips without taking the design off ......

Marlise

According to manufacturers, we do not need to blend the tips to make product adhere.
However, I have found that buffing them with a yellow ultra fine block is necessary BUT only enough swipes across to say you swiped it. No pressure, or you'll remove the design.
Also, as they are usually 'clear', you can either skip blending, or remove the well altogether and skip blending that away.
OR use an e-file and 'pre-blend' the well a bit before application to remove the bulk of it, then carefully finish blending after applying it to the nail.

hth's

According to manufacturers, we do not need to blend the tips to make product adhere.
However, I have found that buffing them with a yellow ultra fine block is necessary BUT only enough swipes across to say you swiped it. No pressure, or you'll remove the design.
Also, as they are usually 'clear', you can either skip blending, or remove the well altogether and skip blending that away.
OR use an e-file and 'pre-blend' the well a bit before application to remove the bulk of it, then carefully finish blending after applying it to the nail.

hth's

See V... full of good advice you are!! :)

I didnt think of removing the well altogether actually. I asked the people i bought the tips from about blending and they said it didnt need to be blended at all... one set i bought were based on clear tips and the others where an airbrushed french design... will definitely have to give it another go now cuz im curious!!

xx :hug: xx

Hi there

Great success with these..Every client is different.
Some times I blend.[with natural nail file - fuse without sacrificing integrity of natural nail or tip design]
Other times .. a swipe of CND glitter enamel or powder choices across seam will disguise appropriatly until next rebalance...I use these on nail biters mostly as you can place the smile line consitently to nail plate..giving the illusion of length to the nail plate..

HtH
XX J XX

See V... full of good advice you are!! :)

I didnt think of removing the well altogether actually. I asked the people i bought the tips from about blending and they said it didnt need to be blended at all... one set i bought were based on clear tips and the others where an airbrushed french design... will definitely have to give it another go now cuz im curious!!

xx :hug: xx

Well, as they are 'clear' you don't really need to blend the well as it won't show thru the product. There will be no visible seam.
BUT
if you prefer the bulk of your enhancement to be product, and less 'tips', then I would thin the well.
ALSO, clear/glass tips are more prone to breakage than regular tips. They simply aren't as flexible.
So.. probably best to give them the extra strength/support by thinning the well and letting the 'bulk' of the enhancement be the product (ie: gel or l&p).

hth's

I use them and have never had a problem with a seam showing, funnily enough i have just ordered some more from Sue at Allthingsnails she is known as Suey on the site go visit her web page!:)

BUT,

I only ever use ones where i am able to cut the well of the tip down without spoiling the design so you have more product for strength, so the ones where the design goes all the way up to top of well i do not use.
I only cut the well down, never blend as you will ruin design altogether, once applied very gently swipe over with white block buffer just to take shine off, too hard and design will come off :eek: apply clear acrylic or gel and voila done!

I have never had a visible seam.

Oh and for those who don't already know,,,,when they have grown out and you cannot stand that orrible gap anymore,,file of the acrylic just over the tip, go easy when the design starts coming off, re-apply acrylic or gel and you are left with a lovely set of natural nails without having to have soaked off and start again, WOW that was long sorry folks :eek: :rolleyes:

OMG Sue will kill me if she sees this!!!! i gave you the wrong name for her website :eek:

It is www.atyourfingertips.org.uk

Sorry :cry: :cry:

Oh and for those who don't already know,,,,when they have grown out and you cannot stand that orrible gap anymore,,file of the acrylic just over the tip, go easy when the design starts coming off, re-apply acrylic or gel and you are left with a lovely set of natural nails without having to have soaked off and start again, WOW that was long sorry folks :eek: :rolleyes:

Doh:eek:
Sometimes I kick myself ROFL I seriously NEVER once thought of stopping just at the design ha ha ha:lol: :lol: (good thing I can laugh at myself haha)
And it's such a simple and obvious thing to do.
errrr time to die my roots again, dang blonde is growing back
:lol:

Wow excellent advice! will def be tryin now im excited!!
it just seemed when i did it months ago you couldnt see the design on the tips very well but not sure if it was because i used too much product or just naff powder... will hav to practise and see wot i can come up with...

xx

That site is great debsy! thanks for the link!

xx

the tips you have the link to are "full well tips" to me these are for occasion nails (AKA press ons) the correct pre-designed tips to use with an overlay (gel or acrylic) have most of the well cut out (like a french tip) and are designed to not be buffed at all, if you insist on using the tips pictured you would have to cut out the wells evenly to make a smile line, then stick them on. Just like french tips, pre-designed tips are not for everyone and i'd only ever use them if the client had a nail bed long enough to show them off to their full potential.

Nailiteinc.com has a large selection of pre-desgined tips that are very affordable.
On Mondays, they are on special about ummmm 7$ for a 70count?
Most have the design closer to the well, so you don't lose it when you trim the length. And they are not full wells to be applied right up to the cuticle.

Hope that this helps.

Latest posts

Back