Pregnancy facials

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brandywine

Reaction score
I'm doing a pamper party for a heavily pregnant lady and she wants a facial. I'm just wondering what would be the best way to do this as she obviously can't lay flat on her back. My choices are:

1. Do it sitting up (which is less relaxing may be)
  2. Use a big bean bag for her to lean back on (not sure if she'll be comfortable though)
  3. Have her lie on her side with various pillows for support (could be best option I'm thinking).
It may all become obvious when I see her tomorrow and I can then decide, but I thought I'd ask for everyone's excellent advise first:).

Why can she not lie flat on her back? Sorry, never been pregnant. This puzzled me. How does she sleep?
Posted via Mobile Device

Apart from from it being extremely uncomfortable, it can restrict or affect blood flow to the baby, in mainly the second and third trimesters of pregnancy. This is because the growing baby makes the uterus heavy, and laying flat can place pressure on a major blood vessel called the 'vena cava'.

So she'd sleep on one side instead.

Apart from from it being extremely uncomfortable, it can restrict or affect blood flow to the baby, in mainly the second and third trimesters of pregnancy. This is because the growing baby makes the uterus heavy, and laying flat can place pressure on a major blood vessel called the 'vena cava'.

Ah right. You learn something new everyday.
Posted via Mobile Device

Thats true about not being able to lay on your back! It is most uncomfortable! Most have to sleep on their side. The last time I was pregnant, I had a facial and eye rescue. I laid down flat then she just propped the bed up so I wasnt totally flat. It worked fine for me and I was really comfortable :) Hth xx

mmmmmmmmmm not for the amount of time your facial will take, you are a little ott. sat longer in Anti-natal class than that.

Pelvic excesise, bath? how does she do this we are not talking sleeping long hours here. prop the bed a little, as above....Simple.

In my experience, the client would need to be seated up about 30-45 degrees and then use big pillows to support the whole back, some ladies will need a firmer support of lower back. I then take a towel, fold it up and place under the neck for extra neck support.

The big square pillows are ideal.

Some ladies also need a bit of support under the knees so depending on your massage bed I would decline the leg panel slightly.

I'm not a proffesional but this is what i would do...
I would sit on the sofa with a beanbag in-between my legs then have the lady lean against it with her head near your lap iykwim! that way you can lean in and she will be confortable.
All the best with it hon xx

One of those garden relaxer chairs maybe good :idea:.You would probably need a highish stool though.

well im 5 months preggers and find it very uncomfortable lying back..even for 5 minutes...

i would say the most comfortable way is to prop up head/back and prop up her feet sligthly with a cushion etc to help blood flow.. if i lay lean any other way parts of my body start getting numb:eek:

every pregnant person is different but this way you cant go wrong

Thanks for your help I'll take various pillows and a bean bag and see what will work best for her. Its always good to hear what others do. x

I've found although some find laying flat uncomfortable, the bigger issue with laying flat is sitting up afterwards as the majority of pregnant clients I have treated have found dizzyness a problem due to lowered blood pressure. I personally have always done as some others have suggested, i.e. on the couch with the back slightly raised & normally with support beneath the calves to relieve pressure on the lower back.

Thanks for everyone's help. In the end I used the covered bean bag for her to lay back on (my couch doesn't lift up) with a bolster under her knees and she said she was very comfortable.

Latest posts

Back