Pregnant Client

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barbiekc84

Reaction score
Just come back from infill's with my client who is 21 weeks pregnant. She asked me would she be ok to keep her nails on if she goes in for a c-section (her first was).

Obviously not her top priority but would like to know if she needs to book in for a soak off! Any ideas guys?

Kelly x

What a strange question - well i suppose its not to her. I wouldn't have thought she would have to have them off unless she thinks she could harm the baby when they hand the baby to her : ( Can't help any more i'm afraid. Lisa

Usually they do ask that they are removed she would need to ask her doctor :) Hth

not sure about a c section specifically but i had to have all enhancements off and no nail polish on fingers or toes when i went in for a minor operation a month ago. x

Not sure - I know that if you have a general anaesthetic they prefer you you to have nothing on the nails so they can see the colour of your nail beds (something to do with the oxygen in your blood stream).
I would definitely recommend she checks with her doctor.
hth

Yes take them off before she goes in. I would say this to anybody that is pregnant and not planning on having a c section anyway, as you never know what will happen.
Also I wouldn't want them on whilst handling a new born baby.

It really isn't a silly question it can be really important as they can interfere with important monitoring devices. You can sometimes get away with just removing 2 but to be honest I don't see the point as it just looks daft xxx

She needs to find out the hospital policy. Some say enhancements are OK and some say not.

I have never removed my nails for an op. NEVER ... if the Dr. said no, I insisted. there are other means to monitor Oxygen levels and temperature.

Neither is it harmful to the baby to wear nail enhancements which in fact are much softer and much less sharp than natural nails.

Obviously you don't want to wear enhancements that are a stupid length but with a normal length one is perfectly able to cope normally with an infant.

If she is having a planned c-sec then chances are she wont have her oxygen levals monitered anyway as she'll be wide awake and chatting etc.

If she is having a planned c-sec then chances are she wont have her oxygen levals monitered anyway as she'll be wide awake and chatting etc.

If she loves her nails tell her to insist. Wear them natural and no polish. I'm sure they will let her. My daughter had her nails on for her deliveries no problems.

Hi hun, even if you are planning to have a c-section it doesn't mean to say it wont turn into an emergency one. I didnt plan on having one at all. I wanted a water birth and next minute I was being rushed in for emergency c-section in the recovery room as there was no theatre space :eek:
Just think you can never be too careful.
I have removed my sisters already who is due in 5 weeks. :hug: xxx

You are quite right Kylieb.

Having had two (kids not c-secs!) there is nothing guarenteed about it!

I guess the bottom line is for the client to ask her consultant.

Although for what its worth i wouldnt remove mine either! :lol:

This thread is very timely to me as I have to have a c-section next month as well and am about to meet with the consultant on Friday about it. I don't want to take my nails off, but don't know what the policy is yet (the midwives seem very vague about it).

It's a bit about vanity, but it's also because my natural nails are really crummy and split so easily if I don't have enhancements on. I'm going to have enough things to complain about next month without having sore fingers too!

I wear them very short anyway, so I don't think that they could harm the baby in any way, but on another board I'm on, one nurse suggested "My concern for you is that germs colonize underneath artificial nails. I would not want to be around a newborn or surgical wound with any kind of false nails. Wearing artificial nails is a serious offense in many hospitals. It doesn't matter how well you wash your hands. Studies have shown significant association between artificial nails of nurses and Klebsiella pneumoniae in a NICU."

I don't want to come off as some beauty obsessed princess when I go to this appointment, but I also don't want to have to take off my nails "just because". I'll let you know what they say :)

Germs do not colonize under well maintained nail enhancements ... this is different to artificial nails (stick ons) which you can buy in Boots. This person is talking about stick ons not enhanced nails.
This thread is very timely to me as I have to have a c-section next month as well and am about to meet with the consultant on Friday about it. I don't want to take my nails off, but don't know what the policy is yet (the midwives seem very vague about it).

It's a bit about vanity, but it's also because my natural nails are really crummy and split so easily if I don't have enhancements on. I'm going to have enough things to complain about next month without having sore fingers too!

I wear them very short anyway, so I don't think that they could harm the baby in any way, but on another board I'm on, one nurse suggested "My concern for you is that germs colonize underneath artificial nails. I would not want to be around a newborn or surgical wound with any kind of false nails. Wearing artificial nails is a serious offense in many hospitals. It doesn't matter how well you wash your hands. Studies have shown significant association between artificial nails of nurses and Klebsiella pneumoniae in a NICU."

I don't want to come off as some beauty obsessed princess when I go to this appointment, but I also don't want to have to take off my nails "just because". I'll let you know what they say :)

i have had four sections and every time i have been asked to reomve my nails before going in .(all four were planned). I asked why and they that should they need to do a general then they will need to see the nails for oxygen purposes.

I needed to be knocked out for the second one halfway through due to blood loss so it can happen.

only my experience of course, but maybe worthwhile calling somewhere like NHS Direct to see if there is a standard policy?

tigi

Your nail enhancements do NOT HAVE to be removed, they can moniter oxygen levels through the toe nails and in my opinion i have to agree with geeg on the fact that germs do not colonize under nail enhancments. I had my nails on giving birth to my daughter and my midwife and surgen told me it was fine if i wanted to keep them on. I had to have an aneasthetist and surgen available to hand as my daughter had managed to wrap her neck around the cord three times and i was strep b positive. So being an extreme case myself, id imagine it would be ok for a planned c section or natural birth. HTH XX

Hi There ,

Every hospital will have different policies so the only thing for her to do is ASK her hospital . I have just recently had an operation under general Anesthetic and I telephoned my consultant who said it was fine to have enhancements on as long as they were clear (no polish colour )

On the other hand one of my clients also had an operation a week after me but at a different hospital and they INSISTED that she had nothing on her nails

So the thing for her to do is just ask what the policy is at the hospital she will be attending :)

Karen

I had a C-section with my daughter and they let me keep my nails on at the time they did however remove my polish from my toe nails. It was an emergency c-section so I think the last thing on the list was socking my nails off.....lol
:) Good luck xx

I recently had a client who when asked to booked her infill appointment told me the hospital removed the acrylic extensions i had put on whilst she was under anesthetic :eek:

VERY tall story i think! :rolleyes:

Germs do not colonize under well maintained nail enhancements ... this is different to artificial nails (stick ons) which you can buy in Boots. This person is talking about stick ons not enhanced nails.

Hi Geeg! (I like your new picture!)

The nurse who provided the above quote on the other board I'm on posted this link to a Kaiser Permanente Handwashing study that keeps referring to "artificial nails": Kaiser Permanente National Hand Hygiene Program . I read through it and could not find any indication WHAT KIND of artificial nails they are talking about - I can certainly see stick-ons to be a problem, but again, this is not specified.

It's something that indicates to me a HUGE gap in education - the work we do gets lumped into the Boots press-on nails category, and people think we just perpetuate these breeding colonies of bacteria on peoples' hands. However, clients who do get our enhancements and don't take care of them (we've all seen that... people coming in with a world of crud under their free edge!) don't help either.

The attitudes on my other board (a non-industry board - the reason I asked about nails over there was because there are a lot of nurses and ER staff who post over there, and I wanted to know what staff were instructed to do to care for patients who came in for emergency care when they had enhancements on) are very much "oh, yuck - I hate fake nails, they are so gross!", etc, but I would bet most of them have no idea what an actual nail enhancement is.

Sorry to hijack - I guess I'm just frustrated.

Hi there, I had to soak mine off for a c section as the nurses etc like to be able to test the colour in the nail bed by lightly pinching! Hope this makes sense, its to check for blood flow etc. Hope this helps, Laura xx

Latest posts

Back