Pregnant! Hairdresser

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you so much :)
Was wondering if this was going to last forever but I have a dr appointment Monday, couple of you have said the first bits the hardest, so this is reassuring!
I know everyone has said about breaks ect being self employed but as we don't have a junior I'm not allowed to just do what I want and book out time and Visa versa

Well in that case you are not self employed and your boss is just tax dodging.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

With my first child I worked right the way through, I was the first to say things like pregnancy is not an illness and we should all just get on with doing things as normal etcc...etcc

However with my second child ill is not the right word, tired is a massive understatement, I was anaemic and no amount of iron took proper effect, low bp, couldn't stop throwing up day and night, there is no way I could have worked at all, it made me feel depressed which for anyone who knows me seems impossible.

Go see your dr, I hope they will help you, mine didn't until I changed gynaecologist at around 7 months despite blood tests what seemed like every week.

It is awful to feel that way, before I had that experience I couldn't have imagined it, every pregnancy is different and don't feel bad for feeling ill.

anyone who says you're pregnant and not ill hasnt had a tough pregnancy. Sometimes you feel like you're bloody ill. With my son it was just first tri and I felt back to.normal by 11 weeks but with my daughter I had everything under the sun and i remember crying at 5 months that if anyone else had been feeling this ill every day for 5 months then everyone would be really concerned! I had migraines which sent me to bed several times a week and severe headaches the other days, sickness, anaemia to the point that even on 3 iron tabs a day and more broccoli than you can shake a stick at I was still borderline so felt drained until the day I had her, backache, carpal tunnel, dizzyness etc etc and it was hard. your bosses have to and will be more lenient once they know. Although as above, if you're self employed then you can actually do what you want but it sounds as if theyrr treating you as an employee which isn't right anyway, you should be checking put the checklist on the hmrc website of what constitutes self employed.

Stretch your appointments. If you normally book 45 for a cbd, book and hour. Take the pressure off yourself. Say no to clients rather than knock yourself out. Work half days.
Your rent surely isn't so high that you've got to knock yourself out to pay it?

I agree surely the rent isn't that bad and worst case being pregnant you should be able to get out of your contract. I would go to the Dr's though heart palpations etc iv worked with a lot of women who have been pregnant and iv never known someone be that ill. Salons will always have chairs to rent your health is far more important and stressing will just make everything worse. Hope you feel better soon.

Last edited:
I'm freelance in hair and beauty, had awful nausea and pains from the start, came down with the flu and didn't get out of bed for a week then felt better around the 3rd and 4th month. But since then I'm always complaining about being in pain and generally feeling run down and I got the same response "pregnancy isn't an illness!" But from 28 weeks I've had a few complications and been told by 3 midwives and my consultant that I HAVE to give up my work and I'm not allowed to drive far on my own anymore so now everyone who said that to me is chewing on their words. I knew there was a problem with my pregnancy before it was diagnosed, always trust your gut instinct hun. I hope you start to feel better soon xxx

I completely agree,I'm expecting with my second,due in 4wks.girst pregnancy I breezed through if,this time,I'm soo tired,feel lightheaded,sick,aches and pains I'm on countdown!but it's made me look at pregnancy in a different light,I was like your pregnant not ill,but only because I didn't have the understanding,now I completely feel for anyone who feels rubbish when pregnant.its hard being self employed and working,but you have to put yourself and baby first xx

I had twins and had SPD and was on bed rest for ages pregnancy may not be an illness but it is far from easy ! I would at least drop a day maybe Wednesday break up your week ? X

Sent from my iPad using SalonGeek mobile app

Thank you so much :)
I went to the doctors, turned out I had a viral infection and obviously my immune system Is weak!
Feeling a lot better just major nausea ;)
I normally work 45 hours a week and 2-4 hours with home hair so now trying to arrange to cut down.
Would I have to pay my rent for 5 days If I wanted to do 4 days a week?
I pay £55 a day plus my own expense (colours etc)
Also can anyone give me an idea on what hour they done? When you went on maternity leave and how long for?
Sorry for all the questions 🔫
Xx

Both my jobs I work on my feet all day with clients.
Tell your manager, and if you ask them not to share the news, they can't ,however, I felt telling everyone fairly early meant when I did feel awful, every understood.
As an employer they need to do a risk assessment with you asap. Its legal for them as soon as they know. You can request in there to wear comfortable shoes (if you dont have already, I have to wear dolly pumps and now wear trainers), and they should be giving you at least a 20 min break per 3 hours on your feet.
I found with faintness (which i had a lot of) the only thing to help was going out the front door and sitting outside on the floor if need be!
It can't be stopped, however you need to sit asap and somewhere cool.
Be drinking enough water, and I was also advised be eating almost constantly, I usually had a packet of grapes with me to be chewing on or light biscuits. Also had a bottle of Coke to sip on in between water through the day for a sugar rush. This helped with faint times.
Because you rent the chair, Im thinking surely you can work as you please? Slow down your bookings, take enough breaks in between to sit or eat?

Im now 6 months pregnant and have found since around 4 months ive been comfortable again, I do not get faint or feel sick.
My problem now is sore feet, sore back and tiredness!!

You'll get past this bit quickly enough hopefully, just be sensible. You know your body, so dont push it x

Thank you that's a great help:)
Can't exactly work as I please unfortunately :/ which isn't right as someone who is suppose to be self employed but once the news is out they have no choice but to understand.

And back ache? When you are only a matter of weeks pregnant?
I would ask the Dr if you have a UTI or a kidney infection because it's not like you have a huge bump putting strain on your back

Clearly you've never worked in a salon nor have you ever been pregnant. So you're literally nobody to give advice. I came looking for advice myself as pretty much all the symptoms she has is very common in the first trimester. So go be a troll elsewhere ✋

Yup but you feel flipping awful!! And sometimes your body responds to it as an illness. I was so Ill for almost the whole pregnancy with my first with shingles twice, spd, sciatica and morning sickness. And my second the same apart from only having shingles once. Everyone is different. do as the rest say schedule breaks and stretch appointments. Take each day at a time x congratulations btw x

Latest posts

Back