pricelist - detailed or not detailed?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hippy-chick

Reaction score
Just following on from another thread about pricelists, I was wondering, do you have details of the treatment to entice them in, or do you just have treatment time and price?

at the moment I have a brief description of each treatment, but as many of my treatments are not of the 'norm' a few people have said that they don't have a clue what my treatments involve, eventhough I have a brief description.
eg
Tibetan Head massage
Honey massage
Ayurvedic foot ritual

I am considering going from a tri-fold pamphlet, to 2 x A4 folded sheets, so that clients get more of an idea of what I am about.

What works?

Well I would like all of the above, but have ni idea what you would do :confused:. So a brief description would be helpful I think, gives you something to look forward to as well. Well it would me.
As for the time it takes, I dont really like having that in a price list, who knows for sure it will take that long, you have to allow for the unexpected...Just my 2 penneth..:hug: x

Suze, I specify that the times are appropriate but around 25/55/75 mins.

Hello Ann,

I try & make my treatments sound as nice as possible, giving as much detail as possible in a small space.

Marketeers usually say that 'the more you tell, the more you sell'.

With our monthly special offers, we've defo noticed more people booking in for the nicer & more descriptive treatment. (they're usually more expensive as well)

As an aside, there is a complementery health place near the salon & amongst other treatments they do Auricular Acupuncture. Now most people probably don't even know what that is, but they don't even explain what it is. I can't imagine that many would book in for something that they don't know about.

I have wondered about this too.

I have decided to divide the treatments into sections eg Holistic Massage, sell the general benefits in a paragraph then give the prices for body massage, indian head, Aroma and Hot stone. Another section wil be waxing and again, sell benefits followed by pricing.

Also, could you keep your price list as it is and print a factsheet on your treatments, you could include a contra-indications and contra-actions section too if appropriate. If you took this option you could judge whether to include it or not with the pricelist depending on client knowledge.

A website may be a good place to give in-depth info, details of which you could include on the pricelist. You could then go to town on selling your treatments.

By the way, the treatments you mention do sound good already even tho I don't really know what they involve!!!!

Last edited:
thanks for the comments.
I do direct people to my website as I have a description of the treatments with nice pictures.

I offer auricular acupuncture too, and its mostly my reflexology clients that book it inconjuction, as I tell them about it.

I offer special treatments everymonth, and try and put a few sentences about the treatment, BUT its NOT ENOUGH! People are still asking for more details. Even the hairdressers don't know what they are about and I talk to them about the treatments individually.

I try and get the hairdressers to come upstairs and I demo the treatment OR I do a treatment on one of the hairdresser's - that helps a little.

Because most of my treatments are holistic treatments that aren't bog-standard, it doesn't attract people, its almost like they are scared to book a treatment incase they get it embarrasingly wrong.

I make a point of collecting other salons and spas leaflets and look how they word things, and I must admit, I haven't got a clue what half of the treatment are about!

I also have a small core of clients that automatically book my 'new' therapy without question.

We do a body work out treatment, I put in the description what this is and what the benefits are. Most people would think it is something to do with gyms. But it is a slimming treatment.

Explain your treatments is my advice

my price list is 4 x a4 pages half fold i do everything in beauty and hair parties and weddings and i have always found it best to give as much detail as poss and to give a estamated timings as peoplse lifes are so busy now they know when they can fit something in, i uesd to have a tri fold a4 page with not much detail and then i was explaning everything to people wich is time consuming and not always taken in when verbaly told. if you see what i mean.

Great minds think alike as i was thinking about posting the exact same thread from reading the other thread!

I currently use discriptions for all of my treatments, hence me having to change my leaflet layout, lol. It seems to work well, but i do wonder sometimes if "too much is too much" if you know what i mean. I always do a treatment of the month poster, and so many times regulr clients have said oh i didnt know you did that, is it new? (when its actually been on my brochure since the start, lol) I wonder if there is just to much to read through?

I have 2 A4 sheets folded into an A5 brochure & stapled, split into holistic therapies, facials, beauty treatments & 'spa' body treatments. For each thing I have the treatment, the time & price as well as a short paragraph about the treatment. I try to make it sound enticing & explain a little of what it involves. I think the important thing is to explain it's benefit to the client - why they should try it, what it will do for them & so forth rather than an explanation of the procedure or it's history (although a brief sentence on this is normally a good idea).

On my website (still being developed!) I'm having an at-a-glance pricelist & a sub menu for holistic therapies, facials & beauty treatments with more detail. I have seen pricelists done in this way, i.e. a nice brochure explaining everything & a seperate sheet with the prices, thus enabling prices to be put-up without redoing the brochure. This also enables you to give them a price-list only if they don't need/want the brochure.

thanks for that Martin, it is a costly business, so giving a seperate price list is such a brill idea.
gonna rep you x

What about a seperate pamphlet that has
'your treatments explained' as an option for people who don't know exactly 'what its all about'

x

Really like that idea Pazzy...I provide beauty treatments but have quirky names for some of my treatments like Twinkle Toes...which is a mini pedicure. I have to explain my treatments on my leaflets too as clients are unsure about some things that I offer.
I also put times but make a note that states that times are estimates only, just in case I run under or over.
As for clients being scared to book incase they get it wrong, why not state on your leaflet that if clients would like more info you are happy to chat with them ? They'll probally realise then that it's quite common for people to be unsure and that their not the only one... wish I was in Durham.. treatments sound fab. x

Hey! I am currently designing my new leaflets, which have turned into booklets as I am offering more treatments. What I have decided to do is on page one a picture of the salon front with my rooms and one of myself with an introduction about me and the business, then on page one just a price list with treatment names, price and 'approx times'. Then I am going to explain each treatment in sections ie. Nails, Hands, Feet, Waxing, Massage, Eyebrow and Eye Enhancements, Tanning etc. And at the end of the booklet I am gathering some comments from current clients who have tried the treatments. Well, thats the current plan anyway :rolleyes:

I think for holistic/alternative therapies it is so important to detail as much information as possible as many clients have no idea how it works.

I have been having a course of kinesiology and I needed as much information as possible to understand what it was and how it works. If it just said the treatment name and what it helped to treat I wouldn't bother.

In my opinion you have done good by giving a brief description and the really good thing is that you can personally explain to them what the tibiten head massage, honey massage and ayurvedic foot ritual is. If you are happy with the way you have done it, you should keep it . Sometimes too much information is can be overwhelming for the client. :)

I like descriptions! In as much detail as poss but without an essay iykwim!
Why don't you pootle about some salons, and pick up their treatment lists to give you an idea of what everyone else does, or you could ring and ask them to send one.

I put a brief description and pricing on my leaflets. I then have separate leaflets (although nobody ever asks for them) with a detailed explanation or they can visit my website.

The reason I do this is because I personally have found it too difficult to choose a treatment in the past when there was too much information. Having read other reply's on this thread I'm not sure I'm right though as perhaps some people want more information:confused:.

I think everyone's different. Most of it's about getting enough information in a shortish text and keeping the price-list easy to navigate. I use coloured bands for the headings to draw the eye from treatment to treatment, with a few lines under each one of descriptions. When I give them out I also ask the person if there's anything in particular they're looking for and show them where in the price list that information is - helps them find they're way about it more easily! I have the name, opening hours etc on the front cover, body/holistic treatments in the front two pages, facials in the middle two, beauty treatments (inc manicures/pedicures in the back two & on the very last page have 'spa' body treatments.

Latest posts

Back