Prices for room to rent in hairdressers

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vixen100

Reaction score
Is £50 a day to rent a small room within a hairdressers too much it is not in a city centre, next to a delhi shop. I am looking at doing beauty and nails.

She said that obviously if i had it for a week it would go down in price but surely this is too much. It does not include vat either and I am limited to the hours that they work.

Above is some flats with wooden floor and it is quite noisy.

There is also the option of me just doing nails as ther is a nail station within the hairdressing bit and renting that how much do you think is normal rent just for a nail station.

Also i had a friend who worked within a hairdressers and she founf it a real problem working as all the hair got everywhere and simple things like hairspray in the air affecting the sealent, gels etc? Has anyone had any experience of this?:green:

When I worked self employed in a hairdressers and did my own hours say 9.30 to 3pm mon - fri NO sats. I paid £50 for the week.

sounds too expensive. £20 per day would be ok and if you did a week she gets £100 that would be better HTHs

I would personally say that is a lot to pay, you have to look at what the potential is and how busy the hairdressers is and would the hair clients have beauty treatments too. I used to be in somewhere doing beauty and the room had no heating so it got cold and the people in the flat above where noisy so imagine hearing them when having a relaxing facial or massage (clients may never come back again because of this, which happened in the salon i was in). I have rented a nail space in a hair salon and payed £60 a week, but the salon owner used to butt in constantly and i no longer felt it was my nail business i felt as though i worked for her which got really annoying. I was constantly cleaning up hair from the table and it got stuck in my brush etc, it was a pain tbh. For the £60 a week i got the space ( i provided the table, chairs, products, leaflets, cards, posters etc)

ok thanks, do you think £20 sounds reasonable for the nail table, or less as it is not a seperate room. Also does £ 20 sound reasonable for just for the seperate beauty room. or more as its it own room?:lol:

I have had experience of this. I rented a space in a hair salon and agreed to pay £50 per week(2 days). I found that because the owner of the salon was getting her money no matter what, they did not help to promote me. I know that I was the one providing the service and the one who had to make a reputation for myself by word of mouth but found that I got the initial clients coming back and a few of their friends but really struggled getting new clients. It all became clear when a lady who usually attended the salon on a day I didn't work came in when I was there and said she never even knew I existed!! Strange really because when I was there and left there were leaflets out on the hair stations and reception?

I am now in a salon and when I went to meet the guy explained to him that I would prefer to pay him 20% commission ( i provide all my own products). It was a bit like once bitten twice shy .

This way I feel we both have a commitment to each other. I am paying him for letting me be in HIS salon and having access to HIS clients who I would never normally be able to target which I REALLYy appreciate .One the other hand he has a vested interest and is making everyone who walks in (or past the salon) know that I am there.

I started 2 weeks before Xmas and this is working very well so far. Hope this helps and good luck!! I will be interested to see how it works for you.

With regard to the beauty part, it's up to you as to whether you enjoy nails enough to do them solely ,but clients like to (and should) relax whilst having beauty treatments and it would be a shame if you put your reputation on the line by someone starting to make a noise upstairs. The client probably wouldn't come back. They would then not recommend you to others for the wrong reasons (i.e noisy but not your fault) and it may not do your motivation/ego any good although you KNOW it wasn't your fault.

Last edited:
£50 a day ????? Way too dear. Should be more like £20 a day.

Obviously location will play a part but I pay £50 a week. As others have said £50 a day sounds a lot. Can you negotiate a lower rate with the owner?

that is very expensive!

why not offer to go in for half a day and do all the staff a free treatment? I did this before I took a room above a hairdressers. I did this to get a feel for the room, see what the noise levels were like and get to know the hairdressers, also so they could get to know me.

I've been there 3 months and have just offered to give them a free treatment again. Hopefully this will encourage them to promote me more.

I wish I could figure out the money difference from what you guys are talking about to my canadian money lol - I am not good at that!

Where I live - most hairstylists pay $600/month and the buy their own products/supplies.

Thankyou you have all been a great help!

That is way too much to pay, thats the kinda price you would pay if you was right in the city in a very busy salon. my sis got offered £20.00 which i think is reasonable i think most salons do charge ruffly £20-£25 a day xx

Last edited:
I agree with everyone else. £50 sounds over the top. I think about £20 is reasonable and hopefully they will do your bookings for you too.
I also think it would be a good idea to offer the salon owner a cash bonus for a full book, ie if you get over 75% booked up maybe you could offer an extra cash bonus on top of your rent for example - or free services to the salon owner.
I agree with the other poster that the salon is less likely to sell your services if they dont make any commission from you.

I'd also be aware of any noise coming from the hairdryers, my facial and massage clients constantly commeneted on this, although I was emplyed not working for mysefl :)

Hi hun :)

I pay £50 - £75 per week for my room!! I am in a health, hair, beauty & wellbeing center & can work whichever hours I like.
My friend is a nail tech & pays £75pw for her desk.

I was once quoted £40pd for a room but looked around & found a better & cheaper one.
x

Latest posts

Back