Prickly heat - any advice?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heatherp

Reaction score
Hi Guys

My client last night has suddenly started to suffer with prickly heat, she has been given anti histamine from docs but this is not helping at all.

She getting upset as in the night she has stratched and caused bleeding which is now inflamed and looks a little infected.

She's getting married soon and is worried she's going to scar herself or something

Any advice you guys can help with, products that have worked for you????

Thanks peeps

Heather x

just wondering if it is prickly heat. my kids (when we lived in very hot climate) used to get it at the coast. but with prickly heat powder calmed it down. perhaps someone has better suggestions.... cool bath and powder and back to the Doc me thinks. (i use skinsure cream when i get the itch scratch syndrome). xxx

Hi

She should go back to her doctor (or a different one) and check that it isn't solar urticaria or polymorphic light eruptions. I have the former and it took YEARS to diagnose. Anti-histimines don't even touch it, and when it's really severe the only thing that works to bring it down is steroid creams/injections.

I think these are comparatively rare conditions, so it might not be that, but steroid creams are a great short term solution, despite their negative press. Hth x

My son suffered every time he went on holiday, with prickly heat. It apparently has something to do with the sweat glands not opening as they should when it is hot.

The doctor advised him to always have one or two sessions in a sauna BEFORE every holiday to open the pores and he has never suffered since!

Good old fashioned Calamine Lotion can help sooth the irritation in the mean time.

thats very interesting about the sauna.
i am a sufferer and my doc told me it is an allergy to u.v light rather than the temperature itself. mine stays under control for the most part by taking anti histamine tablets.

That's right - it is UV light. And the depressing thing is that unless you "grow out of it" there's nothing you can really do to prevent it except staying out of the sun :(

Oh well - hopefully that means less wrinkles!

That's right - it is UV light. And the depressing thing is that unless you "grow out of it" there's nothing you can really do to prevent it except staying out of the sun :(

Oh well - hopefully that means less wrinkles!

UV cannot be the sole reason for prickly heat ..

I've had it once or twice over the years when excessively hot and I live in the sun which would indicate I would always be affected if it were just a matter of UV light ... perhaps a few different factors affect different people. Like most things it will be a combination of things not only one thing or t'other!

Interesting find on the internet which supports my doctors diagnosis and treatment: Nothing about UV light here.

Prickly Heat (Miliaria Rubra) is a skin disorder which produces an irritating skin rash as the result of obstructed sweat-glands. The prickly heat rash is non-inflammatory and affects people of all ages, though it is most commonly suffered by infants. For those who are genetically predisposed to prickly heat, recurrence is common.

SYMPTOMS

Small, fluid-filled blisters on the skin.

Red, irritating or itchy rash.
Clusters of blisters which come and go during exposure to sunlight or humid, hot weather.

Irritation to areas where perspiration is heavy.

Diaper rash.

Red, bumpy rash on areas of skin which are covered by clothing.

CAUSES

Prickly heat appears when the sweat-gland ducts become obstructed.

Poor hygiene.

Hot, humid weather.

Obesity.

Genetically inherited.

Over activity during hot weather.

Wearing polyester or lycra while exercising in warm weather.

Allergies to deodorants or antiperspirants.

Apologies - I confused replies. I meant a reaction to UV is what causes mine, which isn't prickly heat anyway!

thats very interesting about the sauna.
i am a sufferer and my doc told me it is an allergy to u.v light rather than the temperature itself. mine stays under control for the most part by taking anti histamine tablets.

Ah so what you have then is an allergy to UV and not prickly heat at all. It would not do for you to live here in Spain then.

I thought this thread was about 'prickly heat'?

ive found that using dermalogica 'multi vitamin body block' works everytime. it worked for me and so i recomend it all the time. i have clients coming back to me saying how fab it was and they didnt itch atall whilst on holiday!! its obviously more expensive than an off the shelf sunscreen, but if the prickly heat is that bad, you would be willing to spend the money to avoid the discomfort prickly heat causes...

Im pleased that someone has bought this topic up as Im currently covered in 'little blisters' never had heat rash before, and to be honest dont want it again...its driving me...:mad:!!!

Apologies - I confused replies. I meant a reaction to UV is what causes mine, which isn't prickly heat anyway!

seems the docs dont all agree then.
he told me it is prickly heat and prickly heat is caused by uv intollerance rather than temperature.

seems the docs dont all agree then.
he told me it is prickly heat and prickly heat is caused by uv intollerance rather than temperature.

According to everything I have read, what he has told you is not the case (maybe a slip of the tongue). Apart from, there is no heat without UV, of course there is a connection but UV intolerance is not the same as prickly heat.

Latest posts

Back