Prickly heat

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gemspinky

Reaction score
Hi everyone.
I know it's not beauty related so fingers crossed this thread won't be removed as I need anyone's advice please.

I suffer with really bad prickly heat on my chest arms and back.
I've not been directly in the sun but still have it :-(

Does anyone have any advice other than antihistamine tablets and allergy sun lotion?
They don't work for me. I've even had steroid injections in the past to try calm it.

Any home remedies maybe??

Thank you in advance xx

If you can have regular steam or saunas for a while they are supposed really help.

I used to suffer, got Eurax from chemist, took the horrible itch away. Now I don't suffer with it. Good luck x

Thank you both so much :)

Xx

Antihistamines r good for it cool showers and cotton tops xx

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

I suffer so badly! Omg I doing know you could get steroids for it I will be asking my gp next week!

Hey, you can get a cooling spray called Magicool (a fiver in Superdrug) and you spray that wherever whenever and it helps cool the area. I think on the bottle it says it helps with your problem.
I have a heart problem that causes me to faint a lot and one of my triggers is heat, so I spray this on my face to cool me down and it does help. It smells really nice too even though it says it's unscented. :)

Thank you lovelies xx

I'm in agony and tearing my legs to pieces, they're so itchy. It's been so hot in my room that each day my trousers were actually wet from the heat……I can't have the window open wide as clients are naked and the fan just makes the room hotter. Anyway, I now have Prickly Heat all over my legs and the allergy tabs and lotions are not working:(

It's horrible isn't it- I think I have the opposite problem though as I don't seem to sweat- it's as if it's just that maybe the sweat gets stuck under my skin.
I saw someone at the hospital once about it and was going to have a light therapy treatment but as I'm not abroad enough(only a couple of times a yr) they wouldn't do for me. I've had steroid injections, tablets, special sun creams etc gggrrrrrr.

Good luck everyone with treatments, I'm going to a pharmacy tomorrow to get that cream- fingers crossed :)
Xx

Have you tried dousing yourself in talc before you get dressed. Its absorbs some of the moisture. I lived in NY for a while and the summers are brutally hot and humid. It was a little trick I picked up from my workmates.

If you already have prickly heat try having a tepid bath with an oat based bath oil like Aveeno. It'll help stop the itching. Or you can put some oats in an old pair of tights and tie it up and let the water run through it. It helps relieve the itchiness, its really good for eczema as well.

I scratch mine so hard it bleeds and scabs! I'm going in holiday in 2 weeks so praying the doc gives me some strong anti histamines

Hazel be quick as it's recommended to start on antihistamine at least 3 weeks before you are going to be exposed to sun. A lot of people wait till itch starts but that's too late.

Hazel be quick as it's recommended to start on antihistamine at least 3 weeks before you are going to be exposed to sun. A lot of people wait till itch starts but that's too late.

Oh no! Really? I'm not booked in till next Monday!!! I away go on Wednesday. Maybe I will try and get an emergency slot. Thanks

Hi
I used to suffer badly but find this works:
Take Boots one a day non drowsy antihistamines for a few days/week before you go on hols to get into your system and continue when you are there for few days.It works for me and also if I get bitten now I don't suffer horrible mosquito lumps as body already geared up!
Good luck as I know its awful

I only suffer if I'm abroad but I've found witch hazel gel is really soothing x

Oh no! Really? I'm not booked in till next Monday!!! I away go on Wednesday. Maybe I will try and get an emergency slot. Thanks

My friend is a GP and I read all her medical news (love reading it all but sadly I'm a hypochondriac and have had every disease from swine flu to ebola. Happily I have a terrible memory and only have these diseases for about half an hour at a time.) and I remember this being reported about 2 years ago. I spoke to my friend tonight and her surgery prescribes antihistamines up to 3 weeks before holidays for patients who've experienced bad prickly heat and also for the duration of the holiday.
If you don't get an appointment sooner just pop into chemist and buy some over the counter antihistamines. Good luck.

My friend is a GP and I read all her medical news (love reading it all but sadly I'm a hypochondriac and have had every disease from swine flu to ebola. Happily I have a terrible memory and only have these diseases for about half an hour at a time.) and I remember this being reported about 2 years ago. I spoke to my friend tonight and her surgery prescribes antihistamines up to 3 weeks before holidays for patients who've experienced bad prickly heat and also for the duration of the holiday.
If you don't get an appointment sooner just pop into chemist and buy some over the counter antihistamines. Good luck.

I've got piriton?

I've got piriton?

Perfect, but if you bought it rather than prescription then remember shop's own brand antihistamines are just as good and often cheaper. But if it helps prickly heat then cost is probably irrelevant!
More importantly.... have a lovely holiday. :)

I think sometimes anti histamines won't work because it is often due to the sweat glands not working properly.They become blocked .I think this is the reason saunas and steam can help as they force the sweat glands into action clearing them of build up and bacteria.Also having a good exfoliate after with something like a bit of rough and some anti bac or tea tree wash might help too.

Latest posts

Back