pro advise on expanding salons!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lizzie27

Reaction score
hi again guys,
im just looking for some proffesional info, from anyone with more than one salon!
basically i have a beauty/nail/tanning salon at present, i have 2 employees + me.
i have been open for 2 years in october.
My salon is equipped with one treatment room, for waxing, facials, massage etc....
two manicure desks out front of the shop, and a reception area......
A st. tropez air port booth in a seperate treatment area.
And a pedicure station in the window of my salon...
at present my accountant considors the takings very good,
my accounts are with dermalogica, st. tropez, opi, fake bake and creative.

anyway sorry im not trying to show off! the shop next door to us has become unoccupied, and offered to me as first refusal...

id like to hear from any one with more than one shop or thinking about it!
is it worth it?
can i justify a whole other shop?
what should i think about?
obviously all the head ache.....and employees....is it worth it????????

i earn enough to keep me and my family happy, so should i strive for more or just stay happy as i am?

my sister is a hairdresser and wants a slice of the pie. but not available 100% as she is a single mum! its sooo hard...

shall i expand or not????

thnx chiks xxxx:hug:

Last edited:
Hi lizzie,
you are right this is not an easy decision but there are many factors that come onto play, think about the following...

first and foremost, what ages are your children and are they young and needy,

secondly how many children in the family and what time do you spend with them

thirdly is there a money issue because if there isn't then is it worth all the hassle etc as you mentioned earlier

lastly if your sister is a bit unreliable that is an added strain.

I hope this is helpful hun, goodluck in making the right decision :hug:

Hi lizzie,
you are right this is not an easy decision but there are many factors that come onto play, think about the following...

first and foremost, what ages are your children and are they young and needy,

secondly how many children in the family and what time do you spend with them

thirdly is there a money issue because if there isn't then is it worth all the hassle etc as you mentioned earlier

lastly if your sister is a bit unreliable that is an added strain.

I hope this is helpful hun, goodluck in making the right decision :hug:

hiya,
my children are 8 & 11 yrs old and although i do have guilt issues (refer back to former thread of mine) i dont think i could do many more hours than i do already!
i have no money worries what so ever, but we all want to better ourselves of course! lol
my sis wants more responsibility, and more money! as she pretty much works along with me 24/7...and i pay her a wage...
i dont know this shop next door is soooo cheap! i just dont want to rock the perfect boat!!!!
xxxx

Hi Lizzie

Oh what a (nice) headache to have! At least you're not sitting there waiting for your next client wondering how you're going to pay the rent ....

My advise would be this: look at your client base. Would expansion into the new property require a dramatic expansion of your client base? If you're already turning away business 'cos you're too busy then moving into next door is the right thing to do. If you're just ticking over nicely thank you then moving next door will require you to expand your client base. Do you have/have you got the resources to do this?

That's how I see it. Hope this helps. :)

hmmmm good point.....(im thinking!)
i dont turn clients away i just really squeeze everyone in, theres three of us in a small salon, and we are juggling the work load.....
i cant tell whether the new space will mean we are both full, but it would lighten the load......
spose its set up costs etc to think about, although the landlord said he wants nothing up front as long as he knows he can rent it.
im thinking of offering hair in the new shop as well as beauty, therefor widening the client base.
someone told me that as the recession is coming hair and beauty treatments will be the first to suffer, that worried me slightly too!!!
xxx

Hi Lizzie,

I just wanted to reply regarding the so called recession you mentioned. Don't worry about that. I have a client who works in Advertising and she has told me that Beauty & Hair businesss probably won't suffer as much as you think because consumers feel beauty & hair are a maintenance thing rather than a luxury nowadays. She also told me that after some recent surveying the sales of lipsticks and other cosmetics have gone up not down! I just thought that might be of interest to you. :hug:

At the mo if things are ticking along nicely and you have a family my advice would be to think very carefully at the mo.
Look at your clientelle are they secure people with secure well paid jobs,are they already moaning about their mortgages and their own businesses,wages,cost of living etc.
Im not saying don't go ahead, just take care i dont think at this moment in time risks are worth taking unless you are able to weather the possible repercussions.
People will always have their haircut, probably waxing and nails if they always have had it, but they wont have many of the other beauty treatments when things are tight because they can make do on their own.

all good points, thankyou for your advise, im still in the debating process.....
this bussiness lark is complicated!! lol x

I overheard a conversation the other day that went along the lines of "well, if we can't afford to go on holiday this year I'm damn well going to look as if I've been - I'm having a fake tan on Saturday"

I wonder how commonplace this attitude is; if people can't have new cars/new houses/ holidays etc, they'll get their luxury fix in other ways - like hair and beauty.

What do we think?

Hi Calla

I think you're absolutely right! Even in a recession people like to think that they're special. They like to think that they should spoil themsleves every now and then.

So whilst, perhaps, the high end, high cost, treatments might suffer the lower cost pampering might actually grow! :eek:

Thoughts?

My experience has been just that; big holidays & spa days are being cut back on, but to make them feel better they are having more maintanance treatments & affordable treats (although I would say they aren't treats but essentials!). I've seen quite an upturn in facials & body treatments. I think the day of the independent high street salon has come!

I couldnt agree more, I have the chance of premises and have been holding back because of people cutting back..but I decided a few weeks back to go with it...because people are cutting back on the expensive holidays, extensions, cars.....but their own personal maintenance is staying the same..they have a look and want to keep up that look...so this thread has been invaluable to me too.....

Good luck with what you decide to do....I personally dont think you will loose out....extra space, extra clients=extra income, I know their is extra expenditure but its good to look into the future....I would go for it...a great opportunity

I overheard a conversation the other day that went along the lines of "well, if we can't afford to go on holiday this year I'm damn well going to look as if I've been - I'm having a fake tan on Saturday"

I wonder how commonplace this attitude is; if people can't have new cars/new houses/ holidays etc, they'll get their luxury fix in other ways - like hair and beauty.

What do we think?

lol! brilliant! ive seen it in a new light! xx

I couldnt agree more, I have the chance of premises and have been holding back because of people cutting back..but I decided a few weeks back to go with it...because people are cutting back on the expensive holidays, extensions, cars.....but their own personal maintenance is staying the same..they have a look and want to keep up that look...so this thread has been invaluable to me too.....

Good luck with what you decide to do....I personally dont think you will loose out....extra space, extra clients=extra income, I know their is extra expenditure but its good to look into the future....I would go for it...a great opportunity

thank you. and everyone else for there comments,
everyone has told me to just go for it!
my salon has been open for two years in october , but i still feel so new...
expanding feels very responsible!!!! lol!!!
im going on the net now for furnishings, prices, etc....
i think im gonna do it!!!! ...........................;-) xxx

Latest posts

Back