Problem client: should I cancel and refund?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just a quick update!

She has booked me for the day :)

I would seriously think about ut first. Everybody knows a business is built mainly on word of mouth. If she tells other brides to be they may think twice about horing you. I know i would as i would worry that i would get cancelled on and be left with no mua for my big day! I think maybe do this but dont agree to work with her again?

I would definitely consider this before making a snap decision, but in the same breath if she is already giving you this much trouble this early on you may truly be better off cutting the cord now.

Just a quick update!

Ah, thats great!, you know you always sound at the top of your game, I'd love to see your art on a make up thread. sometimes brides need a static point to stop them running wild and you sound like the pin that pulls it all together whereas some of us my run away.

Sent from my GT-P3110 using SalonGeek

Just a quick update!

Phew! After reading these comments, that was stressful, i probably would of done the same and sucked it up and tried it and see from there. Glad you did, at least you have pleased her and your getting paid and won't have word of mouth bringing your business down, if anything having someone who is abrupt and out there, might be good for business, it is always worrying when you end up worrying over the worse. Glad it has worked out for you.:D

Just a quick up date in this....

I found out age was lying about living at the house with the swimming pool, basically its not hers.

True to form after stressing that all payments should be paid on time at trial in June her wedding deposit was late and now with get final payment due in two weeks she has now told its going to late by a week or more.

I sent her an email outlining the contract terms say it needed to be in by xx date and that as another gesture of good will I would extend the deadline one more week otherwise she may loose her booking as the wedding will then be less than a month away!

She has now emailed me saying she has booked another artist as she 'needs someone who's a little more accommodating' and is cancelling her booking with me and she won't pay by the deadline

I have put up with so much and feel in the 13 years I've been doing wedding I've never been so badly treated by a client and felt that I could so no more for her

Just read this whole thread.

You walked away from the trial with the money for it, I would just let her get on with it! Good luck to the other MUA, sounds like she'll need it!

Well done for getting this far! Try not to let it bother you too much, we all have clients like this. Just have to remember our lovely ones!

... I def think that with all the hassle of the trial it's probably for the best, think we can all just wish the new mua the best of luck as I think she may need it ....
It Means a new make up trial and the actual day to pay for ... !!!! ... When she's got no funds to pay you on time ....
Mmmmm ... Nothing more to say ... Lol
Xxxx

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek app

I just hope she doesn't bad mouth me!

I just hope she doesn't bad mouth me!

Even if she does often people with an attitude like hers are known to be this way. So chances are they'd just think oh god there she goes again. Don't sweat it. Well done for keeping your cool. Xxx

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

What shocks me is she owns her owns business and I don't think she's the type of person that would put up with her clients paying late all the time, so why do it to me?

I feel in some way I'm to blame as I should of never booked her in the first place for the wedding, however I don't deserve to be treated like this and tbh I don't trust her any more as she just lies.

She's Prob Like this with all her suppliers, but my I stood up to her and she didn't like it!

I am relieved that I no longer have to do wedding and don't ever the new MUA one bit!!!!!!!

It sounds as if she was already looking around and had already booked another mua.

Your initial gut feeling was correct, move on and up, remember this for the next tricky client xx

Sounds to me like she's broke and you wouldn't have got paid for the wedding if she had any intentions of letting you do it at all, perhaps she had the trial so she could just see what to do herself, maybe there is no other mua.
I can't believe some of the characters you come across in this line of work, it always brings to mind the ugly Step sisters in a cinderella panto.
If her fiance could see her now :eek:

Last edited:
Its all very strange as she was like this over the trial deposit and then she said it would be her mum paying but she was out of the country 'on holiday for a few weeks so couldn't pay'

And this is the same story she was peddling 2 weeks ago but her mum was now out of the country until early next month and couldn't pay til she got back.

Her mum also makes wild excuses for not paying too and i spend weeks chasing them and get abusive phone calls when I call to chase payment.

I can't understand why she or her partner or another family member can't pay?

I think too she is broke and now that I've stood up to her she's now knee jerked and jumped before I cancelled on her.

I wouldn't worry about it, i very much doubt she'll be saying anything to anyone, being as she is being so sneaky, because you might say how it really is and she wouldn't like that.
Its terrible when you come across someone like that, just think of the panto character and shrugg your shoulders and be done with them

People who are proud and broke don't like anyone to know about it, they put on a false front, silly really

Last edited:
If I was you I would give her money back and kindly explain that you don't want to work with her, don't be rude about it just nice and calmly, she's still got time for her wedding. I do this all the time when I feel like I don't want to treat a client, it definitely won't ruin your reputation... You're self employed and you can choose who to work with and when, you're your own boss. I never take clients like this I'd rather loose rude clients and their business then worry and stress about what they're going to come up with after they're service or treatment.
People like this have self esteem issues, don't let them put you down!
You seem like a lovely and sensitive person, I am sensitive too and I have learnt the hard way!
Business is a dog eat dog world so don't stress!
Good luck
Elaine. Xx

The situation is just so weird!

Even when I found out the big house with pool wasn't hers, she didn't apologise for lying and didn't look at all embarrassed she just carried on with the deception and refused to let know where she lived!

I won't be refunding her, her deposit as its non refundable and I have turned away other clients business on what was her wedding day.

She knew she had to pay me by a certain date since June, and she lied and messed me about from the start.

I doubt she will say much either as she won't want people knowing her and mother are bad payers and broke!

However I'm worried she will go around saying I've cancelled on her near her wedding and ruin my rep 😕

Last edited:
You'll find that people like that already have a reputation themselves and I'm sure you're not the first to come across them .... I wouldn't worry ... xxxxx

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek app

I thinks its terrible, they were trying to make you feel like it was your fault as well.
Proud people have big egos and develop a patern of lying regardless who they hurt in the process

I thinks its terrible, they were trying to make you feel like it was your fault as well.
Proud people have big egos and develop a patern of lying regardless who they hurt in the process

You have hit the nail on the head!

She and her mum are making out this my fault and blaming me for having to cancel!

I have gone above and beyond the call of duty with them regarding payments and they felt they could manipulate me and when I stood up for myself and saw them for what they were they dropped me and moved on to someone else.

Greed..

Latest posts

Back