Problem client: should I cancel and refund?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why is she having a trial 7 months before the wedding????
Sometimes you get a client that is just not worth the stress. So because you don't want her to bad mouth you, ( and why pretend that you are not available? )I would suggest that you use the reason I have fortunately only had to use once for a Bridezilla.
" I have given careful thought to this, and I am sorry but I am just not the right make-up artist for you. I'm sure you will find someone more suitable"
Good Luck

Don't think twice about getting rid of this client asap.

Her behaviour is deplorable, and this is before she's even had a trial done.

And I wouldn't worry about her bad mouthing you, people aren't stupid and probably already know how snobbish and difficult she already is.

It seriously isn't worth it.

If you don't want any confrontation with her post her back the contract with a cheque and have no more to do with her after that

Best of luck whatever you decide xx

I would definitely cancel this lady but it is all about how you handle it that will protect your reputation.

I would just send her a letter (get it checked for spelling etc) something along the lines of...

Dear ....

I am writing to advise you that, unfortunately, I feel I am not able provide my services for your make up trial and wedding.

This is because it seems to have been difficult to obtain the information needed to be able to give my best service, and, I feel we have not been able to build a good relationship that is essential for providing wedding make up.

I am therefore returning your deposit and wish you all the best for your forthcoming wedding.

Yours sincerely

That is all you need to do and it is always best to be short and polite and to the point and above all professional. I would then not have any more contact with her if possible if she tries to reopen discussions.

Don't mention or discuss the situation with anyone else locally. It doesn't matter what she says to others about you if you have acted in this way as you have been perfectly correct in your behaviour.

You can't control what she says to anyone but it sounds like she is the type of person who people will know exactly what she is like anyway.

The best thing about working for yourself is choosing not to deal with people like this.

Dear xyz,

Thank you for your interest in using my services for your forthcoming wedding.

It is with regret that I inform you that i will no longer be able to commit to this event. I would like to take this opportunity to wish you well and please find a full refund enclosed as recieved for your make-up trial.

Kind regards,
xyz

thank you everyone for your replies and advice :)

This such a difficult one, I have sacked clients before however none of them have lived down the road from me!

What you have all said is right, yes I should sack her and yes both her and her mum are bang out of order.

However one of the pitfalls of being self employed is that if you don't work, you don't get paid and even though I am really busy with other clients I can not afford to loose £120 (total cost of the trial for both of them).

I will be very professional and give the best makeover of their life lol on tuesday,but I will be taking no more sh+t from them.

Any more mumzillia or bridezille from them and I will drop them like a hot potato. I will reinforce on the day of trial that this a trial for BOTH of us and a wedding day booking is NOT a given if we are not compatible.

I would seriously think about ut first. Everybody knows a business is built mainly on word of mouth. If she tells other brides to be they may think twice about horing you. I know i would as i would worry that i would get cancelled on and be left with no mua for my big day! I think maybe do this but dont agree to work with her again?

I'd have her tell every one she possibly can then in that case!!! You don't want potential brides thinking your 'horing' yourself out, let alone cancelling on them last minute ! Lol :biggrin::biggrin:

I think that a lot of people are very stressed on the run up to the wedding so if I was you I would maybe try my best to ignore it. She probably dosnt realise she is doing it. However I would stand a bit firmer and just let her know that you arnt happy with how rude she is.and if it continues you will be forced to as her to find someone else. I wouldn't just give her the deposit back and that's that I think you should at least give her a warning first

I have been doing weddings for 13 years and understand its a stressful time, however rude and belittling behaviour towards suppliers who are trying to make THEIR day special is unacceptable and there is no excuse for it.

Yes, she will be getting a warning tomorrow as her still hasn't sent me makeup ideas.

Last edited:
Let us know how u get on xx

Dear xyz,

Thank you for your interest in using my services for your forthcoming wedding.

It is with regret that I inform you that i will no longer be able to commit to this event. I would like to take this opportunity to wish you well and please find a full refund enclosed as recieved for your make-up trial.

Kind regards,
xyz

Perfect. x

Yep, and if she comes back and asks why, tell her its unavoidable personal reasons, very sorry!

How did the trial go? Looking forward to this update :D

trial isn't until Tuesday, but will keep you posted ...............

trial isn't until Tuesday, but will keep you posted ...............

Woops, totally thought when I read this yesterday you had used the word tomorrow somewhere - ignore me :D

I would so cancel! No way would I put up with that bs!

If she is trying to make you look small before the trial, I personally don't think she will give you good reviews after. So I think she will be bad for your business, therefore I think I would get rid of her lol xxxx

Just a quick up date!

Did the trial and she was a bit funny to start of with, but found out she had had other trials in the past and they been utter disasters and left really unhappy.

She mellowed and we all had good time laughing and joking...

Both her and her mum said they really liked the makeup I did and were very happy with the results.

Just waiting now to see if she wants to book.....

Just a quick up date!

Did the trial and she was a bit funny to start of with, but found out she had had other trials in the past and they been utter disasters and left really unhappy.

She mellowed and we all had good time laughing and joking...

Both her and her mum said they really liked the makeup I did and were very happy with the results.

Just waiting now to see if she wants to book.....
That's brilliant! It is lovely when you can win over a tricky client, would be wary though given the start you had with her x

Oh well done! Im so glad this went well for you! I was reading this and it reminded me of my only bridezilla in 8 years. She was a family friends daughter and oh my goodness she was awful, never had anyone like that but its so difficult when they live close by and everyone you know knows them too.

Deep breathes, only the wedding to go now!

xx:D

Latest posts

Back