Problem with client -overexposure?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Unique Nails09

Reaction score
Hello all,

I've recently had a few worries about a clients nails. She has recently come to me from a salon I previously worked at as she was unhappy about the attitude of my former colleague. She has been having her nails done for over 2 years now and in that time I have known her to been a picker who tends to pull off the nails at the slightest instance of lifting and looks to have a good nibble and chew at the skin around the cuticles which are often sore, red and dry and she often complained of discomfort during preparation and application. She wasn't my client but I would do her now and again of my colleague was busy/away

I did a full set of sculptured on her about 6 weeks ago on one of those roasting days we had. During the application she talked of several of the nails burning and general discomfort. The product was drying faster than the speed of light so I had to work slightly wetter than normal, but was aware to not let any product touch the skin where possible.

Since that day she has been in every two weeks for infills (growing out whites to overlays) and has mentioned that after every treatment the skin around her fingers was very itchy. I am using the same products as I did in the previous salon (NSI attraction) bar the liquid which I now use NSI Spa aroma free. I have had no other probs with customers with this product.

She has stated that she is using a strong alcohol hand gel to combat swine flu (?!!!) and I am unsure whether or not this could be causing the irritation when combined with the dust or any rogue liquid getting onto the skin (unlikely, I am very cautious)

I have explained to her the danger of overexposure being that she has had her nails done for a long time and advised the usual steps for her to take (see doctor, apply cuticle oil, dont nibble/mess).

She is still happy with my services and wants to carry on as she says she can cope with the itchyness, but I am concerned that this problem may worsen over time,

Any ideas?

It sounds like overexposure to me.......... I practised sooooo much on myself whilst I was training that I ended up with a similar situation as I wasn't initially being as careful as I thought I was with the product and skin contamination.
I used to (and still do sometimes :-~) get terrible itching under the free edge, and then tiny tiny little what looked like blisters which would eventually just turn into thick hard skin which I had to resist the urge to pick at!? Only normally on a couple of fingers, but oh what a pain in the @r*e!
I still wear enhancements, but have to go for around 6 weeks between doing my infills as my skin just can't bear it too regularly any more..............
Thankfully, it doesn't affect me when servicing a client - phew!
We all live and learn I guess ;-)

was she experiencing thid before you started doing her nails with the spa liquid? the odorless liquid does cure with an inhibition layer, are you removing it before filing? if not this can certainly be the cause of iritation from the uncured filing dust.
Posted via Mobile Device

Your client has all the classic signs of overexposure and I seriously doubt that it is her hand sanitiser that is causing it.

I would go back to using your old liquid IMMEDIATELY for this client and not the 'odour free'.

Odour free L&P products are along with gels are the products most likely to cause overexposure/allergy due to the unreacted layer they leave behind on curing.

Your client's reaction to the product will only get worse at every exposure from now on if you keep using the same liquid on her.

No matter how careful you are to avoid the soft tissue surrounding the nail plate, that unreacted layer (in the form of dust) will repeatedly touch the client's skin (and yours unless you wear gloves while using it).

If your hands feel at all 'hot' or itchy stop using the monomer immediately.

Thanks all, I did think it was the aroma free that was causing the irritation so i will order some attraction and use that on her next time
x

Latest posts

Back