Problem with Gel nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VJK

Reaction score
I've only being a nail tech for 6 months, I was trainied to use fibreglass acrylic & Gel. Currenlty most of my full sets are done using the fibreglass system, but I'd prefer to use Gel, I'm really not confident with my gel nails, I dont know if its somthing I'm doing or my clients, but they lift so easily.

I use a product called IBD, I prep the nail plate properly & use primer, I know I'm not over shooting the cuticles & I set them under the lamp for 2-3 minutes, then once they are complete I wipe them over with the IBD cleanser.

What am I doing so wrong???? Is it me? the prouct? or the client?

Once I have perfected them I'm going to pay for bio-sculpture training, but there's no point paying all that money till I can get them right!!!! :|

Is this happening with all your gel clients? If so, I think (and I may be wrong) its probably something that you are doing. Are you are sure prep is ok? Are the nails being cured properly? Maybe your using too much primer? Not too sure as I am still new too gel myself. hth

hi ya....

if your getting lifting i can think of only 2 things PREP as andrelax said....or you COULD be using too much b0nder maybe?

It says the bonder should be 'grainy' so i always blot it a bit to make sure.

Ive not used ibd for long....but i like its strength. Only had a teeny bit of lifting on one nail.

amb x

Hi there

Have you changed the globes lately in the lamp? How old is it? Did you purchase new or used? The decrease in UV output overtime will affect the cure of the gel - quality of finished product.

Although in all honesty,I would advise you go for the training.
Taking your kit and using it supervised will troubleshoot any issues.
The time wasted - client prob nails etc can all be resolved & your mind put to rest.

HtH
XX J XX

jnail - thanks for the advice my nail lamp is no more than 6 months old it is new & haedley used .x.x.x.

Minkus - I dont think I use bonder (unless I know it by a different name), maybe thats where the problem lies, please could you explain a bit & is it an IBD product - now I feel stupid!!! :o

VJK said:
jnail - thanks for the advice my nail lamp is no more than 6 months old it is new & haedley used .x.x.x.

Minkus - I dont think I use bonder (unless I know it by a different name), maybe thats where the problem lies, please could you explain a bit & is it an IBD product - now I feel stupid!!! :o

i got it in the professional kit.....its just called IBD BONDER it also says PRIME in pink letters on the pot? is that what your using?

amb x

Hi Sweetie! I have been doing gel for just under a year, and i've tested three gel brands (lightbox, essential nails, palms), and i found that lifting occured using only one of those products (palms).
i'm not familiar with your brand, but it sounds like you're following the instructions you were given, so maybe test another gel.(i recommend the lightbox & essential nails!)
Good luck!

I use IBD and i've had my fair share of problems with it lifting wise.

After trying every different way possible i started using a primer that i had lying around and so far my nails have been on 3 weeks and not a sign of lifting.

I've tried using bonder, no bonder, IBD primer, but the one that seem to be working for me at the moment is Star nails primer.

I know your not suppose to mix brands, but at the mo this is the only way i can get the gel to stay put so i'm stick ing (pardon the pun:biggrin: ) with it.

Hi Victoria, I use IBD gel too, & I had a little trouble with lifting to start with. If you look in the manual it says after curing the bonder, do not cleanse, is that what youve been doing? if thats the case that may be why youve had lifting! HTH Carrie XX

You guy’s are great I’m so glad I stumbled across this web site, think I’m officially hooked, it’s taught me so much, just by reading other peoples threads, As I've stepped straight out of college & into a salon on a self employed basis with no help (all the other staff are hairdressers), I'm finding it hard but I'm very dertemined to make it work, oh & Thursday is my 1st offical booked up day & nearly all are return clients - so that has to be a good sign.

Anyway................................

...............................I haven’t been using the IBD bonder / prime, I've been using a primer by the edge which is just a cheap one I got in my college kit, maybe thats my mistake I just assumed all primers were the same. I’m going out to buy some IBD Bonder tomorrow & will give it a whirl, thank you so much, will let you know how I get on.

Also I don’t cleanse after curing I wait until I finish the set then cleanse, I did make that mistake on my first set, then also read that you’re not supposed to.

Thank you so much for all your help, I really do appreciate it.:cool:

;) hey everyone.... love this site....I was just reading everyone's responses to gel nails and I use the star nails products and I seem to have lifting on the sides, just above the cuticle and I'm really not sure why... my UV is only 3 months old, but bought brand new....also it doesn't happen to every finger..... can anyone give any hints.....much appreciated......thanks

cuddles said:
;) hey everyone.... love this site....I was just reading everyone's responses to gel nails and I use the star nails products and I seem to have lifting on the sides, just above the cuticle and I'm really not sure why... my UV is only 3 months old, but bought brand new....also it doesn't happen to every finger..... can anyone give any hints.....much appreciated......thanks

i know when i started i though NOPE it cant be my prep.....no matter how throrough you are.....in the beginning its most likely to be your prep.

Havent used star so cant help further im afraid.

amb x

VJK, Again all of the above is what I was taught, if after that you are still having probs, before you spend more money on another system, go back to your trainer or manufacturer and tell them whats happening. If you have spent good money on a system for example £100 for training and £150 for a kit, you musnt throw good money away, go back to the company, in fact most companies will say during training if you have any probs come back and tell us, Each company will have its own way of application of its products and even though two systems may seem the same, the chemical content and way it is applied may just be slightly different from another system, give Sam Watkinson or any of her trainers at Graftons HQ a call, Sam really knows her stuff and will put you in the right direction.

Harry

cuddles said:

Sounds to me hun like the gel has touched the skin...but I could be wrong!

Victoria: I am only in Oldham (is it Sale in Manchester you live?), PM me if you need anything or want a chat - I use NSI products - Gel & L&P!

I appreciate the rsponses from my lifting issue.....never thought it could be the gel touching the skin...how does everyone get those cute pictures beside their names....you could get lost on this site trying to find where you were last,lol.....:cool:

You will get used to it hun!

You go into edit profile and then into avatar and you can upload pictures!

thanks fingertips, I've been on other sites and never received any responses....this is a chnage, you don't feel so much on your own when people make you feel welcome....this is great.....

your welcome hun!

if you need anythin else just drop me a PM - (private message) LOL

Taking all your advice into consideration, I have done a full set of gel on my own nails, no sign of lifting yet, but then hey I have only had them on a day!!
Hopefully all being well I'll gain my confidenced back & do a set on a client.
Will let you all know how I get on with them .x.x.x.x.

PS. ITS MY BIRTHDAY ON SATURDAY (CRIMBO EVE) I'VE SO EXCITED :lol:

Latest posts

Back