Problems at work

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

manda_kinz

Reaction score
Sorry in advanced if this is long but I need some advice.

I started work 3 months ago as a part time therapist (27 hrs a week).
In the job interview I said I wanted to be honest and that I wasn't available weekends as I have a child and I will need to know my working days in advance so I can arrange childcare if they were to employ me.
They offered me the job and said I could work tues/wed/fri so I agreed and started.
They then changed my days to mon/tue/wed after a month which I was fine with but said it would have been nice to have more than a days notice due to childcare. They then said I had to do 1 Sunday a month, so I agreed but said can I know in advance what Sunday it will be due to childcare, they said the first Sunday of every month. Now every Sunday they are begging me to work as no one else will work the Sunday and they have to keep closing. I said I can't work every Sunday as at the moment on a Sunday I pay more out in childcare than I earn. So since then they have been very rude with me, I can tell they are speaking in there language about me to the other therapist and it's making me feel bullied as I work hard and always receive good feedback from the clients I treat and feel I shouldn't be treated unfairly when I was honest about weekend work in the beginning.

Before starting they said the salon had a few bad reviews and they would like me to call any clients who haven't returned to ask why and to persuade them to come in again, I have been doing this whenever free between clients and so far a lot of people are very unhappy with hair treatments they have had. I've passed this feed back on to them and they have agreed the hair dresser isn't very good but she's a nice girl and a family friend therefore they won't fire her. Yesterday they got very angry with me when I rang them and said 3 clients have been ringing all day demanding refunds on hair colour treatments & cuts they had on the weekend, I said due to the bad reviews we already have maybe it would be a good idea to offer them a refund or to correct it. Well the owner went mental and basically said I had no right accusing the hair dresser of doing a bad job as she's a great hair dresser. So I said I'm not complaining about her as I know nothing about hair I'm just saying that 3 clients have been calling all day to complain and they won't accept our 'no refunds' policy.
So the owner then said take tomorrow off work and come back on Monday, so I said ok, feeling a little deflated as I need the money and taking a day off isn't great when I've booked my regular clients in. He then went on to say when you come in on Monday we need to discuss your working days as working weekdays don't match our needs and then hung up.

I now feel like I'd rather find a new job I'm in a area where there are lots of jobs for therapists around so I think I'd find one easy enough or I could go mobile or rent a space etc, the thing worrying me is I haven't been given a contract (even though I've repeatedly asked) also they've not give me payslips for the last 2 months even though I've asked. So I'm worried that if I leave or if they fire me cause I refuse to work weekends then they won't pay me my wages owed for the time I've worked this month.

So basically without a contract what rights do I have?

Also they have showed me how to do IPL hair removal on my first day of work, they spent 15 mins explaining how to do it, let me have 1 turn on her arm and said go home watch youtube videos it's easy to do. I went and researched the treatment loads and I do clients daily from full body to small areas. However I felt like I wasn't actually qualified, as I've had no formal training, no certificate etc so I asked her and she said cause she is a level 4 qualified beautician she is qualified to teach me, therefore I'm covered by the insurance to be performing IPL, does anyone know if this is true? If not I want to tell them that I won't be doing anymore IPL without proper training as I'm professional and always put client safety first. All the treatments I've done so far have been okay but I have this worry In the back of my mind I'm not supposed to be doing it as I'm not legally qualified.

All in all I don't wanna lose my job without having another once secured as I have rent bills etc to pay, I know the best advice is probably to quit and get a new job but I would be grateful for any advice given.

Think I also just needed a rant as its played on my mind all night! So thanks for reading if you got this far! [emoji6]

Goodness me!
First off, bless you, sounds like your having a horrible time!
When are you due to be paid, you can contact citizens advise for support re your rights given no contract has been signed. I am on the understanding you need to give a week within your first 6 months of employment but I am not 100% given the lack of contract.
I do hope you get it sorted soon x

As far as I know you need to have product training in IPL before you can be insured x

Thank you! It's my first time working in a salon and being employed so I was unsure, originally I asked for a contract and have just been given excuses like they've forgot to bring it etc, but no one has one there so that's probably why. Citizens advice is not something I'd thought of so thank you. X

And yeah regarding IPL maybe I should ring the provider (ecolite) and ask what training is recommended etc as I really don't feel comfortable performing a treatment I'm not legally trained in x

Are you on an hourly rate? Or are you classed as 'self employed'?

I'm on a hourly rate

Will they pay you even tho sent you home

As previously advised, Citizens Advice will be able to give you advice on support in getting you pay sorted. In the meantime, definitely look for another job or consider self employment.

Even though you don't have a written contract, you still have a verbal contract.
How often are you paid? Weekly/monthly? Legally, they should still pay you for Monday as they are the ones who have asked you not to come in. I would also be concerned about whether they have paid the correct NI and tax on my wages if I hadn't received a pay slip, which by law, they are obliged to provide.

Thanks for the advice :)

Well the boss rang me, there's 2 and it was the husband that rang me, he's who I find very rude. He demanded I work fri-sun from now on, I said you know I can't do that, therefore I will hand in my notice, he started shouting and being so rude saying they paid for me to do CACI training, and I explained that in the beginning I had always told them I wasn't available for weekends. Then I felt like I 100% didn't feel comfortable returning there as he generally made me feel quite intimated. So I told them I quit and that if they didn't pay me my wages I would take legal action.

They've paid me thankfully! But again no payslip, should I contact HMRC about that? I have sent a email to the employer asking for one but don't think they are gunna send one however I'm worried they haven't paid the correct NI and tax.

Latest posts

Back