Problems with Great Lengths extensions

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dudeymel

Reaction score
I had a full head of Great Lengths extensions fitted a few months ago on the recomendation of 3 friends who all had AMAZING great lengths hair which lasted months. Sooo I saved up nearly £600 and went and got them fitted by the same person who fitted my friends hair and they were AMAZING when first fitted, really silky and the technician who fitted them was brilliant and they didn't dig in or hurt or anything so I left a very happy customer. That was until the 1st time I washed them, they frizzed up and went very very dry. I used all the great lengths products including the anti tap and I even went back to the technician to check I was blow drying them right and she confirmed I was. I couldn't wear my hair down because the contrast between my smooth hair and the dry frizzy extensions was ridiculous but because I had spent so much money on them I persevered and kept them in (only wearing my hair up in a bun though) until one day, about a month after fitting when I just thought, enough is enough. I went back to the technician and got them removed. I told her the problems I was having and that no matter what I did, I couldn't get the hair nice. She advised me that it's human hair and it can't be guaranteed what it was like before the processing. So after hitting a brick wall I walked away with my 1 month old £600 hair in a bag and put it down to a bad and costly experience. Just recently I trained as a nail technician and learnt that clients can make claims upto 3yrs after damage and the extensions sprung to mind. It hadn't even crossed my mind to claim before because I was relying soley off my technicains advice. So I rang up great lengths all ready to tell them my plight, thinking they would understand and look into it further for me and all I was told was that Great Lengths is the best and they had no other complaints about that batch and why hadn't I asked my technician to send the hair off for testing when it was taken out and I told them that I didn't know I had the option but I would be happy to do it now and they said no, it was too late for me. I then rang back my technician and relayed this and she said 'well if you'd asked me at the time to send them off then I would have'. I am soooooooo disappointed because my friends with the same brand hair have lovely hair and now I am really cynical about trying again but the sad thing is I would have tried great lengths again because I know that it could have just been a bad bunch, but because of the bad customer service and knowing that if anything went wrong with the new hair I wouldn't get any help, I wouldn't touch them again with a barge pole!

That doesn't usually happen with great lengths the quality is amazing. We're they blonde or dark? It shouldn'tt matter either way but blondes do go through a harsher process. If you are debating wether the hair is great lengths send it off to them to be checked xx

Your hair extensionist should have sent the hair back to great lengths for it to be looked at xx

my hair was very dark brown at the time with red highlights, one of my friends who also had great lengths also had brown hair but the other 2 have blonde hair and theirs were brilliant. I offered to send my hair back but they weren't interested, they said it should have been sent off after removal and because I'd had the hair with me for atelast 2 months that anything could have happened to it in the mean time!?? Even though I complained to the technician when they were still attached to my head.x

thanks Mollie, I just wish she would have offered me the chance at the time, I've got a feeling they would have just said the same thing though, that they'd checked the rest of the batch and there was no complaints. x

Hi sorry to hear of your problems...I have used Great Lengths for years and have never had a problem with hair quality, I have never ever had to return hair. I have refitted hair over and over and the condition has still been excellent.
Had I fitted your extensions I would have sent them back.
Are you sure they were Great Lengths?
How many did you have fitted, and what length were they? X

I only have my technicians word that they were great lengths but she is recomeded on their website. They were 16" and I think I had 175 peices all together because I had quite short layers so I needed quite a few. I think Im best off speaking to trading standards but I don't know how far i'll get x

Hi Did you go for a colour match before fitting? Did you notice the packaging that the hair come in and what was it like? x

Same as nightowl,ive been using great lengths hair for many many years and have never had a problem with the hair.
Its the best hair full stop.

Ive rebonded hair 3 or 4 times and the condition has been the same as when they first went in.
Sounds very strange to me.Your technician should ring them and try and sort it out.
Did she comment on the hair condition when you went back?

Does she use only great lengths or other brands aswell?
x

I did get a colour match about a week before hand and the hair was a really gud match to my own although she ordered my red peices before she did my red highlights so when I went for the fitting she did the red highlights just before so they weren't an exact match but I didnt see any packaging because she already had the hair out and lying in what looked liked bond holder (bad description i know but it had loads of little sections to hold all the bits of hair). She has spoke to Great Lengths for me and then just gave the same response, that ive left it too late but I have contacted Trading standards who have advised me on how to take it further x

I had Great Lengths hair extensions put in three weeks ago I got long blond hair three packs put in and the hair was so dry and bitty at the ends that it looked like the cheapest hair extensions you can get, I called the salon who were very nice and they said come in we'll do a treatment on the hair, that day I was told that I need another pack to fill out the hair bringing the total strands to 100 which is four packs. At this point I had contacted Great Lengths and they offered me the forth pack for free, I said how will an extra pack of hair make the bad hair I have in better they said very matter of fact to me well that's our advice take it or leave it. I bought Moroccon hair oil for €40 euro and purchased a great lengths brush that should have been free with the extensions I was charged €40 for this on top of €40 for the oil, I must admit it made the hair a lot easier to brush however, once I blow dried it you could the ends were all tatty like extensions you could see each extension from root to tip. I was told to go back to the salon for four weeks and get a treatment every week that this would settle the hair and make it smooth, the treatments were supposed to be free the first one was however, yesterday I went in for my second treatment and was charged €20 for it I couldn't believe it and didn't even say anything just paid the €20 and even tipped the hair dresser, I am disgusted with my experience of Great Lengths so far, so disappointed that everybody else seemed to get good hair and mine was the worst ever, can't understand how the hairdresser didn't notice how bad the hair was until she had put 75 strands of it into my hair oh and what will make this better add another 25 in it just doesn't make sense. Anyway just wanted to share my story with you I'll keep you posted of my outcome.

If you didn't return the hair and the technician who fitted them didn't have packaging etc how did they know there was no other complaints from that batch?

Your stylist should have sent a sample of your hair off to great lengths for testing. Great lengths salons don't have to include a brush for free this is different from salon to salon. Are you using a professional shampoo? Redken, Loreal, great lengths. I would only use these 3. If not this could be your issue with the dry hair. As for the incorrect number of bonds. That is terrible and probably due to the stylist being inexperienced.

I am only using The Great Lengths shampoo and conditioner paid €40 for the two of them also and will need more soon, Great Lengths have said to me on the phone that the hair sounds like it is faulty a bad batch it was unfortunate for me. Great Lengths have agreed to replace the hair if I want it or the salon will give me a full refund if I get the extensions out. The problem is I had a set of extensions in for 6 months got them out in end of December and had very little hair they really damaged my hair so I waited four months and said Ill get great Lengths and at least they won't damage my hair. I am really afraid to get these out in case I lose more of my own hair I can't afford to lose anymore. As for the stylist being inexperienced she is not I won't say anymore as I wouldn't like to damage her reputation but no she is very experienced. What would you do if you were me would you get them out and replace is it possible that I will lose loads of my own hair.

When any salon/technician places an order they always take the clients name, did they ask you this when you rang to complain? Although I generally love Great Lengths I have unfortunately had issues with some of their hair in the past that has needed replacing, I wouldn't accept that there is nothing they can do and neither should your technician, why didn't she advise at the time that hair could be sent back for them to look at?! Contact them publicly on their social media as they are very keen on this as a company so hopefully you will have your voice heard as it should be! Good luck xx

Thanks for your message, I am glad to hear that I am not the only one that has had bad hair extensions from Great Lengths, I have recently spoken to some other unfortunate victims. I was advised by two other salons that do great lengths that the hair I have in is over processed and was even put in wrong. Great Lengths have told me to go back to the salon and that my contract is with the salon not them, I've been told by consumer rights bureau that this is the case it's the salon that needs to help me. I thought that the salon were happy to give me a refund however, having called several times and been told that somebody will get back to me, nobody ever does. Unfortunately the girl that applied my hair has had a death in the family and I have tried to be respectful towards her at this time. As it stand I have these in 6 weeks now and the hair is like straw no other way to describe it straw hanging from my head. Having spoken to one of the girls in the salon today I said look if a refund is not on the cards I will just go with new hair as Great Lengths said they would send new hair to the salon for me, however the lady I spoke to in the salon said to me this evening that I won't say her name just but that the girl who applied these extensions was no longer willing to do my hair she said she would not put new ones in for me. I am at a loss I have sent her a message this evening after she ignored my last one and have been ignored. Great Lengths don't care so much for their big name and their extensions supposed to be the greatest ones on market, my experience has been total opposite and their customer care team don't care they wouldn't even send the hair to another salon so that I could have it applied, they said no you have to go back to the original salon, even though I have lost all faith in the place I am totally at their mercy. Picture to follow and I will have to name and shame if I don't get a refund as I don't want anybody else to experience what I have.

Hey, I have been having great lengths extensions for about 6 years now and the hair quality does vary! I managed to make my last batch last for nearly 7 months! But the ones I have had applied recently are awful! I can literally wash my hair and the ends are dry by the time I take the towel off my head to style them. I use to work at the salon I get them done and if the salon you had them fitted isn't willing to help I suggest you contact great lengths yourself as they are always more than helpful. I have sent a couple bonds back and they have sent me an intensive treatment to use on them. If I'm stil not happy with the condition they will replace the hair for me.

Hey, I have been having great lengths extensions for about 6 years now and the hair quality does vary! I managed to make my last batch last for nearly 7 months! But the ones I have had applied recently are awful! I can literally wash my hair and the ends are dry by the time I take the towel off my head to style them. I use to work at the salon I get them done and if the salon you had them fitted isn't willing to help I suggest you contact great lengths yourself as they are always more than helpful. I have sent a couple bonds back and they have sent me an intensive treatment to use on them. If I'm stil not happy with the condition they will replace the hair for me.

Very interesting was thinking of getting great lenghts and they are expensive so nervous of spending that amount of money to not be happy, could get a holiday instead! Can imagine how you feel so really hope you get the situation resolved xxx

It's surprising to hear all this horror stories, I use wonderful hair and my clients love the hair quality I have had no issues with hair quality. They offer a cold fusion application and they also have salons around the UK that will offer you there hair and application,

Latest posts

Back