Problems with Salon Gold insurance for eyelash extension cover

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stacy

Reaction score
Hi all, I've been offering semi permanent eyelash extensions for about 2 years, originally training with Ilash Expert (ABX group) then in June of this year I completed a Nouveau lashes master course.

I've spent a lot of money on products from both companies and have never mixed brands when offering my treatments, apart from using different branded lashes. I notice that some geeks do mix products such as one brand of lash glue and another brand of remover but I haven't tried this myself as I'm not sure of the insurance implications or possible reactions, if any.

Anyway, I've read a lot of good things about flirties glue and after trying a sample I would like to offer this glue instead of the other ones i've bought. I'm insured through Salon Gold so phoned them today and they said that I have to attend a course covering flirties or I won't be insured. I explained that I would buy the whole flirties kit so wouldn't be mixing brands but they still won't insure me without attending the course for that brand. I told them attending another course would be pointless and it would probably be cheaper if I changed my insurer and they agreed. I then phoned the helpful folks at Beauty Guild insurance and they said they couldn't see any problems and I would definately be insured with them, they said it would be too restricting for me to not be able to change brands, whether it be eyelash extensions or other treatments such as spray tanning.

I'm now wondering what to do so would like to know:

1) Have any other geeks had this problem with Salon Gold and had to change insurers?

2) Is it actually ok to mix ee products and if so does this include any product including primer, glue, mascara and sealer? If not, what if a client has been to another therapist and then asks me to remove their lashes, am I insured to remove them as I may be using a different product or should I refuse?

Sorry for the long post but any help would be really appreciated, thank you.

Hi Stacy, I've had this in the past with Salon Gold. I wanted to change glue from the one i trained with and conntacted them to check it was ok. They then said I could only use the glue i trained with, which i was very surprised at. So I questioned them and explained to them that the application technique and all health and safety issues were exactly the same it was just a different brand and that it was really common for lash techs to move onto a faster setting glue. They looked into it and agreed with me and allowed me to use a different glue, so definitely worth persevering with it and make sure you do it by email so you have it in writing as well.
Hope you can get it sorted out xx

oh and it is totally fine to mix products, some people prefer to use the same brand of glue as remover or primer etc, but in my experience this is not essential xxx

Iv never even questioned this, guess I will be making my phone call and email to them tomorrow!!!!!!

I really do think it depends on who you get on the other end of the phone. You can never be told a straight answer without them wandering off to ask someone else. I always ask them by email at least that way if they do agree you have it in writing!
Try and email them explaining what you are trying to tell them.

I'm with Salon Gold and I just assumed that as long as I am trained in EE which I am, then I can choose what ever brand I like! It would cost a fortune to retrain every time we change brands!!! x

Thanks everyone for your replies.

I was really surprised that they wouldn't insure me so went through the story about 3 times with the lady on the phone and was eventually told she would look into it for me and ring me back, when she phoned back the answer was still no. I will definately contact them again tomorrow by email as I'm not even half way through the policy year and dont want to have to pay for more insurance if its not needed.

Being able to mix ee brands is going to save me some money too, its just something I presumed you couldn't do so I've learnt my lesson there and won't presume in future.

Hi

I phoned Salon Gold this morning as I trained with Marvel Lash and now use Flirties Glue. They said as long as my trainer didn't say I could only use their glue then it's fine for me to use other brands and have made a note of the glue I am now using. I phoned Salon System up to check with them, and they say it's absolutely fine for me to use other brands of glue on my certificate.

xx

Iv never even questioned this, guess I will be making my phone call and email to them tomorrow!!!!!!

Ditto!

I'm with salon gold and never even gave it a thought!

I've had an issue with them already this year so will be paying slightly more to go with the guild next year I think!

Ditto!

I've had an issue with them already this year so will be paying slightly more to go with the guild next year I think!

Hi

I phoned Salon Gold this morning as I trained with Marvel Lash and now use Flirties Glue. They said as long as my trainer didn't say I could only use their glue then it's fine for me to use other brands and have made a note of the glue I am now using. I phoned Salon System up to check with them, and they say it's absolutely fine for me to use other brands of glue on my certificate.

xx

I sent my email to Salon Gold on Thursday evening and waited for a reply all day but didn't hear from them so I will have to wait until next week to get confirmation. I would have thought they'd have contacted me at some point yesterday or is that just me being inpatient.

When choosing insurance you hope for the best and don't really know how good they will be until you need them, whether it be for a claim or a simple question. Its not very reassuring when different therapists get different answers to the same question and I have no doubt that I will be going with the Beauty Guild insurance in future.

Just wanted to give an update on the position with Salon Gold insurance.

I received an email this morning apologising for the poor service and confirmation that providing I hold a UK recognised qualification (accredited by a UK body) in any treatments undertaken, the manufacturer of the product I use is irrelevant as long as I take 'reasonable care'.

Glad this has cleared up my confusion and hope it helps others.

Just wanted to give an update on the position with Salon Gold insurance.

I received an email this morning apologising for the poor service and confirmation that providing I hold a UK recognised qualification (accredited by a UK body) in any treatments undertaken, the manufacturer of the product I use is irrelevant as long as I take 'reasonable care'.

Glad this has cleared up my confusion and hope it helps others.

Glad you managed to sort it x

Ditto!

Ditto never questioned it and I trained with nouveau but have changed to flirties.

Hi Stacy, I've had this in the past with Salon Gold. I wanted to change glue from the one i trained with and conntacted them to check it was ok. They then said I could only use the glue i trained with, which i was very surprised at. So I questioned them and explained to them that the application technique and all health and safety issues were exactly the same it was just a different brand and that it was really common for lash techs to move onto a faster setting glue. They looked into it and agreed with me and allowed me to use a different glue, so definitely worth persevering with it and make sure you do it by email so you have it in writing as well.
Hope you can get it sorted out xx

Hi Jen. Just wondered what glue you use thats faster setting? I read a post of yours before you said you qualified with glam lash but i would love to use a faster glue as i dont think it dries quick enough sometimes x

Latest posts

Back