professional tips for hairdressers

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
really? i have lifted hair coloured with semis using 10/1 10/0 or 10/8 or 10/16, i think 10 is the miracle shade hahaha, seriously i have become a tenner like, everything i do involves 10 in some form ahahahaha, x

Hiya scottydolly , I suppose really it would depend on how much semi/ quasi colour build up they have on the hair , ( hence the test pieces ,)

by semi I don't mean the ordinary few wash semis like colour fresh ,
I mean the longer lasting quasi/semi/ demi , ones , that can last up to 15 shampoos or more , eg the tone on tone colours where some of the darker tones can be just as hard to shift as darker tint ,
hope this made more sense lol x :hug: minky

aye thats the ones i meant, like colour touch in the 4%, it good for u know adding those subtle sunkissed looks to those wanting a change but not to go way out highlights cos in 9% it dont lift a great deal, but if u crack in 12 u get a fairly noticable difference, obviously using the ashier varieties unless the client specifically wants golden highlights, the lift also turns out cool because it works with the tone of the semi so because it only lifts so much, it blends, kinda like when u do a semi with foils of one shade lighter on virgin hair, if u get my drift, i am bad at expressing things in words i think hahaha xx

this may seem obvious ,but be carefull to leave about 2mm away from root and dont blob when using hi-lift tint in foils because they expand and can leak - does anybody else notice that its worse and the foils get hot when clients have used pantene or fructis?

this may seem obvious ,but be carefull to leave about 2mm away from root and dont blob when using hi-lift tint in foils because they expand and can leak - does anybody else notice that its worse and the foils get hot when clients have used pantene or fructis?

Yes its probably melting the wax build up , its awful stuff,
Pantene or fructis are very bad swear words to a hairdresser lol x
they cause all sorts of problems , I also find that the colour can takes ages to penetrate or lift when this has been used it is a nightmare for hairdressers
I really didn't like tresseme shampoo either ,:hug: x minky

hahahaha tresseme shud be banned, lets start a petition, i did highlift flashes the other day after performing a colour reduction, i did do an incompatibility test before hand cos it was for a level 3 colour correction assessment and it was negative so proceeded, but the foils over flowed and got really warm on one side of the head but not on the other, i totally panicked haha, i dunno if it because i put on more tint in the foil than needed in that few sides or what happened, who knows, her hair was in fine condition after so i dont know, but yeah defo it does swell, ALOT haha, never knew bout the fructis or pantene reaction tho, i will investigate further in future tho,. . thanks for the tip, x

Yep the whole fructis pantenne etc thing! awful !the foils have heated up and swollen on a client before grOSE!!pointed her in the direction of professional stuff been fine ever since!!!

I rememeber years ago when training with Wella that 10/0 is the ONLY shade on their chart which was possible to lift tinted hair (the degree of which it works obviously depends on what was on the hair originally!), plus it also helps if you run out of a colour. eg if you run out of 6/0 koleston perfect mix 5/0 with x amount of 10/0, supposidly it's less complicated because of the way the colour is made up.

yay billabus, that is what i was taught too, haha, 10 seems to be a shade that keeps popping up alot in my training, it my fave, it was a ratio thing if u run outa 6 mix ratio 1:4 5/0:10/0 and 7 wud be 2:3 if i remember rightly. . . 10/0 was good for liftin the tint out if u wanted blending highlighty bits but i often use 10/1 which lifts as well but jus makes it a bit more noticeable cos the ash clashes so it isnt so blended but more noticable and coll toned. . x

Breaking the base (sometimes called bumbing the base)on heavily highlighted or dimensional blondes- use a highlift tint or a loose on the scalp bleach apply only at the scalp, with an applicator bottle at the shampoo basin and let it process for 3-5 minutes, up to 7 if their base is 4-6, DO NOT leave it on too long, you just want to break the pigment slightly so that the grow out line isn't as harsh when you have a dark base and mega highlight. Works well for global blondes that like the deeper scalp also, after the regrowth starts to show have them book for a base touch up, we charge 1/2 price, it the extends their color service about 2 to 2 1/2 weeks before needing a complete retouch and gives a little room for swell or overlap if you aren't comfortable doing a global or all over blonde (bleach) retouch. This service is becoming more popular as the economy slows-

Latest posts

Back