professional tips for hairdressers

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minky

Reaction score
Hi, I thought I would start a new thread by asking all you profesional hairdressers to give other professional hairdressers a useful tip or more that you may have come across in hairdressing

anything from shampooing , cutting , colouring , perming extensions staightening ect right down to anything you may use or do to make life a bit easier
hope you will all share :hug: x minky

Here is my first 3 tips , when students are practicing highlights on a blockhead using thick conditioner add some professional talc to the mixture to thicken it up and help it grip ,

Also I was taught to never use the word bleach when asking someone to mix up a formula for you
always try and use the word powder or frosting , lol x sounds so much more professional in front of a client ,

If you have an all over tousled perm just tong a few sections of the top layers for a really natural curly look

I shall try and think of some more :hug: x minky

errrrrmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
1. when doing foils it is so helpful if you can get a junior to hold them in place for you and pass up, saves time and you get a much much closer result to the root.
2. Silver shampoo and conditioner does wonders
3. use the wrong end of the hairdryer to set the hair around the brush

x

*dont use much or any conditioner at the basin when doing a `big` blowdry - its easier to add yourself with leave in conditioners,serum and spray shine - many a hairstyle has been ruined by over zealous juniors .
* dont believe everything a client says regarding the history of their hair if in doubt do a test

what a good idea Minky !
1. If you get tint on a clients clothes (or your own) BY ACCIDENT spray loads of hairspray over the stain before it dries in, when the garment is washed it will come out.
2. When you are training someone to cut, use gel in the hair as this helps towards neat sectioning and the trainee can see what they are doing better.
3. this isn't really a tip, but.... when you have got rowdy or slightly naughty children in the salon I always give them a block and some velcro rollers to play with including boys they seem to love it and they play quite happily in a corner !!

Ok when training on the block in preperation for learning foils make sure your foils are long enough or that you push the ends in to the middle of the foils a bit. The colour on the ends of the hair will then not touch the hair at the roots and leek out when you fold up your foils. Oh and toni and guy dvds are realy good aswell!!!xx

when your training like me.......dvd's are excellent to watch sit at home with your cutting plans your given (we tend not to understand them) watch the dvd (toni and guy are brill ones) and watch whilst looking at your cutting plan......even draw your own cutting plan...so you understand it better, and never be afraid to bring your cutting plans out whilst at college when your cutting hair on a client......anything that helps you get round cutting is a good thing....

draw the colour star on a bit of card and keep it in your pocket......its really handy especially when your training....( a bit like a nurse when they have drip rates written on a tongue supressor)

great thread!!
when straightening hair pull the sections the opposite direction you want it to fall and it should end up really sleek/straight

if you have a lot of static after blowdrying etc mist some lacquer onto a vent brush and gently run through the hair

Keep your old blocks you can experiment with new patterns etc that youve invented and do mad extreme stuff to them had mine out the other day after years of it being at the back of my cupboerd doesnt matter how damaged or nasty it gets and you dont need to tone etc because you can see the result form lifting it orangy!!! xcxxx

Hi I save bits of different coloured hair from waste cut off bits ,
I use them to perfom new colours / bleaches and products on on ect ,

I also like to bleach some up to try out new toners ect

just tape up the ends with sellotape and keep them in a bit bag
then you can be confident in using a new colour or product

:hug: x

When toning blonde and the ash grabs a bit too much and goes purple, mix up some bleach and hot water to get rid of the purple.

If you have colour on your uniform, spray it with hairspray, wait then wash it out.

Use perming lotion and a touch of water on a cloth to rub off colour marked on your skin.

Pour milk on a sensitive scalp from bleach etc..(personal exp)

Prob all well known hints but i found these great!

Hi, here is another one I forgot , when toning very light blonde hair with an ash based tint or toner ,
never take an ash through the ends (in case of grab)
always swap to a natural so that you dont get that grab ,
eg, if you are using 10/1 or a 9/1 on the roots

swap over to a 10/0 or a 9/0 for the mid leghths and ends :hug: x minky

i used 10/1 to colour correct another salons monstrosity, the poor girl had white hair on top and ginger underneath, and wanted her roots done and the ginger taken out and the white on top broken up, so it was 12/1 roots, 9/7 foils and toned her old ginger out wit the 10/1, i jus was extra careful not to touch the white on top haha, i have always been to scared to tone using a flat 10/0 incase u get that khaki green tinge. . . xxx

i used 10/1 to colour correct another salons monstrosity, the poor girl had white hair on top and ginger underneath, and wanted her roots done and the ginger taken out and the white on top broken up, so it was 12/1 roots, 9/7 foils and toned her old ginger out wit the 10/1, i jus was extra careful not to touch the white on top haha, i have always been to scared to tone using a flat 10/0 incase u get that khaki green tinge. . . xxx

That sounds like a colour correction to me lol x

I wouldn't have put anything on those white bits either it was far too over bleached and damaged ,

bet you had to be really careful washing the other coloured foils off ,

if using 10/1 to tone the roots on a normal head of lightened hair
I just find its better to swap to a natural 10/0 if you need to tone down the mid length and ends a bit , but thats only if it needs toning,

if you don't swap over to a natural and you use the 10/1 on the ends you can get that nasty khaki ash grab ,

if in any doubt about any toning always perform some test pieces first

oh it defo was, i was prepared tho because she had come in the week before to get her hair curled for a wedding and told me that the other salon had told her that was just the way it was, i was like they told you this is how it should look? it really bugs me when folk take advantage and just lie to clients so they dont have to fix it, the white hair was wrecked that it is struggling to hold onto colour towards the ends, i explained to her that hopefully with some tlc it will feel better, i even gave her home some free deep treatment to use every once a week untill she comes back, haha aint i nice haha, they were jus samples mind. . xx

Hi, you sound like a really good hairdresser especially with colour combinations,
and one who likes to take good care of all clients , and as you know
this makes a lot of difference to the clients,
this is why they will come back to you ,
because they know you care :hug: x minky

well colour is my fave, i am by no means the best ever but i am getting their, i am in love with trying new colour combos on people who are willing to give them a whirl, my new fave is mixin really dark bases with really light tones, which rarely gets done but i think the results speak for themselves, my fave at mo is mixin 2/0 or 3/0 with some of the celtic coppery 8's in colour touch, infact that what i used on my own hair to test it before doin it on clients haha, i always use myself as a gunie piggy haha x

Hi, another tip ,
when taking of a cap that has been used for highlights
after rinsing the bleach or colour off
put on some conditioner on the hair before removing it
and give it small little tugs rather than one big one ,
always dry and dust the cap with talc to prolong its life ,

another tip ,
If you run out of barrier cream
use the blue Dax Wax around the hairline as a barrier cream before colour
or perms
it smells nice and is lighter than petroleum jelly :hug: x

here is a naughty but reliable one , any sort of ash residue on a damp piece of cotton wool with a little shampoo on it ,
will most certainly get rid of unwanted colour stains on the skin and it doesn't smell at all ,
but shhhh its a secret formula , :hug: lol x

Hi I save bits of different coloured hair from waste cut off bits ,
I use them to perfom new colours / bleaches and products on on ect ,

I also like to bleach some up to try out new toners ect

just tape up the ends with sellotape and keep them in a bit bag
then you can be confident in using a new colour or product

:hug: x
lable the bag with clients name and show the client possibilities for their next color when they come in.

Duct tape- gets the hair out of velcro rollers better than anything else I've found. Also gets it off the velcro cape closures.

Hi , Just bumping up the thread , lol x :hug:

another tip to remember when assesing hair is that
tint wont lift tint even the semi/ quasi colours

bleach is needed to lift it,

also never take a clients word that they haven't put any colour on their hair,
always do test peices first
aterwards they always say

" Oh it was only one of those the wash in wash out ones I didn't think it mattered " lol x
:hug: x minky

really? i have lifted hair coloured with semis using 10/1 10/0 or 10/8 or 10/16, i think 10 is the miracle shade hahaha, seriously i have become a tenner like, everything i do involves 10 in some form ahahahaha, x

Latest posts

Back