Professionalism - what, how, why?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eni

Reaction score
I found some information on another board I frequent (www.fashion-incubator.com) - I am also a seamstress and thats my other hangout.

Anyway, in the US there are new regulations coming into play with regards to toy/clothing manufacturers which brought up some great discussion about "professionalism - what is it?" that actually relates to the beauty biz as well.....especially in light of the fact that at least here, in NZ, we aren't really regulated at all, and in other places the regulations are not as strict as some of us (OK, most of us) would like to keep the riff raff (ha) out.

So, for your reading pleasure - a pressie from me from the above site:

HOW TO MOVE UP TO ANOTHER LEVEL
There’s been some scattered discussion about what professionalism means. Some non-members in the forum have assumed professional involves production of large lots (NB: or heaps of clients in our biz) but it has nothing to do with scale.

Professionalism means adopting competencies such as the lingo and practices designed to smooth transactions, facilitating communication and understanding regardless of company size or sales. Based on everything I read, professionalism provides “a foundation for effective communications and efficient performance”. Never at any time was company size or output mentioned.

This image really brings it to light:
professional_competencies.jpg

Discuss!
Peace
Nancy :)

Last edited:
I think it's spot on really! To be truly 'professional' then we have to incorporate all of those things to benefit ourselves, our clients and our industry. Sadly not all business owners follow this though. The stories that are relayed of poor customer services and treatments never fail to shock me.

Latest posts

Back