Profit from spray tanning?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lorraineandmia

Reaction score
Hi girls and guys

I am thinking of training to do spray tans. Ive always been passionate about all things beauty and at the ripe old age of 43, I want a career change.

I have a friend who has been in the beauty/hairdressing industry for 20 years. Shes warning me off doing spray tans as she says you dont make any profit?

Now, Im not expecting to make lots of money from this, just a bit of pocket money, but do any of you have any advice on making the most profit from each spray tan? I have read that 50ml should do one body but...... she is saying thats rubbish. More like 100 - 150ml. She is currently charging £10 introductory and then £15 per tan.

Also what tanning products to use eg. the actual tan?

Help help :)

The best thing to do is ring and research spray tan brands. Have you maybe as your her friend she would rather you were not in competition with her xxx

Depends on what you charge and what the other salons or mobile therapists charge in your area. I never get calls for tans unless i am traveling down Devon to do my sisters and her mates wants one, i have only done family so far, and i charge £10.. Salons around my area charge from £6-£8, which i think is too cheap! If people want a tan they will pay the price i like to think, but sadly they are use to having it cheaper!

But research is a better option etc. Maybe offer one or two other services along with a tan, for extra pocket money.

Hi, no she does seem to actually want to help me but just thinks that there is nothing in it. She pays £57 for a 1litre bottle of tan. I guess £15 is quite low for a spray tan too do you think?

I use Suntana, I use 50ml per tan (slightly more if its a larger lady) and its one of my most popular treatments! X

Crickey £6 - £8 is super cheap! How on earth can they make anything!!!

Yes I want to do other services also, but unfortunately its a complete career change and I am not trained in other things yet. Everybody I speak to is trying to put me off the whole beauty industry.

Thank Lipstick Kisses. Its fascinating how some say its not popular and some say its their most popular. Is Suntana a really good make, or kinda middle of the road? I of course dont want to ooompa loompa the clients but also want a half decent make also lol

Hi, no she does seem to actually want to help me but just thinks that there is nothing in it. She pays £57 for a 1litre bottle of tan. I guess £15 is quite low for a spray tan too do you think?

Depends which brand you purchase, all are different prices for 1litre bottles. Some range from £34 also.. And it depends on how much you use per client.

Crickey £6 - £8 is super cheap! How on earth can they make anything!!!

Yes I want to do other services also, but unfortunately its a complete career change and I am not trained in other things yet. Everybody I speak to is trying to put me off the whole beauty industry.

Yea i agree its cheap, but that is in my area, hence why i probably don't get much request for tans. I only purchase 200ml bottles to do on family or my sisters friends, pointless me buying anymore as i don't have a demand for it. Where would you be planning to get your training to do these tans?

Before I started I put everything in a spreadsheet so that I could work out how much an individual spray tan would cost. Ie. gloves, hair net, sticky feet, 50mls of solution, barrier cream, couch roll - everything, even wipes to clean the tent out afterwards. From this you can work out how much you need to charge to make the profit you want to.

I am only very new to tanning and at the moment I'm not really pushing it as I'm working full time in another job, but I gather that you will need to show how much each treatment costs for your records anyway, so I suggest starting with a spreadsheet.

The other thing to consider profit-wise is the start up costs and how long it will take you to earn this back before you 'make' money. You will need to attend a training course to get insurance, buy a machine, tent, solution etc ...

Hth x

PS. I find I hardly ever use more than 50 mls - I don't understand how you could use up to 150 mls unless it was a much larger person. Maybe she sprays twice (which I believe has no benefit)? Or from very far away? And if she is only charging £10 per treatment that must be next to zero profit!

I did my training 16 months ago with sienna X I to only use around 50ml as thats how we got tought. I also got taught to never spray twice!! I charge £20 but 9 times out of 10 have an offer on for £15 I find I get loads of clients with this and I most certainly do make a profit I even retail the gradual tans etc. Hope this helps x

Sent from my GT-I8190 using SalonGeek mobile app

Hi, I also use sienna x. I spray once, use approx 50ml and charge £20.

I never have offers on it.

I never get people coming back to complain.

It is by no means my most popular treatment but I get a couple of clients per week.

Yes, I make a profit, otherwise I wouldn't do it :)

Good training, a good quality tan and getting your gun setting right will go a long way to not losing money. Pricing correctly and not devaluing yourself will go a long way to earning you money xx

Sent from my HTC One X+ using SalonGeek mobile app

I use Fake bake & i got alot of customers calling me because they have searched for a fake bake tan. I charge £20 & I am mobile & most weeks have a minimum of 3 tans, ive had 19 this month & no doubt il have a few calls or texts before the week is out!

After fuel, disposables & tans I do make a profit. Its a nice little extra to add to my nails & waxing!

If i was to use a cheaper tan, I would charge less. & I only offer discounts to group bookings as it saves me fuel & time.

Xx

You should only be using between 40-50 ml per full body tan. Your friend is either soaking the client or double spraying still using too much solution. Get yourself a good trainer and brand and you can do ok with tanning. Don't sell yourself short with pricing. Sure, have special offers when quiet (£10 per tan) but no less than £15 if mobile (I tried £20 but not as many bookings, never a problem with £15).

I wouldn't be able to encourage someone into the industry it's just not good business sense as it is a competitive market.

If you're trained correctly (I trained with sienna x and use LA tan) then you shouldn't use more than 50ml.

If you enjoy doing them and promote them they can make you alot of money but are best along side beauty than a career change.

To be confident in any beauty treatment I'd always advise gaining a beauty therapy qualification first which will cover all your a and p and contra indications so you feel confident in carrying out treatments and answering questions

Good luck x

Latest posts

Back