Proper way to file natural nail?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moushax37

Reaction score
When I was in school, they stressed that filing from each side to middle was the best way to file the natural nail to prevent it from splitting and peeling.
I have been watching tutorials recently, a lot on the cnd website, and they are always "sawing" the nail.
Has something changed in the last 5 years that I dont know about? :eek:

Yes, CND teach that you should file backwards and forwards. This is the correct way to do it, as long as you are using a 240 grit file. It will only harm the nail if you're using something really rough, which obviously you shouldn't anyway! x

When I was in school, they stressed that filing from each side to middle was the best way to file the natural nail to prevent it from splitting and peeling.
I have been watching tutorials recently, a lot on the cnd website, and they are always "sawing" the nail.
Has something changed in the last 5 years that I dont know about? :eek:

Yes .. allot, and changed more than 20 years ago and not 5!

For one thing much research has been done on the materials that modern files and buffers are made of. The new materials are so much finer than the old fashioned sand-paper-coated files that in fact it has been proved by photographing that the newer files actually tend to 'seal' the nail plate layers when filed in a gentle back and forth motion (sawing is not a word I would use) and they do not tear up the layers.

Unfortunately, text books and die hard beauty therapists (many of who teach nails in college environments) are 20 years slow at catching up with outdated information and irrationally set in their ways and the way they were taught from twenty years ago to the present day. Lots of things have changed but unfortunately not the college curriculum. No wonder students are :confused:

yes i was taught at college too moushax 37 to file the same as you and still do it now! So geeg i use CND files so just to clarify i can do it back and forth with these? how silly that colleges are so outdated then!!! thats bad x

Oyyyy :wink2:
Its amazing the things they don't teach you in school. I am just waiting and waiting for some education to come to Colorado. I JUST missed several in October, but I didn't actually start looking until November. Thanks for clearing that up though :)

yes i was taught at college too moushax 37 to file the same as you and still do it now! So geeg i use CND files so just to clarify i can do it back and forth with these? how silly that colleges are so outdated then!!! thats bad x

ONLY with files and buffers 240 grit or higher and at the correct angle of course.

Just to clarify, this is not a matter of right or wrong ... these are two different methods of filing and both are 'correct' with the right tools .. one is not wrong and the other right. Either is perfectly acceptable.

ONLY with files and buffers 240 grit or higher and at the correct angle of course.

Just to clarify, this is not a matter of right or wrong ... these are two different methods of filing and both are 'correct' with the right tools .. one is not wrong and the other right. Either is perfectly acceptable.

Hi geeg thats great thank you for that!x

Would it be acceptable to use the back and forth method with a crystal/glass nail file?
These types of files don't normaly show what grit it would be so how can you tell?

Would it be acceptable to use the back and forth method with a crystal/glass nail file?
These types of files don't normaly show what grit it would be so how can you tell?
I personally wouldn't use them on clients , I think there pretty much unregulated and not made of safety glass , I also don't find them all that good at filing x

I use the 240 grit CND kanga file for natral nails and yes i sea saw .

Last edited:
Wow I was told at college only this year that if I sawed back and forth on my manicure exam I would fail instantly!

Yeah the NVQ2 which I have recently completed I swear it was in the manicure paper as a question. I put to file in one direction as they taught us that! But some of the NVQ questions are so vague sometimes, lots of my questions there were two possible answers for or the question was worded poorly.

I actually had a glass file to break in half while using on a natural nail client with one half still in my hand and the other half flying across the room! Will never use one again.

I too was taught to file in one direction (20 years ago). This is why it's good to connect with others in your field so you stay up to date on things. I see saw when prepping for enhancements but one direction on natural manicures. This is good to know.

I have only recently done my manicure course and was taught to file towards the middle from both sides. I feel like a right pleb trying to file a clients nails, I find going back and forth much easier and quicker.

I know this is also a silly question but what grade files are used for what purpose? My manicure course was rubbish and I wasn't taught this either. In fact, i really feel like I should do another manicure course as have so many unanswered questions.

I have only recently done my manicure course and was taught to file towards the middle from both sides. I feel like a right pleb trying to file a clients nails, I find going back and forth much easier and quicker.

I know this is also a silly question but what grade files are used for what purpose? My manicure course was rubbish and I wasn't taught this either. In fact, i really feel like I should do another manicure course as have so many unanswered questions.
higher grit the finer the touch of the file , 220 and up are for natural nails , nothing lower , buffers are about 1200 and up (yep even they have a grit)

lower grits are for enhancement jobs ,
220 / 180 might be used for blending tips , de bulking and rebalances , removals

some products are rock hard and might need a 100 to a 80 grit file , i never use anything lower than 180 really but I only use CND files they are very good quality , totally sanitizerble and long lasting ,

cheaper files may vary ,
hope this helps x

Think I might get some CND files. These sound very good. X

higher grit the finer the touch of the file , 220 and up are for natural nails , nothing lower , buffers are about 1200 and up (yep even they have a grit)

lower grits are for enhancement jobs ,
220 / 180 might be used for blending tips , de bulking and rebalances , removals

some products are rock hard and might need a 100 to a 80 grit file , i never use anything lower than 180 really but I only use CND files they are very good quality , totally sanitizerble and long lasting ,

cheaper files may vary ,
hope this helps x

in california you cannot sanitize file/buffers or give them to your client after you used it on them. youre supposed to break them in half and throw them away. so sad huh?

Latest posts

Back