Protecting my Shellac while working

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elainel

Reaction score
I'd hoped that a pair of latex gloves would have protected my Shellac manicure while performing a Shellac removal on a client ... No, the gloves got holes in from the Acetone and my Shellac was ruined.

Apart from wearing 2 pairs of gloves has anyone got any good ideas?

Elaine x

I'd hoped that a pair of latex gloves would have protected my Shellac manicure while performing a Shellac removal on a client ... No, the gloves got holes in from the Acetone and my Shellac was ruined.

Elaine x

At what point are your nails getting ruined? Like at what stage is the acetone getting on your nails? Do you use cotton wool and foil or wraps? X

I don't even wear gloves when I'm removing my clients shellac & mines stays on perfect, acetone still gets on my nails but it has 2 be left on for at least a few mins before it wud start removing yours??

Elaine x

You might try nitrile gloves. Here's a link about what kind of gloves protect against what kinds of chemicals - http://amo-csd.lbl.gov/downloads/Chemical Resistance of Gloves.pdf

If your own nails are quite strong, i.e they dont bend, then you can use Glaze 'n' Go topcoat and it works a treat as it is acetone resistant.
x

Switch to Gelish. Nothing removes them until you break the seal of the Top It Off top coat! I only wear Gelish and remove acrylics as well as other peoples Gelish etc and never had any problems.

Clients keep sayiing "why isn't it having any affect on your nails?". I tell them that it won't unless I buff off the shine on them. They love that and it confirms to them that they last too.

Gotta get Gelished!! :D

I have also tried wearing gloves when using d'solve. I have learnt to my got on with job in and. My nails re all stil intact. I do put on Solar oil later in the day. Not sure what else we can do.x

Get a pump bottle for the acetone so u just press down a few times with a piece of cotton wool and your nails shouldn't get any acetone on at all ?

I already use a pump! Any other recommendations?x

I too have problems...the best gloves I found were the black ones that tatto artists use.I don't have a name or link as I was given them xx

I had the same problem and ended up resorting to wearing household gloves but I opted for vibrant pink instead of the boring marigolds ;)

Thank you all for your good ideas, re-doing my Shellac tonight so i'll try some of these and see how I go. Like the idea of a pair of pretty dishwashing gloves too :)

Thank you all for your good ideas, re-doing my Shellac tonight so i'll try some of these and see how I go. Like the idea of a pair of pretty dishwashing gloves too :)

Could also use tweezers to dip the cotton wool in acetone so you don't get any on your nails x

I had the same problem and ended up resorting to wearing household gloves but I opted for vibrant pink instead of the boring marigolds ;)

Me too :biggrin:

Could also use tweezers to dip the cotton wool in acetone so you don't get any on your nails x

This is what I resorted to doing. My nails are Gelished but the acetone takes off patches when doing a removal - I never need to buff to remove it.

I've resorted to wearing nitrile gloves, only for when removing shellac. They do work. Hth, xx

I bought some nitrile from our local wholesaler for the same purpose. I used to use them in a micro lab and they were superb. These ones are a bit rubbish though. The acetone took the top off my fingers (of the gloves!!) fairly quickly. I wonder if they're just a cheaper/thinner gauge. Need to shop around methinks as the lab ones were awesome. I just can't remember where I bought them from. x

My Top Tip for a Tuesday.

I decant my Bio Sculpture Gel Remover into a 100ml HDPE plastic bottle with screw top. (If you search on the auction site you will find them :wink2:) make sure it's HDPE as this is OK for acetone. These bottles have a screw top pointy tip on them.

I hold the tin foil wrap under the finger and place the wonderwipe (cotton wool pad if you like) on top of the nail plate. I then wet the pad in situ and wrap with the foil. Tah Dah.......no remover on my nails.

Ta dah! Some really good ideas here, thank you!

I use plastic gloves like the ones you get in home hair dye at the moment. Latex melted for me too :(. I got a huge bag of them given off a local childminder and they do the trick.

Latest posts

Back