Purchasing Shellac and where to start!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fair40

Reaction score
New to Shellac, wondering what colours are popular and is it better to start with the starter kit? Will I use/need all the solutions? Only ever here about ScrubFresh. Bit confused with what to get me started.:confused:

First things first, book yourself onto a CND Shellac course, you will learn everything you need to know there :D I personally purchased the largest starter kit possible because you get majority of the colours and everything you need to get started including 2 lamps (i keep one as a spare), yes it is a big amount of money to pay out in one go but Shellac isn't a cheap treatment to do and you need the correct kit to succeed. It's hard to say what colours are most popular because everyone is different. I find my most popular colours at the moment are the pinks and reds, lilac longing and steel gaze, but I can easily get a new client that will have something completely different. I have seen other techs on here saying that their most popular colour with clients is a colour I never actually use, so I really do think you need a wide selection of colours when you start out. Good luck :)

Thanks for that, you've confirmed why I thought really. I've tried to book course at CND Manchester Academy, but none until April now😟 I will still book on, but us it best to wait for better offers there or purchase from Sweet squared? Not sure of other stockists. I'm going to NSI tomorrow to stock up for my acrylics, it's right opp a 'Sally's' so thought I'd be able to get it there. Need a fast delivery option as have a few clients booked in 2 weeks!😕

Thanks for that, you've confirmed why I thought really. I've tried to book course at CND Manchester Academy, but none until April now😟 I will still book on, but us it best to wait for better offers there or purchase from Sweet squared? Not sure of other stockists. I'm going to NSI tomorrow to stock up for my acrylics, it's right opp a 'Sally's' so thought I'd be able to get it there. Need a fast delivery option as have a few clients booked in 2 weeks!😕

Sweet Squared is the official UK distributor. Only other official sub-distributors are Ellisons and the academy's I believe. You cannot purchase Shellac from wholesalers such as Sally's.

You say you have clients already booked in for Shellac but you haven't yet purchased your kit? I think you may come unstuck there as I believe the CND lamps are out of stock and there is no definite date when they will be back due to shipping from USA and customs etc.

Personally I would cancel your Shellac clients until you have the kit and have practiced etc. last thing you need is to have to cancel clients last minute if you can't get hold of the lamp.

Congratulations on choosing CND though, it's fabulous and you'll love it and it'll do wonders for your business! Good luck with everything and happy shellacing x

There is a shortage of lamps (well none at all actually) so you can't actually buy the lamp or the starter kits at the moment. This could also be the reason why they aren't taking bookings for training....maybe check back in a couple of week if/when the lamp situation is resolved.

Manchester Academy have the same pricing as S2, however they do sometimes have offers like buy additives set and get free training. They also frequently have open days and events so if they are local to you it's worthhwhile to get to know the girls and the academy.

The only other authorised stockists are the other Creative Academy+ locations and Ellisons. None of them have any lamps at the moment.

Must be us crazy Americans :p buying all the lamps lol
I have one in use and I always keep spares in my storage room (3 at the moment) cause you just never know when there is going to be a shortage or be stuck without a lamp at the last minute

Sent from my SGH-I337M using SalonGeek mobile app

Thanks ladies! I do have a lamp, given lots to think about. May consider shifting the diary about and getting on a course. I am fully qualified to NVQ L3 but in acrylic and gel, so would I have to buy the 'CND' lamp specifically? Looking forward to using Shellac though😉

You may want to read the other lamp threads on the forum. CND have always said you must use their lamp to guarantee the shellac is cured. Your insurer may specify you must use a whole system so that is another consideration.

You will need the CND lamp to be able to do the Shellac course. S2 will not allow you to book the course until you can prove you have purchased the correct lamp x

That's worth knowing. Thanks Aaspa. I know they had kits 3 weeks ago and lamps,as I was going to book course then. However due to an operation have had to wait:/ worth the wait though as looks a winning product!:)

I have a question about gel polish! Can you use rhinestones underneath the top coat of gel? Will it still cure properly?

Latest posts

Back