Question about Onycholysis treatment

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

honeycure

Reaction score
First of all, happy holidays everyone :)

I'm very embarrassed to admit this, but I damaged my pinky nail by ripping my enhancement off a while back. I left it alone for about a month and decided to wear buff off gel enhancements for the holidays. I noticed that a day after I applied the gel, onycholysis was forming in that pinky nail. Unfortunately I didn't have anything to remove the gel with so I just nursed it with solar oil and antiseptic for a few days.

ZqMna.jpg

I got home today and removed most of the gel and cut the nail down as much as I could, but I'm having trouble getting the dirt out of that pocket. Is there something I can dip my finger in to get that stuff out without having to use tools? I've never had this happen to my own nails so I'm a little scared :Scared:

Or should I just leave it alone and continue applying solar oil and antiseptic?
Thanks in advance everyone!

I had this happen and soaked my fingers in diluted tsp and washed out with cotton bud ;)

That doesn't sound so bad! I'll try that out. Thank you :)

or a drop of neat tea tree oil. Its antifungal, antibacterial and antiviral:lol:

Thanks for the suggestion :) I'll stop by the store tomorrow

You really don't need to use an Antiseptic wash all you need to do is file it as short as you can, even shorter than it already is and apply your solar oil at least twice a day dropping a little under the nail.
For cleaning use soap, water and a scrubbing brush this will remove any dirt that gets under but if you keep it very short it's more difficult for dirt to get under it.

I have Onycholysis on 4 of my fingers this only happens if I let them grow to long and have never had to apply Antiseptic Wash just my solar oil.

No scrubbing brushes or anything put under the nail!! Any thing can damage the delicate nail bed and cause healing to take longer! A bit of Solar Oil and/or tea tree oil will help but only once or twice a day. The nail plate needs to reattach and oil in the gap all the time won't help this but will help to keep the nail bed soft.

Just keep it clean, use oil, don't buff it and leave it for a while and it will soon repair itself

No scrubbing brushes or anything put under the nail!! Any thing can damage the delicate nail bed and cause healing to take longer! A bit of Solar Oil and/or tea tree oil will help but only once or twice a day. The nail plate needs to reattach and oil in the gap all the time won't help this but will help to keep the nail bed soft.

Just keep it clean, use oil, don't buff it and leave it for a while and it will soon repair itself

Sorry mum should have made it clearer I use the brush along the tip of the nail as the nail is as short as it can be it doesn't go under the plate just along the extension edge.
Oh just realised I wrote scrubbing (night out and pain killers has clouded my brain slightly haha) what I use is a baby's nail brush so soft and gentle :o

Latest posts

Back