Question regarding extending the nail bed!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sian1979

Reaction score
I have a question regarding when techs extend the nail bed of an enhancement. I personally have very very short nail beds so really do require this service. I have seen some amazing work on here as examples of this......but something has been niggling me about it. There are a fair few pics that seem to extend the nail bed further than the tip of the nail (so the highest point of the smile is off the tip of the finger....if you know what i mean).....making it look a bit wierd in my eyes....depend on the angle that you look at it from....as no ones nail bed are like that...so looks un natural.
I would just like your opinions on this...im not saying its wrong.....but just interested in it.........as will probably be doing it a fair bit i my own nails are anything to go by.:lol:
Thanks in advance for your responces.:):)

Last edited:
If you are extending the nail bed you need to keep the 'corners' of your smile inline with where the natural nail smile line 'corners' are or on a biter where it should be otherwise they can look unbalanced
thats what i teach and do when extending nail beds

Jess
xox

I have a question regarding when techs extend the nail bed of an enhancement. I personally have very very short nail beds so really do require this service. I have seen some amazing work on here as examples of this......but something has been niggling me about it. There are a fair few pics that seem to extend the nail bed further than the tip of the nail (so the highest point of the smile is off the tip of the finger....if you know what i mean).....making it look a bit wierd in my eyes....depend on the angle that you look at it from....as no ones nail bed are like that...so looks un natural.
I would just like your opinions on this...im not saying its wrong.....but just interested in it.........as will probably be doing it a fair bit i my own nails are anything to go by.:lol:
Thanks in advance for your responces.:):)

Know eaxctly what you mean!!! If they would remove the white part completely, it looks like their nailbed has actually grown longer than what the finger actually is....freaky!
Unless you are an alien:green:, than it's lovely!:eek:

I usually keep it inline with the end of the finger tip,
I have on occasion done one a bit too long and it ends up looking freaky !
I have wondered whether to get transparent forms for nail bed extending,
I find my acra c forms brilliant for this as I can see where I am putting my product to,
But I am not too used to using them on other people yet,
(or even transparent tips would work well thinking about it !)

This is why I like the reverse method too Because if I do need to and notice one or 2 ...or even all of them lol look to long at the end when I am
"out of my zone" I can just remove the form, and shorten it too match the lenth of the others before applying the free edge,

It does take longer, of course, But luckily it doesnt happen often

I have to say i can occasionally over extend, but it seems to look okay on me. (perhaps i am an alien....lol)

I don't usually do it intentionally, but i do make sure that the corners of my free edge are where they should be, i just get carried away sometimes with extending. (slap wrist)

Some people who do have long nails, actually do have nail beds that "look" as if they are beyond the edge of their fingers, but its just the way their hyponychium has grown very long and looks like it's the nail bed, so some people do have this naturally.

thanks for your replies....you have all sort of answered my question, as i wasnt sure if peopele were going it for a cosmetic appearance and done intentially or if it was just being done cause people didnt realise they were doing it (but i didnt really think this was the case....good tip emmsy with the clear forms!)

I have always done it on myself because i used to be nail biter and i have short nail beds myself and because i love long nails, i extend to balance out the nail better.

I also do it for clients for cosmetic reasons, plus it means you don't have to rebalance as often.

I've never heard of this technique before. How do you do it? Sounds like it would be very useful!

I've never heard of this technique before. How do you do it? Sounds like it would be very useful!

The quality of the video isn't great cause it was done on my phone but it gives you a rough idea of what it looks like, this was done over a tip.

it is where a more opaque powder is used to mask imperfections in the nail plate or to make them seem longer making the nail enhancement balanced and alot more attractive....custom blending is where the coour of the powder is matched to the colour of the skin/ nail bed.
HTH's

I always extend my nail bed as I have short stumpy nails. It is great because it means I can wear them a tad longer than I normally would and they're not out of balance. I also do what Jess said about putting the 'corners' of the smile line where my natural corners are. xx

what product do u use to extend the nail beds?? i used the pink masque from nsi and it looks unnatural....!! do u all do a CB then?? i think cnd have now a new powders for that, three different tones u can apply directly but i didn't try them yet....and thankx Sam for sharing that video...i like the way u work xx:hug:

hi....from what i have been told the new powders are good for a base mix but would probably still need a bit of tweaking....i think it just makes the job less complicated as it is mostly done already....hardly anyone has the same skin tone so to match different clients you would have to modify it a bit. I think they do a course for the custom blending which i think would be good. I have used flawless before but i think that looks too pink...even if i mix it with the perfect pink. There are quite a few people on here who have posted mixes that they have used....which i like to have a play around with ....plus the tutorials that GMG has done i have found really good as well.....still cant do it though......LOL....but i think it would be better if i did the course.

Am I right in thinking that the most popular way if you extend the nail bed (custom blend or ready made mix) is for the reverse application to be used? For those that do this with the reverse application is there ever a time when doing zone 1 first would be better or do you always do the reverse way?

Many thanks - and sorry for hijacking your thread Sian.

Am I right in thinking that the most popular way if you extend the nail bed (custom blend or ready made mix) is for the reverse application to be used? For those that do this with the reverse application is there ever a time when doing zone 1 first would be better or do you always do the reverse way?

no worries......!!:)
Since i have been shown how to do reverse properly i use it nearly all the time now. With regard to custom blending...i think emmsy had a good technique by saying that she could modify the length of the nail bed when she did reverse....i am going to try and do this next time i have a go at it. I also think you get a crisper smile line as well if you do it this way from what i have seen and been told.
:)

I always do the reverse method on myself,
I find it easier on my "wrong" hand,
and then it keeps them even on both hands iykwim,

But on a client I just deside at the time really, which was will be most suitable,
Actually thinking about it, I think If I am tipping, then I do zone 1 first...But If I am sculpting I reverse .
X

Latest posts

Back