Question regarding Tips v Forms

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

karentriff

Reaction score
I am trying to get my times down and I have been practicing sculpting on forms (Thanks to Geeg's wonderful tutorials) rather than using tips. I am now confident enough to start scultping on forms on clients. I bumbled across another forum on the net and the techs on there were saying that forms are too slow compared to tips. Is this correct? I had thought it would be the other way around as there is no sizing, sticking on and blending. (Which takes me ages) I understand with the new types of well less no blending tips that the process must be faster than using older types of tips but I guess what I am asking is generally would it be faster to apply tips using the newer versions available or to sculpt on a form?
(Currently is takes me over 3 hours on a nail biter)
Thanks
Karen

personally i despise tips...lol..i find that i am waay faster with forms but its all in how comfortable u r with them i suppose...with the well less tips i would guess it would be quicker...no blending but there is still sizing adhesive...not my cup of tea

I choose sculpting over applying tips.

Although there are some instances where I need to apply tips.

It's definitely a much quicker way of applying enhancements. And if I remember rightly (someone once told me) product is always stronger than adhesive, so this should make your enhancements automatically a little stronger.

It depends what you're good at :wink2:!!

I use forms and tips depending ont he nails I'm working with. If I have some free edge and a generally nicely shaped natural nail I sculpt, and it is quicker than tipping (for me). If I have a nail biter or need to do some correctional work I tip - the tip does the work on the shape for me and it is a much quicker option than sculpting as well as giving a nicer end result.......

Personally I don't like the tips 'vs' sculpting that often seems to emerge on here. I think a well-rounded tech will use both in approriate circumstances and it shouldn't mean that one is 'better' than the other!

Sorry this is long, and I hope it makes sense :)!! But basically, I can't say that in all circumstances I can sculpt faster I tip or the other way around, but what I do is play to my strengths!

hth's

It depends what you're good at :wink2:!!

I use forms and tips depending ont he nails I'm working with. If I have some free edge and a generally nicely shaped natural nail I sculpt, and it is quicker than tipping (for me). If I have a nail biter or need to do some correctional work I tip - the tip does the work on the shape for me and it is a much quicker option than sculpting as well as giving a nicer end result.......

Personally I don't like the tips 'vs' sculpting that often seems to emerge on here. I think a well-rounded tech will use both in approriate circumstances and it shouldn't mean that one is 'better' than the other!

Sorry this is long, and I hope it makes sense :)!! But basically, I can't say that in all circumstances I can sculpt faster I tip or the other way around, but what I do is play to my strengths!

hth's

I agree completely. There are allot of sculpting 'snobs'!! :lol: Who, in actual fact, if you compared their work with a beautifully applied tip, they would come out with a worse result.

I sculpt, just like you, when it is going to be easier, quicker and with a beautiful result.

I tip, just like you, when it is gong to be easier, quicker and with a beautiful result.

I do that which is easier for ME.

The result looks the same, lasts the same. If this is not true for some of you then it only shows that you are not doing one thing as well as the other.

And if I remember rightly (someone once told me) product is always stronger than adhesive, so this should make your enhancements automatically a little stronger.

Am I wrong in what I was told here then?

Technically you're right, but if both are structured correctly the difference in negligable........ A poorly structured sculpt will always be weaker than a well structured tip iykwim......

Good question to add!

NO ... Exactly as Vetty said.

There is a natural breakage point with a tip because there is a minute bit of adhesive (even less with CND Performance tips) but this is not necessarily a bad thing. I think it is a positive thing in fact.

I'd rather a tip break with force, at the tip, than break possibly further down and with much more pain with a sculpted nail.

In any case, built correctly the difference in toughness, even though it is there, is so small as to be not noticeable during the life of the service.

Thanks for all your comments. This is how I now see it, please correct me if I am wrong.
I should be able to sculpt or tip depending on the natural nail type eg nail biters or ski jump nails should be tipped
With the correct tips applied neither method will be necessarily faster?
Would you all be good enough to tell me some other nail type examples and what would influence your decision on whether you would tip or sculpt
Thanks
Karen

Thanks for all your comments. This is how I now see it, please correct me if I am wrong.
I should be able to sculpt or tip depending on the natural nail type eg nail biters or ski jump nails should be tipped Yes
With the correct tips applied neither method will be necessarily faster? True
Would you all be good enough to tell me some other nail type examples and what would influence your decision on whether you would tip or sculpt
The shape of the natural nail influences my decision - if the sidewalls are straight-ish, a bit of free edge, no ski-jump I will sculpt. But I find (and this could be a gap in my skills) that if there is a 'defect' in the shape I can exaggerate it by sculpting whereas a tip will correct it. A square c-curve with deep sidewalls can be a pain to sculpt as well.

Sometimes I will try and fit a form, find it's a mare and decide to tip instead!!!! I'm not afraid to admit something is easier for me.....

Thanks
Karen

hth's :)

Thanks heaps for that. It makes sense now after your explanations.
Cheers
Karen xx

Latest posts

Back