Raffle for breast cancer update

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug Schoon

Chemistry Geek
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

As we enter the third week of the "Battle of the Internet Web Sites"- we find that the professional nail industry Internet raffle to support the Susan G. Koman Foundation for Breast Cancer Research has picked up tremendous steam. As you recall, www.Beautytech.com (USA) and www.thenailgeek.com (UK/Ireland) are competing in this charity fund-raising event to which 100% of all donations go to this world renowned Foundation. They'll use the money to continue their valuable educational work, support programs for breast cancer victims and funding for cutting-edge breast cancer research. The "Raffle" is just for fun, but the money it will raise is seriously needed,. Of course, anything you are able to donate is greatly appreciated (and is 100% tax-deductible). You can click on either of the sites above for more information.
We are fifteen days into the raffle (with only 24 days to go) and these sites have raised (so far) an incredible, $2797 US or 1504 Britsh Pounds!
Here is the ranking between the two sites:
Drum roll please...

The still UK is in the lead, but their lead has narrowed to from 3:1 to 2:1 and the USA is closing in quickly!
TheNailgeek.com (UK)- $1951 or 1049 British Pounds
Beautytech.com (US)- $ 848US or 452 British Pounds

"That Samuel Sweet pulled a fast one", in the words of Webmistress of Beautytech.com, Debbie Doerrlamm. She's vowed to do the same and is confident that Beautytech.com will quickly surpass the brilliant start achieved by Samuel and the nail techs at www.thenailgeek.com. Of course, she was referring to the brilliant (and generous) offer of raffling to one lucky winner "two free hours, personal nail skills tutoring" with Samuel Sweet himself, who has world-renown for his teaching skills. The special "incentive" raffle was restricted to those who donated before the end of a 24 hour. As expected, that kind of offer brought a veritable flood of activity driving the site drive its total to the $2000 mark, and well over the 1000 British pound level.
Debbie say's she'll, "raise the ante and sweeten up the pot" with a special promotion of her own to be announced this Saturday. Say's the straight talking Webmistress, " they are running out of steam already and once we get going, we'll leave 'em in the dust, mark my words".

Remember, 15 lucky winners will receive a hand corrected, autographed, original manuscript chapter from my new book AND the satisfaction of knowing that they have contributed to an extremely worthy cause AND the knowledge that their contribution brings us one step closer to finding a cure for breast cancer... which is the entire point.

Please help spread the word and encourage others to participate. Send this post to ten of your nail buddies and ask them the past it on! Then, click on the web site that you support and get your raffle tickets before it's too late. All donations must be received by December 15, 2004 to be eligible for the drawing. But of course you can send a dontation anytime to be eligible for a good feeling in your heart and soul.

Thank you very much to all of you who have already donated and a special thank you to those of you who have taken an active interest in helping to promote this event. It is greatly appreciated! I will be back with an update for you again next week.

Until then...

Doug Schoon

God Samuel get your thinking cap on, Looks like Debbie will be snapping at our heels if not.

Given the population of America is goodness knows how many times bigger than ours, we are licking the pants off them - and we had still donated more than them before Sam's generous incentive to get us going!! But let's not get complacent guys - how good would Douglas' manuscript look framed on your salon wall? So get donating.

Hello everyone,

Just pushing this back up again

As you know we at the nail geek site are trying to raise money for Breast Cancer and the chance to win some excellent prizes. A Chapter of Doug Scoons new book and some very interesting days with Liza Smith, I am sure people like Anthony and Sabrina and the rest of you would love to add something to this collection of prizes and donate some time to teach us your skills & tips and we don't mind paying handsomely in raffle tickets to try and win.

I realise that it is very close to Christmas and a very busy time of year for you but We only have till 10th December to beat beautytech and we need to raise £6000, so tell everyone about the raffle it is such a worthwile cause and as Mrs Geek said we all know someone somewhere who has suffered from this.

Please dig deep in your pockets and buy as many as you can

http://www.thenailgeek.com/geek_charity.php

Thank you

Lucia
x

Looks like Doug is on beautytech side.
Thank for you very much for your support Vicki. Like you, I want to beat TheNailGeek.com. Nothing against Sam, but my heart is with Beautytech and it always will be.
JUST READ THIS ON BEAUTYTECH.COM

Hi to all geeks out there in Geekland!!!!
We have a serious fight on our hands and we need to raise some more cahs and fast............The end is close !!!!!!

We have so far raised a cool £1595.00
They have raised the equivalant of £1132.26

our lead is £ 462.74

The gap is closing ..... Come on Geeks lets go and get em !!!!!!!!

as of 12/08/2004 11:01 AM -0500 (That is EST New York time)
The US has raised $2194 -- unfortunately the UK has raised more than that (when you convert their money to US $)
The battle of the sites is a joke.. the reason behind the battle is very real.. Joanne (a member of the NailTech Mailing List) is 100% testimony to that fact, having discovered today 2 lumps in her breast and is scheduled for more tests on Wednesday. (Thank goodness the Dr's have reported to Joanne that all is well)

This Sunday night in chat several people told me:

• I don't have a paypal account (you don't need one)
  • I don't have a credit card (you can write a check)
  • I don't have a checking account (go get a money order)
There is NO excuse as to why you cant send in $1.00 to contribute to this very serious and very important research to find a cure for breast cancer.
I hope everyone of you will take this as a call to action.. don't sit around waiting for someone else to do it.. tomorrow you or someone you know could be diagnosed with cancer and wishing there was a cure.

NEW INFO 11/29/04 -- Doug has confirmed that not only will 15 lucky people win an autographed manuscript chapter of his new book, but also when the book is finished in March, you will receive an autographed copy of that as well!!

So please get clicking, clicking safes lifes xxxxxx
I just got another 10 tickets so now it's £1600.00

There is gonna be a lot of happy Boobies about xxxx

lell said:
Looks like Doug is on beautytech side.
JUST READ THIS ON BEAUTYTECH.COM

Doug is American and lives and works in American. I would hope he has his loyalty right there. I hope we don't have an English person who has more loyalty to the US :eek:

We are lucky enough to have GMG (who, although also American supports his adopted country) who gives his time and money providing us with this 'community'.

What is great about this 'friendly fight' is the comparison in size of countries and industries and we're winning!!!

Keep going Geeks

Marian

Agree with all you have written above Marian, It is a friendly battle and we are all raising money for the same cause.........Cancer.
Thats all that matters in the end.

Overnight the thenailgeek'ers passed us in the grass again and are in the lead!!!

Let's go all you slackers out there.. we CAN NOT let the geek's hold the lead in this quest to raise the most funds for a very worthy cause!! NOTICE: 12/12/2004 10:38 AM -0500 (That is EST New York time)
The US has raised $3320
unfortunately the UK Geek'ers have raised more than that
.. come on everyone..
let's show those Geeks what the Good 'Ole USA is made OF!
We have regained the lead wohoooooooooooooooooooooooo............
Tickets 3502, Amount: £1751.00

their total means that they have sold 3320 tickets thats in our money £1,738.85 so we are a few pound ahead............

But in ticket sales we lead by 182 tickets......yahooooooo..........don't let them catch us up geeks.......... we can do this xxx

Thanks guys, it just goes to show, we are a family that cares and no matter who we get our poison from, at the end off the day we are all friends that will stick together when it comes to some serious cancer fighting bizz.................
I am so proud to be a geek...........xxxxxx

So does it go on ticket sales or schekels raised ?

It goes on US$ raised. That makes it a little bit harder for us as the $ to £ changes constantly. I piriced tickets at 50pecs as a way to make them somewhat equivilent to the US $1 per ticket (I thought 56.5p per ticket was an odd price).

Considering how far they have come along the past 2 weeks... I think they may be giving out the grand prize :(

Latest posts

Back