Raise public profile...

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Pink Orange

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I have been trying to think of a post that would benefit the majority and benefit the industry...

I would like to raise the public profile of enhancements and the general public's knowledge of safe, healthy enhancements...but HOW?

I know that we techs educate our clients....but it is the clients that visit NSS salons, have had poor treatments or are unaware of the wide range of enhancements available that we need to get to!

Who could we look to to start a larger campaign? Would it be possible to make a change to get wider more industry specific regulation? Maybe someone could start a company devoted to this? if there was would you as techs join and pay a fee to make this happen?

I'm not suggesting that any of the above will work or be possible, just some thoughts of mine...what are yours?

:)

if there was would you as techs join and pay a fee to make this happen?
:)

Do you think only the techs should be interested? I think it’s in the interest of companies selling nail-products as well. ;)

We contribute with quality - we don't work in NSS salons turning out twopenny-halfpenny nails at the rate of ... I don't know how may... 20-30 sets per day? More?

Politians should get involved! bring a law in!!

Politians should get involved! bring a law in!!

Yep, you'd expect Health & Safety legislation and COSHH (Control of Substances Hazardous to Health) to have outlawed the use of MMA years ago!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

As a trainee (or soon to be!) I would love to become involved in making the industry more regulated. I have been focusing my own research at home before college and stuff begins on the chemicals used in the industry and am so shocked to find that we are nearly 40 years behind the USA ( or the vast majority of) in banning the use of MMA in nail products.

Anything I can do to help out then let me know - once trained, I would also be happy to pay into a regulated scheme to show that I am for the positive changes in the industry :D

No, Not at all...but I think the answer to that question could be used to work out commitment level's in making changes. :)

A company called Safe Salons tried to do just this and recently folded because not enough technicians were willing to pay. Maybe there were things they could have done differently but they tried and, like so any others that have been in the industry for a very long time, didn't get the support.

MMA doesn't need banning! It isn't 'dangerous'! It is just innapropriate to use for nail enhancements. It has been banned in the US and it hasn't helped at all (read Doug Schoon's opinion on the subject)

Education (for technicians and their clients) and professionalism is what will work in the end.

Thanks, will have a look...Interesting to know about safe salons, I had an inkling that may be the case...

I am not qualified to decide or give a valid opinion on the banning of MMA, I am positve that I want to support and work with educaters/suppliers who are, and develop my understanding of key issues such as this.

Some key issues I think it would be positive to focus on promoting, advanced techniques like custom colour blending...natural look and the problems that can be fixed! Promoting education for technicians-maybe the highly experianced peeps in the nail industry could pass on their knowledge at little or no cost? I know lots is available but it could be better....Maybe we should look to our trade organisations to promote good working practice more widely?

Is anyone aware of a 'code of practice', type agreement maybe a manual to clarify your position on key issues that as a tech you could sign up to? the more people who do the wider min service levels would followed? Does anyone think something like this might work? Sorry if this has been covered before?! Is it just that I am newish to this Trade!

Thanks Sara:)

Thanks, will have a look...Interesting to know about safe salons, I had an inkling that may be the case...

I am not qualified to decide or give a valid opinion on the banning of MMA, I am positve that I want to support and work with educaters/suppliers who are, and develop my understanding of key issues such as this.

Some key issues I think it would be positive to focus on promoting, advanced techniques like custom colour blending...natural look and the problems that can be fixed! Promoting education for technicians-maybe the highly experianced peeps in the nail industry could pass on their knowledge at little or no cost? I know lots is available but it could be better....Maybe we should look to our trade organisations to promote good working practice more widely?

Is anyone aware of a 'code of practice', type agreement maybe a manual to clarify your position on key issues that as a tech you could sign up to? the more people who do the wider min service levels would followed? Does anyone think something like this might work? Sorry if this has been covered before?! Is it just that I am newish to this Trade!

Thanks Sara:)

There already is an industry code of practice .... available through HABIA.

Nail technicians are notoriously apathetic about effecting changes ... maybe because the good technicians are always too BUSY getting on with their business. In any case ... some of us have tried for years. Many thousands of clients are well aware of what constitutes a good salon and many CHOOSE to go to lower end salons because they WANT to.
No one will change that and as Marian has pointed out it hasn't really made a scrap of difference in the USA that MMA for enhancements has been 'banned'.

I secretly think that most people's interest in the baning of MMA is not as altruistic as they make out. I think many are just plain jealous of the amount of business they see the discount salons doing and want them put out of the picture to enhance their own business.

Client education along with good customer service and excellent practices will draw clients to you and your business and the ones that don't care will go elsewhere, which is their right.

Hello Gigi,

Your back! Have missed your posts!

I am going to have a look into HABIA, I am keen to follow safe working procedures ect so maybe that is what I am looking for.

I would like to add that I personally am not looking to start a campaign against NSS salons. I am purley interested in raising public awareness of the services available and minimum working standards that clients can expect if at all possible?! :)

Latest posts

Back