Raynauds Syndrome and manicures?!!?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emily22

Reaction score
Hi there,

Have a new client who tells me she suffers from Raynauds Syndrome. I've never heard of this before but from having a quick look on the net I see that it affects the hands in the way of the arteries/ vessels going into spasm causing a circualtion restriction (correct me if im woring - just trying to explain it as best i can!)..
Client tells me that when this happens she cannot feel heat / cold etc and suffers with loss of sensation.

Im assuming i would have to avoid heated treatments because of this, but could anyone tell me if i should get docs permission before treating at all? She just wants a manicure treatment every 2wks. Has been seeing another therapist for sometime but the therapist is no longer doing nails and has passed her over to me... I would have thought that i dont need docs permission to do a basic manicure? The client is on medictaion for this condition...

Any advice would be appreciated.. x

Hmmm...if it were me, I would want Doctor's OK before treating...purely because the syndrome specifically affects the hands...do you usually do a massage with your manicures? Again, as the syndrome is circulatory, this could be an issue.

I would rather be safe than sorry in these kinds of situations.

I've got a client that suffers from raynauds and manicures are fine for her - in fact they benefit her condition greatly.
She particularly likes the warm mitts and massage as it helps with her circulation.
However if you are in any doubt - ask for a doctors cerificate particularly if you are unsure of the condition.
xxx

I believe we have a geek on here that suffers from this condition, hopefully she sees this and will be able to advise you.

My Antie has this, ive never given her a manicure because thats not really her plus shes a cleaner, but ive given her body massages etc, if that helps you to know. x

Thanks everyone for your fantastic advice! Im really looking forward to meeting this client as i had a long chat with her on the phone and we hit it off really well, she sounds like a real character and full of laughs! Im pleased to see that treating her shouldnt be a problem!
I will of course do a full consultation with her and go from there..

Thanks again for all the advice! If there are any other specific things that i should know about this condition please feel free to let me know! :hug:

i'l ask my antie if theres any thing that cant be done etc.

Victoria (VHunter) has this syndrome, hopefully she'll see this thread, otherwise you can send her a private message, I know she'll offer you all of the advice she can re your client.

I have a client who suffers with this syndrome.
It affects her hands a lot, and if it's slightly cold they turn blueish in colour.
She has major problems with enamels drying, even over L&P, so now she is a gel client - previously was L&P - with quite a lot of lifting, no matter what I did. The gels stick like **** to a blanket on her nails, which tend to be a classic for someone suitable for Brisa Gel - hard, ridged & brittle - due to her syndrome.
She also has a very tough eponychium and I've tried CND cuticle Eraser & solar oil as a home remedy, to no avail. I just have to be careful not to push it back too hard and keep the product away from it, which over time means that she has a large area of re-growth - which is an issue now she wears coloured gel. I must get her to buy matching enamels!

HTH's you hun xx

I have this and no it doesn't affect manicures!

My only problem is with galvanic for obvious reasons!

Becki xxx

Thanks everyone for all the great advice as always - You are all stars!!! x

Yes, it's me. I have Raynaud's disease.
I have sent Emily a message in answer, but will answer here as well in case anyone ever wants to know.

Here's a link with TONNES of answers:
HealthyOntario.com - Raynaud's Disease

There is Raynauds Syndrome and there is Raynauds disease. I used to know all the differences between them, but the only one that sticks out in my mind is that there is "too many anti-cardio lipids" in my blood... In other words, it's thick, clots easily and am prone to clots and have to be careful. (see link above)

People who suffer Raynauds are hypersensitive to cold temperatures (it can cause pain, instead of discomfort), vessels are prone to 'spasms' and restrict with little provocation. Most Raynaud's sufferers also have arthritis. And as my doctor put it, our internal thermostat is slow to change, so we have to avoid sudden changes in temperature.

EX: I once went from airconditioned office where I was freezing my tookus to 'heatwave' in the middle of summer, outside, and promptly collapsed on the metro (underground train) in a faint. My boss had to get me a space heater to use during summer months to counter the AC in the office.

Touching cold things is painful (cold coke can, etc). Our hands turn blue and when the vessels reopen and the blood comes back, they turn bright red. And when it comes back, it HURTS!! Yes, we have frequent numbness. It's sometimes a painful numbness, hard to explain.
When I get what is called an 'attack' as opposed to brief discomfort (ex: I've been out in the cold too long) it will last for hours and my hands and feet hurt and burn and ache and throb.

I personally have to take a vasodilator (opens vessels) and a blood thinner. I am NOT allowed things that restrict vessels such as: decongestants and many migraine medications (which is NOT fun since I also suffer migraines)

I have absolutely no lifting ever on my nails.
Parafin and heated mitt treatments are HEAVEN!
My eponychium and cuticles are normal.
If people touch me with cold hands, I freak.
I hide indoors most of the winter, and spend a great deal of time wearing many more layers of clothes than most people. I'll wear gloves LONNNNNNNNNNNG before anyone else. (hence why I tend to be cranky in winter months... long season of discomfort and looking at four walls....)
I drag a blanket around the house (why cause everyone else to melt if I'm the ONLY one freezing?). In fact, as I sit here, because my hubby turned down the heat for the night, my fingers hurt because they're cold. The temp is set at 20, but that's cold for me and probably hot for you.

Anyway.... sorry for rambling, but past my bedtime, but figured I'd answer as best I could for the moment.
Long story short: it's not like treating a diabetic. Just be sure not to expose client to anything cold, and let her decide on the temperture when water is involved. And if your salon is cool, try to have some tea or coffee on hand for her to warm her up. OR at least for her to hold the heated mug to warm up her hands.

nite nite, I'm off to bed:hug:

Latest posts

Back