Re-shaping acrylic brush?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShannonU

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I've searched through the forum to see if this has been asked already but nothing seems applicable.. I bought an acrylic brush (it's a size 6 sculpting brush with a very fine point).. I loved it but after my first use with it the brush changed shape completely and now has a slit through the center of the bristles.. I didn't clean it with acetone, I didn't accidentally spill disinfectant on it.. I literally used it once, cleaned with the monomer and then it just would not go back to shape.. I've been trying for months to get it back into shape (was shown to use a bar of soap and shape it back that way and leave for a few days) but that didn't work..It does shape it while the soap is in the brush but then when it's rinsed it goes back to the wonky shape. Does anyone have any tips or is the brush garbage?? I've since bought new brushes but the brush was $45 so I was hoping someone knew how it could be saved...

Thanks.

No one have any advice?

Did you remove the gum when you first got it? They are normally packed and shaped with Arabic gum ,

Once used a round brush might become flat it's normal .

But forking / splitting is not so normal

Sounds like it might be something to do with how the bristles are held together , (glued , tied , crimped , )

If it was an expensive brush could you call where it came from and explain the issue? It has been a few months so I don't thing you will get a replacement but it is worth asking there advice , even if only to provide them feed back .

Most good quality round brushes (and at the price you paid for it it should be a good quality brush) have a 'good' side and a 'bad' side for working. A brush often has to be 'trained' by the technician which means always using the same sides to work with and not to twist the brush while working so that you 'go against the grain' of the brush.

To start again with it, you can dip your brush into almost boiling water. Hold in the water for 10 seconds or so and then, using a paper towel, put into into a nice flattened shape with all the hairs laying in a nice straight direction and leave over night to dry. Then only ever use the flat sides for working. If the brush starts to split, then you are twisting the brush out of line as you are working and you need to get it back on track immediately.

By the way ... The hot water method also works to straighten out a kinked or bent brush.

Last edited:
Gigi
You are like an encyclopedia for us nailgeeklings. I always have to read anything your name is beside.. even if I don’t do acrylics I just learnt something good and useful . Tank you Gigi. If all mentors were like you we would have peace in the world!

Gigi
You are like an encyclopedia for us nailgeeklings. I always have to read anything your name is beside.. even if I don’t do acrylics I just learnt something good and useful . Tank you Gigi. If all mentors were like you we would have peace in the world!
Thank you ... It is nice to be appreciated. :hug:

thanks Geeg, i'm going to try this out tonight with an expensive brush i was using just after my course...it might get a new lease of life!!
thanks for all the great hints and tips
Eileen xx

Thank you Mizzy and Geeg for the great advice. I am definitely going to try the boiling water method ASAP. It was so strange how it started to fork like that. I didn't think I was going against the grain when using it but I must have for it to split so fast. I really appreciate the help! Thanks so much.

Very appreciated Geeg! :)

So I tried the boiling water method but I think that the brush is toast. I swear the brush was defective when I bought it because I didn't mistreat the poor thing. lol. Perhaps Geeg is right and I twisted it or used it against the grain but i'm sad that it doesn't seem to want to shape back.. :(

I tried to attach a picture but the attach section isn't working for me this morning.

There are some brushes that just "DO" that, very few, but some do.
if this happens you should call the company you bought it from, they should exchange it for a new one, once they see how the brush is behaving.
When this happens you should act as soon as possible (within a few days)

Arg! Thank you! I should have known to do that since I really didn't do anything to cause the hairs to split like that. I will remember that for next time if I have another brush like that. Btw-nailzoo I watch your videos all the time on YouTube. I aspire to do nails as elegant and natural as you do. You're just amazing.

Arg! Thank you! I should have known to do that since I really didn't do anything to cause the hairs to split like that. I will remember that for next time if I have another brush like that. Btw-nailzoo I watch your videos all the time on YouTube. I aspire to do nails as elegant and natural as you do. You're just amazing.
Better still, go to ubernailtraining.com and register to see all the new training videos just released by Carl! The very first is about brush care !! Funnily enough.

I will definitely check it out Geeg...

and LOL, that is funny. I really did take care of it though.. *sniff sniff* :biggrin:

I will definitely check it out Geeg...

and LOL, that is funny. I really did take care of it though.. *sniff sniff* :biggrin:
Well as Carl says, sometimes you do just get a rogue brush and of course it must be returned immediately.

The other more common scenario is the one I gave you of splitting the brush hairs through not using it in the way the brush wants to work. I didn't mention the rogue brush as the more common occurrence is miss use of the brush. In the case of miss-use ... Or a bent or kinked brush ... The hot water trick works brilliently.

Last edited:
I quite honestly think it was just a bad brush...(not saying that just because I want to feel better about losing the brush or the money..lol). My latest brush i've had for a few months, it was also an expensive brush, and it has worked beautifully..no splitting or anything.

Thanks again for all of your expert advice! I really appreciate it!

Latest posts

Back