re stiff hands

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

julie.castle3

Reaction score
hi does anyone out there have problems with clients stiff fingers. They dont seem to relax their fingers are stiff and it seem like they are trying to see what you are doing . it is so annoying. any answers

:wink2:

Ohhh can be annoying ....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This may help.
I roll a hand towel & place it under the clients wrist.

This seems to relax & 'drop' the hand.
Making it easier for you to place or roll where you need.

hTh XX J XX

Just something i was once told to say if your client persists in lifting her fingers and looking at there nails.

Quote "If you can see your nails, then i can't" Quote

I think you have to be a tad tactful when saying something like that, but i have to admit it gets the message across.

But like jnail has already said roll up a towel and allow the clients hands to relax over them. You can also buy the likes of a hand rests which just might help?

pmsl

i get told off by Debs all the time for this, she taps my fingers with hers and says relax and if i still ignore she asks if she is talking to herself.

did make me alugh when i read this but it can be annoying i know
x

jnail said:

Ohhh can be annoying ....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This may help.
I roll a hand towel & place it under the clients wrist.

This seems to relax & 'drop' the hand.
Making it easier for you to place or roll where you need.

hTh XX J XX

thanks but i already have an arm rest.

julie.castle3 said:
thanks but i already have an arm rest.
me too... it doesn't help with some clients.
I have one client who seems to fight against me seeing her thumb nail, I'm forever asking her to let me move it to where it needs to be, then she slowly pulls it back to an unworkable position... then we start over and I ask her again and again lol.
do you think it is nosiness with them wanting to see what you're doing or is it just that some people just can't relax enough?

christi said:
Just something i was once told to say if your client persists in lifting her fingers and looking at there nails.

I think you have to be a tad tactful when saying something like that, but i have to admit it gets the message across.

! I ALWAYS want to say this! But i think you have to be a certain kind of person to get away with it - i think i'd just sound rude!!! It's so true tho. I can understand them wanting to look first time when they're curious what you're doing, and concerned you might mess their nails up, buts its the regulars that are always pulling their nails away and inspecting and ... TOUCHING them! that gets me!

The amount of times i will have removed the shine / temporarily dehydrated / scrubfreshed... pnly for the client to inspect their nails / touch them / pull bits of fluff off their nails / scratch their face or head...!!!

grrr!

Perhaps you could suggest some hand and wrist stretches to encourage them to relax - or do a little bit of massage for them, or suggest they see a massage therapist.

my clients always seem to tense their thumbs and pull them back towards them
i just wiggle it a little and say 'can you relax ur thumb a bit for me please?'
no-one seems to mind
x

christi said:

QUOTE]

i was also told this, but this was also added
quote "and youre paying me to look at your nails" quote

I have a client that does this. She is lovely but she's so stiff! I always ask her to relax her fingers and she does for about 2 seconds. I do honestly think that these people like to keep a good eye on us & are possibly of a nosy character. (LOL) I too rest hands on a rolled towel. No better. I have got used to her now but I do find that it takes me longer to complete a full set or a re balance on people like this.

Nat Tov said:
I have a client that does this. She is lovely but she's so stiff! I always ask her to relax her fingers and she does for about 2 seconds. I do honestly think that these people like to keep a good eye on us & are possibly of a nosy character. (LOL) I too rest hands on a rolled towel. No better. I have got used to her now but I do find that it takes me longer to complete a full set or a re balance on people like this.

i also find that i get hand & arm ache

I`ve had one or two clients in the past that are so stiff that I feel I`ve done ten rounds with Tyson by the time I`ve finished.
I`ve used the usual "you pay me" sort of routine and I`m jovial enough to get away with it but what I do now is let their hands go, this makes the point and they relax for a little while. They soon stiffen again so I let them go again. It does makes their service a little longer which I account for now in timekeeping but its better than wearing myself out.

I have been known to tell my regular clients off for this! If it is a regular client that I know well, I will just tell them that I need them to relax. I also sometimes rub the joints to make them aware that they are holding their fingers too stiffly & it seems to make them relax without forcing the finger down. It is more difficult if it is a new client as you don't want to sound rude. I find that it is best to be direct & tell them otherwise they won't know that there is a problem. The position of the client's arm on the arm rest is also important though.

I have one in particular and find it really frustrating, I've tried to tell her politely but she doesn't seem to take any notice. Think in future I will try Debs way "letting go of the hand", I can see myself being there all day tho LOL.

Debs when you say you account for it now in timekeeping, do you explain to them after the treatment that it's slightly more expensive because of the time ???

x

I was at the NEC on Monday and I was watching Marco? doing a sculpt on someone with very stiff fingers. When she wouldn't relax he took her finger and kinda shook it so all the fingers went loose and wobbly. It was quite funny to watch, a special technique obviously :wink2:

I did a cracker! I had a client who couldn't have leaned farther back if she tried!! U no the score, couldn't see.. was getting backache blah blah. Next time I went, I got a mobile table with wheels and left 'em unlocked. I just kept moving the table closer to her with my feet and we ended almost 2 yards away from where we started!! Then at the end I asked her for mileage!!!

julie.castle3 said:
hi does anyone out there have problems with clients stiff fingers. They dont seem to relax their fingers are stiff and it seem like they are trying to see what you are doing . it is so annoying. any answers

Already have an arm rest???????.....................................

I still roll a towel if need be:

OR ask them to look away from what Im doing as this works alot of the time.
Offer a magazine or GEEK Article -

Another trick that has worked for me,,is to open a dove wipe & place a small amount 2 - 3 scoops[ I use the large end of my CND gold cutile push] of the Creative Spa Pedicure Sea Soak Rocks.
Very soothing - refreshing & another distraction.

Changing the subject or steering them onto a pleasent subject can work wonders also........

It's not unfair to ask to position themselves appropriatly...We are seated for a length of time more so than our clients.

Making them aware of our 's & their comfort during a service is not a luxury it's a necessity. Ensuring our longevity [posture wise] in the industry.

Blonde Bomsite That IS A CRACKER xxxx PMSL

hTh
XX J XX

i have this problem sometimes, so i have to keep asking the client to relax cause it makes my hand ache, also clients who 'sit back' tend to drag their hand further away from you, i take the hand and pull gently towards me and at the same time I'm explaining that this causes my back pain and she must sit closer to the nail desk, and not 2 feet away!!!!!

i have one client who HATES the filing on infills, she totally stiffens up her whole body, she says its like fingernails down a blackboard feeling....:eek:.eek!!! i just get on with it, but aching fingers at the end of it tho, she can not help it.....bless her.
clients have only 2 hours approx of sitting, i have, sometimes sat for 12+ hours, sorry but my back comes first, i love my job and i must feel comfortable at my nail desk...........good tools make good work..........your hands are your no 1 tools.
i had this discussion with Marco and other techs yesterday on the masters course, yes he flips the hand without saying anything, and it gets the message across. he also showed us how to stretch our backs in between clients( obviously in the staff room and not on the salon floor).
Try to explain to clients firmly, how it affects you and I'm sure they will respond and relax when having nail treatments........after all its supposed to be relaxing.

I have a client who is a NIGHTMARE for this - it's like rigor mortis has set in she's so stiff! :biggrin:

Luckily it's my mum so I can be a bit more cheeky when telling her to loosen up!

Latest posts

Back