Re-training

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xxlovenailsxx

Reaction score
Hi there, this is my 1st post, hope it's in the right place?!
I am 25 years old and I am looking to retrain as a nail technician. I have two young children and a part time job at the moment and because I would only get around £140.00 if I was to give up work and go in to learning I don't think it's going to be possible at the moment. Has anyone else been in this situation, if so any advice would be fantastic xx
When I begin training, I am unsure whether to do an NVQ or whether to go to CND and do the 6 day foundation course, do both make you instantly employable afterwards? (Are Creative the best private company?) and of the two, which would give you more chance of getting a job. I would also have to learn mani, pedi ad would like to be able to offer Minx.
My ultimate goal is to have trained as a nail technician and work in a salon and mobile then to get my own salon. I would also like to be able to offer beauty treatments so beauty training will be required along the way. Has anyone else started at the very bottom feeling like they'll never get there? I would be really grateful for any advice xx :)

I started in nails at 38 with 3 children.
I had no previous experience in the business and had only had my own nails done a few times.

I looked into the local college course but was advised by an acquaintance who had a salon that the course was quite outdated and didn't really equip anyone with the skills that are in demand in today's salon .
She found me a private course instead.

There are many good private education providers and some college courses are also good, it largely depends on the tutor.
No beginners course will make you instantly employable, although some students do better than others. A nail technician should expect to update and expand their education on a regular basis. As well as that you will need many hours of practice before you will be ready to charge for your services.

As long as you are dedicated and you start off with a good course you can achieve your goal.

If its a NVQ you should contact your local college as they usually do evening classes. A private provider usually do training in day blocks. I was working part time when i did mine with private provider. I took time off work and did my training. I then practiced on friends and then started mobile working it round work and kids. Then i was offered some work in a salon so gave up my other job.
The government were offering help with course costs to help you to work fulltime . That maybe worth looking into.
There are a few private providers offering training. Look around do your homework.
Good luck.

I think the next steps for me are to save, save and save and do plenty of homework!
I understand that the CND Foundation course would only be a starting point and after doing this I would just start doing friends and familys nails for practice while working at my current (and very boring) part time job, then I would want to continue with the mani and pedi courses then learn shellac and so on. I'm hoping that after doing the foundation course and having practice for bit I can then either go mobile or get a part time job in a salon, does this sound ok? xxx

I think the next steps for me are to save, save and save and do plenty of homework!
I understand that the CND Foundation course would only be a starting point and after doing this I would just start doing friends and familys nails for practice while working at my current (and very boring) part time job, then I would want to continue with the mani and pedi courses then learn shellac and so on. I'm hoping that after doing the foundation course and having practice for bit I can then either go mobile or get a part time job in a salon, does this sound ok? xxx

I started up my own nail business from home immediately after my course. I learned along with my clients. I hate working on friends or family as they usually always take advantage of you and don't pay you enough or many times nothing.

You plan sounds OK but just get out there and go for it. So many waste months and months faffing around on friends and family and then they never feel ready.

CND will give you what you need to get going safely and with the best education and products ... how you respond to it with your own natural talent is up to you. Do you think you have an aptitude for this very special and artistic skill? Are you artistic with other things?

I know the money will be a big commitment for you and what ever you think you will need then double it because if you are going into business you must be able to buy all that you need to start out in the job. worst thing you can do is to penny pinch when starting out; it puts you at a big disadvantage. so if you are going to all this effort to save up then choose the best course you can and that is with CND without a shadow of a doubt ... what's more, they will support and partner with you in your efforts to build your business. Colleges do not do that. Finally if 2 people came to me for a job and told me they were CND trained and college trained .. I'd take the CND trained person every time and so would most others given the choice. Best of luck.

I started up my own nail business from home immediately after my course. I learned along with my clients. I hate working on friends or family as they usually always take advantage of you and don't pay you enough or many times nothing.

You plan sounds OK but just get out there and go for it. So many waste months and months faffing around on friends and family and then they never feel ready.

CND will give you what you need to get going safely and with the best education and products ... how you respond to it with your own natural talent is up to you. Do you think you have an aptitude for this very special and artistic skill? Are you artistic with other things?

I know the money will be a big commitment for you and what ever you think you will need then double it because if you are going into business you must be able to buy all that you need to start out in the job. worst thing you can do is to penny pinch when starting out; it puts you at a big disadvantage. so if you are going to all this effort to save up then choose the best course you can and that is with CND without a shadow of a doubt ... what's more, they will support and partner with you in your efforts to build your business. Colleges do not do that. Finally if 2 people came to me for a job and told me they were CND trained and college trained .. I'd take the CND trained person every time and so would most others given the choice. Best of luck.

I agree with Gigi.
I also do hairdressing & my training in London at Vidal Sassoon's got me recognised a lot more than my training at college did, (although i'm glad I did both.)
It also really helped when I started doing nails 5 years or so ago as I have never needed to advertise I just told my favourite hair clients I do nails too, so I get to see my favourite clients more often.:):):)

CND are well known by the public (as well as us), which I think is comforting for them.

Thank you Geeg and Pooh8Bear for your replies. After the four replies I have had, I am feeling much more positive so thank you so much to you all. I am now certain that CND will be my choice for training and start me off in my dream career.
I am really pleased to have had a reply from you, Gigi, I have been reading your posts and articles for the last couple of weeks since I first visited the site and I have joined your fan club :). Your advice is very helpful and reassuring and it has made me certain that I am making the correct plans/decisions so thank you very much.
Thanks again to you all :green:

Latest posts

Back