Reaction to gels?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tickled-pink

Reaction score
Hi people i am new to the forum. Completed a nail care and extension course covering acrylics and gels and we used NSI products. Since completing the course I have concentrated on using gels carrying out gel extensions and overlays. Recently I have started to get an allergic reaction the usual story with small water blisters, dry cracked skin and itchiness - drives me in sane. I tried wearing gloves however this has not helped the product that is causing the allergy seems to be getting through mainly on my right hand on my middle finer and thumb.
Just wanted to check if this would be the gels that are causing this or perhaps the products that are used in the nail prep or maybe the nail tips themselves. I know I am going to have to just try and eliminate products one by one :(
Also having also done acrylics do you think that I would have the same reaction to these products?
Your helps is greatly appreciated thanks.

A reaction to gels is not all that uncommon.
It's more allergenic than l&p acrylic and fibre/ resin systems.

Mostly, careful use can prevent overexposure reactions but some people are particularly sensitive. I would have thought gloves would work, are you definitely not handling the gel at all before you put the gloves on ?

You say its your middle finger and thumb on your right hand that are the worst. If you are right handed and therefore using this hand to file it could be the dust is settling here and causing the problem. Would be worth wearing gloves when filing and see if it clears up at all x

Or are those the fingers you use to hold the wipe when you prep/ cleanse ?

I have this problem if I don't use the hands down plastic backed pads. Use them and it will stop it, also take some anti histamine tablets to calm it down and daily to prevent it x

i got that it was the resin

This is known as contact dermatitis, and is something that I also have. It is a contact reaction to products, and can happen with acrylic and gels. My fingers get sensative to heat, water blisters, andthe worst breakout was when I was wearing artificial products and had my natural nail lift from the nail plate.

I no longer do acrylics as the monomer is too hard to contain. However, I am able to do gels as long as I have gloves on. Be sure that the gloves you use are made to protect you from chemicals. My gloves are used by mechanics to avoid the chemicals to seap through.

Sadly, once you are sensitve to the products, there is no way to become non-sensitive. You will always have issues when in contact with these products.

Thanks for all of your advice I did another set of gels last night and used hairdressing gloves that were much thicker and stated that they would protect from chemicals so maybe this is the way forward. Think that is is most likely the dust when blending in that is causing the reaction so not sure if this would be the dust particles from the plastic tips or possibly the products that are used for prep. I am very careful to avoid any direct skin contact with the products since this has happened.
Also considering using the forms instead of the tips to see if this helps as there would be no blending involved.
Looks like there will be a few trials of different methods until I am able to pin point what the problem is :)
Have booked an appointment at the doctors for Monday to get some cream to help speed up the healing process :)

I put barrier cream on first then gloves- Nytril gloves are best as the chemicals can still get through latex.

Have a read of Doug Schoon's " Nail Structure & Product Chemistry" it will tell you all about it in there.

Latest posts

Back