Reaction to sensitive lash glue

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mhairi

Reaction score
I use 2 types of glue for my lashes. One is the more fumy glue and the other is a sensitive glue. One of my clients was getting red and itchy with the fumy glue so I used the sensitive glue on her. She got a reaction to that too. Has anyone got any advice as to why this has happened.

The glue I use is iLash X-flex and X-tra. (By ABX beauty products.)

I have never had any clients resct to the sensitive glue before.

My client was reluctant to take her lashes off so left them on for 3 days. I took them off and re-funded the money. She has had lashes before by someone else with no problems. I have asked her to find out what brand the glue was and perhaps I can purchase it for her.

Could her reaction have been from the actual lashes themselves??? :eek:

I use 2 types of glue for my lashes. One is the more fumy glue and the other is a sensitive glue. One of my clients was getting red and itchy with the fumy glue so I used the sensitive glue on her. She got a reaction to that too. Has anyone got any advice as to why this has happened.

The glue I use is iLash X-flex and X-tra. (By ABX beauty products.)

I have never had any clients resct to the sensitive glue before.

My client was reluctant to take her lashes off so left them on for 3 days. I took them off and re-funded the money. She has had lashes before by someone else with no problems. I have asked her to find out what brand the glue was and perhaps I can purchase it for her.

Could her reaction have been from the actual lashes themselves??? :eek:

What are the ingredients? Does the glue contain latex?

ALL SP glues (even the sensitive ones) contain cyanoacrylate and this is probably what is causing the reaction. There is a possibility she could be reacting to something else (primer, gel pads etc) so you need to rule this out.

If it is the glue, I really don't think the sensitive one will help. The only difference I found with the sensitive glue was that the lashes didn't last as long.

As with every treatment, there is a chance that a client might develop an allergy or sensitivity against a product or ingredient. I would strongly advise to do a patch test with all products involved, ie apply primer, debonder, adhesive and sealant to the natural lash to see if your client reacts.
Whilst the main ingredient in most adhesives is the same they are manufactured slightly different which gives some the "stamp" of being medically approved or formaldehydefree so its definitely worth trying some others to see if its a general allergy against the adhesive or treatment or maybe just oversensitivity against one formula.

As long as the client shows symptoms of reaction (red or swollen eyes, itching etc) i would advise her to leave lash extensions to avoid further aggrevation and then offer her a patch test to start from scratch.

While this could be a reaction to the glue, there are a couple things you can try when someone reacts like this.

The first thing I suggest my client does, is go to the optometrist and check if they have an eye infection. The symptoms are the same; when the glue is applied, it leaves raw product near their eyes and irritates the infection.

Next I suggest they use Thera Sterilid to clean their eyelids. When the eyelids are left with extensions on and not cleaned properly, it leaves the client open to the eye infections, and lash mites. This can also be a reason the eyelids are itchy and irritated.

It is also really effective if you use a fine cool mist from a nebulizer or humidifier to instantly cure the adhesive. I have been doing this for some time now, and my clients do not even notice any fumes at all. Even though we are using a really low fume glue, our clients would still notice a tiny bit of burning until I started to cure with moisture.

Lastly, find a low fume glue that isn't advertised as a sensitive glue. If none of these things help, then your client will not be able to wear the lashes, but we have had some really good luck.

If you can find ways to keep your clients from having to walk around with raw product on their eyelids, then you might find less reactions over the long haul.

Latest posts

Back