Reading, a dying hobby?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh I love reading but finding the time with having a 5 month old isn't easy. But I've been reading books by Josephine cox there very good!

I'm loving all the replies so glad everyone is enjoying it and replying :)
I'm a book junkie and currently writing my own, I love it. Going through a memory lane phase and reading all the childhood classics roald dahl and secret garden. It's just so nice to get lost in yours and someone elses imagination

I don't know whether it was to do with my age,or the depth we went into the books or the books themselves but the books that have made the biggest impact on me and those I remember so well are ones that were in my o level list.
To kill a mockingbird should probably be read by everyone beautifully written with the most important message for us all.I bought it for my kids in a lovely hard back edition which we both as parents wrote a little something in.It says a lot about decency.

I read a lot as a child and my parents had the original stories of Hans Christian Anderson and the brothers Grimm how bloody scary are the originals of those stories and if you have never read the original little mermaid and only know the Disney version read it its an eye opener :)

I don't know whether it was to do with my age,or the depth we went into the books or the books themselves but the books that have made the biggest impact on me and those I remember so well are ones that were in my o level list.
To kill a mockingbird should probably be read by everyone beautifully written with the most important message for us all.I bought it for my kids in a lovely hard back edition which we both as parents wrote a little something in.It says a lot about decency.

I love that book. At the time I read it, it was nothing like I was expecting, but it was after I'd finished it that I couldn't stop thinking about it.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

And everyone must read all the original Winnie the Pooh books.

Well, it will be of no surprise to any of you that know me, that my book choice is anything psychology related! It's of huge interest to me! My next interest is anything skin related, as this is my later in life interest and I love it just as much. I also love Biographies. Would never get a kindle as I love the feel and smell of a book and we are building a house, one of the rooms which will be a library.

I love readin, possibly too much. I have to ban myself from reading for weeks at a time. I literally read book after book when I'm on a "reading stint". I read any spare minute I can, sometimes waking between my office and walking to another office down the corridor, or even sat on the loo at work ;) Haha.

I will pretty much read anything , but it's usually trashy novels I can get free on amazon kindle, otherwise my reading habits get VERY expensive. Lol. It's lethal though if I start reading a free book that's part one of a series of books I then end up reading the whole lot :/

Although there is nothing better than the feel of a proper book. Both me and my mum but books and swap all the time, just harder to be discreet on the sneaking reading whilst having a wee ;)

As a child I loved to read everything.. I think it was because my mum and nan read a lot of books.. Whereas my husbands parents not so much!

I remember when I found my mums old Enid Blyton 'The magic faraway tree' has anybody read those? I used to adore them when I was younger.

We should start a 'book club' thread and exchange what books we loved and why.
Haha I'm such a geek!

My favourite childhood books were My Naughty Little Sister and Rumplestilkin.

I think reading non fiction with the internet is more prolific than ever surely.At the mo because its the 50th anniversary of JFKs assassination I've been reading a lot about that online and its very interesting but I would probably never have bought a book on the subject and if I had I would have had only one view.

I absolutely love this idea. I'm so chuffed this thread is doing so well I never get much response on my threads :)
And guess what I just showed this to my partner who is now buying his childhood favourites for me to read off ebay tomorrow:) Enid Blyton books!! I can't wait.

Little boo boo on my part I meant I love the idea of a book club thread I quoted the wrong comment :rolleyes:
Half a bottle of wine down I'm no good for anything ha!

I love reading and when I was a kid would go to the library all the time. My mum had got to the point where she refused to buy books for me because it would get through them too quickly!

I loved the Worst Witch, and also all the Enid Blyton Malory Towers, The Wishing Chair, Faraway Tree.

Now I'll ready anything with a soppy happy ending, can't bear anything scary or crime or thrillers :(

Loved the magic faraway tree! Was trying to get them for my daughter, but apparently they have been 'modernised' which puts me off.

I also loved the noddy books, but couldn't find those either. ..

Sent from my GT-I8190N using SalonGeek mobile app

Loved the magic faraway tree! Was trying to get them for my daughter, but apparently they have been 'modernised' which puts me off.

I also loved the noddy books, but couldn't find those either. ..

Sent from my GT-I8190N using SalonGeek mobile app

See thos is the main point of my blog post why modernise them? And why aren't noddy books available any more? It's wrong!

As a child I loved to read everything.. I think it was because my mum and nan read a lot of books.. Whereas my husbands parents not so much!

I remember when I found my mums old Enid Blyton 'The magic faraway tree' has anybody read those? I used to adore them when I was younger.

We should start a 'book club' thread and exchange what books we loved and why.
Haha I'm such a geek!

I love the book thread idea!!!
Speaking of books for exams we read roll of thunder hear my cry and after I read the whole series they are amazing books. My favourite Shakespeare play is macbeth after studying it in school and lies of silence is a very powerful look in to the IRA in Ireland and the power they have!

I absolutely love this idea. I'm so chuffed this thread is doing so well I never get much response on my threads :)
And guess what I just showed this to my partner who is now buying his childhood favourites for me to read off ebay tomorrow:) Enid Blyton books!! I can't wait.

I think reading books has become almost snobbish like art so people get embarrassed about what they read and authors etc but reading should depend on your mood,sometimes you want things a bit light and sometimes a bit more deep.Sometimes you want to escape,sometimes educate yourself sometimes give yourself a thrill.

[QUOTE=linzi;2037026
Children do what they learn. Sadly, if they're not shown a love for books, how do they learn? Like most things, it comes down to the parents.

All 3 of my children were read bedtime stories EVERY night. My daughter (24) is an avid reader like I am (great to share our books), but my two boys (22 and 20) have never read a book since leaving secondary education!

Try as much as you can to instill the reading "bug" but, for some, it is just not there - however hard you try, so it is not always the parent's fault!

Latest posts

Back