Really disappointed with Shellac removal

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scamp

Reaction score
I did A LOT of research before deciding which UV colour coat to invest in...after a lot of questions (some on here) I decided CND Shellac would be the best option, partly because of the 'easy' removal.
All of my Shellac removals have not been as easy as they should be, after 8-10 minutes using the nourishing remover and wrap method, there is still a lot of colour left on the nail. After re-wrapping, not much more has come off. I have tried wiping over with a lint free pad and the remover, but there is too much left on the nail. I have ended up buffing off!
ALL of my products are from S2, i know I'm not using too much base or top coat, if anything, might be a bit on the thin side. Most of my clients have had it on for the 2 weeks or less. I've even started breaking the seal before removal.

Any suggestions? Please help :(

Are all your clients using solar oil at least once a day, if they are not then that will make removing shellac harder, also your wraps need to be tight, maybe there not tight enought, if your not getting on with the wraps how about trying foil and cotton wool pads cut in 1/2.

I've never ever had to buff the nail to remove real shellac, yes I've had clients that I know are not using solar oil and there's takes longer but even so hard wiping and a little persuasion it all comes off.

Is your base coat too thick, you'll be surprised how little you need and that will make it harder to remove too.

Have you had shellac training, if not this may help with tips and tricks.

It's not the product hun promise as everyone would be moaning, it's probably something little.

Go through your routine exactly...
It really is a dream to remove usually so there must be something your doing incorrectly
X

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek mobile app

Are you using CND Shellac remover wraps or cotton wool and foil?

You need to make sure the pad is fully saturated with remover and that you wrap them up nice and tight!

I've experimented on myself by 'scraping' the base coat on - ie that thin and I find that even when I've put an over healthy serving of top coat on, the shellac and brisa lite smoothing gel is sliding off my nails, which is not what was happening before.

If it's not painted thinly enough and as Maz says, if client isn't using solar oil, this will affect removal. Also I found pumping my nourishing remover into the wraps helped me. Some clients think they are using enough SolarOil, but they're putting it on sparingly. They should be more generous with it at least twice a day - I tell them morning, noon and night!

Get yourself on the Shellac course if you haven't done it and explain the problems you're having with your educator.

Good luck!

Thanks ladies x

I really want to have the success with it that everyone else is having, I know for the reviews it's the best product out there.

So...from start to finish...

Bead of cuticle away on each nail, push back and remove all cuticle thoroughly
Deactivate c/a with warm water and scentsations from spray bottle
Towel dry
Apply scrubfresh
Apply very thin layer of base coat, cure
Apply 2 thin coats of colour, cure for 2 mins between each layer
Apply thin layer of top coat, cure 2 mins
Wipe off inhibition layer with IPA
Apply solar oil and massage in

Removal
Lightly buff to break the seal (I know this is unecessary but have tried anything to help)
Saturate lint free pad (cut into 4) with nourishing remover, place on nail andd tightly wrap with foil
Leave 8-10 mins
Wiggle the foil and pad off
Very gently remove lifted product with orange wood stick

And then I either re-wrap for a few more minutes, saturate another pad with the remover and hold directly onto nail for a minute and wipe or end up having to buff off if this all fails

To simplify things ...

If your Shellac application is taking longer than 10 minutes to remove ... then you are applying Shellac too thick OR you have not got enough remover in your wraps. Probably the first reason.

You have to change something in order for things to change.

I've found that removal can take a bit longer if the nails are not in that good a condition before applying Shellac. Saying that I haven't had any issues removing it.

A

Are you using a CND lamp and how long are you curing the base coat for? It should be 10 seconds.

If using foil then a lint free pad won't hold enough nourishing remover, you should use a circular cosmetic cotton wool pad cut in half, soaked and then wrap the foil, if hands are cold place a warm towel or wheat bag over hands, that should def help.

If using foil then a lint free pad won't hold enough nourishing remover, you should use a circular cosmetic cotton wool pad cut in half, soaked and then wrap the foil, if hands are cold place a warm towel or wheat bag over hands, that should def help.

Agreed the lint free pads dry up too quickly for removal. Cotton wool is better. Xx

Sorry for gate crashing this topic. Do you need to be qualified with CND to use their products? I have done a UV gel polish course through a private school, i am just curious, i was told to try different brands of products to see which you prefer, i.e i trained in Acrylic's using The Edge Nails, however i changed to NSI and love it and find it better to work with.

I trained using a different UV gel polish but found it wasn't nice to work with but have used Cuccio venner gel polish now, i understand with different lamps etc, but just asking have you got to be qualified with CND to use their products basically.

To simplify things ...

If your Shellac application is taking longer than 10 minutes to remove ... then you are applying Shellac too thick OR you have not got enough remover in your wraps. Probably the first reason.

You have to change something in order for things to change.

I think this is most likely to be the answer, which would link back to Geeg's suggestion that there isn't enough remover in the process.

Thank you for all your suggestions lovely ladies, this is why I love Salon Geek x

Yes a lint free pad won't hold enough liquid! Is it dry when you unwrap the foil??
Also I wouldn't 'break the seal' just straight on with the cotton wool and foil!

Butting in, but have you checked Holly's (aka FingerNail Fixer) videos on Shellac application and removal? They are brilliant and you may find that you are applying to thick compared to what Holly does. It may just help, you never know.

FingerNailFixer - YouTube

I had the same problem as you and finally cracked it!

Look at Holly's video's they are a great help. Also I learned a trick to keep the base coat thin. Open the bottle and wipe off ALL excess base coat (including that which is on the 'stick' above the brush. Quickly squidge the brush onto all 5 fingernails, then WITHOUT re-dipping the brush, go back over all 5 nails to ensure that the entire nail plate is covered. You have to use a 'pulsing' slightly scrubbing motion to ensure that the base coat covers all parts of the nail (because it has to be that thin!). I have had brilliant success since doing this.

I also put a timer on my phone to ensure the 8 minutes are up (8 mins for nourishing remover), you just can't guess at timings. If it goes over time then the shellac seems to 're-set'.

This WILL work for genuine Shellac, and you will soon notice when you are removing Fake Shellac because it really won't budge no matter what you do.

Elaine.

Latest posts

Back