Reassuring client about acetone

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blossom

Reaction score
I have an acrylic client who has just switched to Shellac. She HATES HATES HATES any filing as she seems to have super-sensitive nails so Shellac would seem to be the answer for her.

The only thing is, she is not keen on having acetone on her nails every fortnight or so to remove. I have tried to reassure that it's only on the nail, only temporarily dehydrating (she has bought a solar oil so will be slathering it on over the Shellac), but she keeps on "that can't be good for the nails".

So . . .

what else can I say to reassure her that it is ok?

I have an acrylic client who has just switched to Shellac. She HATES HATES HATES any filing as she seems to have super-sensitive nails so Shellac would seem to be the answer for her.

The only thing is, she is not keen on having acetone on her nails every fortnight or so to remove. I have tried to reassure that it's only on the nail, only temporarily dehydrating (she has bought a solar oil so will be slathering it on over the Shellac), but she keeps on "that can't be good for the nails".

So . . .

what else can I say to reassure her that it is ok?

I would say "Acetone is not good for your nails if they are soaked for long periods of time (30mins) more then once every 2 weeks, without carrying out the correction re-hydration routine afterwards".

You have SolarOil she has SolarOil! So she should have lovely hydrated nails without evening knowing she had been wrapped. And the fact she is having Shellac, removal time is so small.

I would say "Acetone is not good for your nails if they are soaked for long periods of time (30mins) more then once every 2 weeks, without carrying out the correction re-hydration routine afterwards".

You have SolarOil she has SolarOil! So she should have lovely hydrated nails without evening knowing she had been wrapped. And the fact she is having Shellac, removal time is so small.

As long as you leave the clients' nails absolutely intact and no surface buffing, then the dehydration will be minimal and the surface of her nails should still have a sheen to them even when the product is removed.

The problems start when the technician starts buffing that surface through impatience or whatever causes them to do it, or scrapes away at the surface with a metal tool because they have not thoroughly removed the product! Then the plate looses its natural surface protection and more signs of dehydration occur. If you don't do those things then your client should be more than satisfied.

Funnily enough, I reckon clients who wear polish all the time expose their nails to more acetone (or non-acetone remover, which can be as dehydrating as Acetone) when they wear normal polish than they do during a Shellac removal. After all, the nails are not exposed to acetone for the whole ten minute removal; they are protected by the Shellac. It TAKES 10 minutes for the acetone to penetrate through the Shellac layers to the base coat, down the tiny tunnels in Shellac. Once the quick release polymers cause the base coat to let go of the natural nail it's time to unwrap. :D You do need to WRAP and not 'soak' to remove Shellac as per manufacturer's instructions.

Perhaps you can explain to the client how it works by watching this video and I'm sure she will be happy.

Shellac vs. Gel Polish - YouTube

Being in the US, we don't have DSolve and use acetone to remove Shellac. Wouldn't you in the UK be using DSolve instead of acetone? What are the differences between DSolve and acetone? Might that allay some of your client's concerns?

Being in the US, we don't have DSolve and use acetone to remove Shellac. Wouldn't you in the UK be using DSolve instead of acetone? What are the differences between DSolve and acetone? Might that allay some of your client's concerns?

D.Solve is Acetone but buffered to minimize dehydration and it is a very good quality of Acetone so it works a bit more quickly than some lesser qualities of Acetone. You don't HAVE to use D.Solve ... but it would be in ones interest to do so as D.Solve is more efficient than allot of other removers and 'kinder' because of the buffering.. it is not expensive either!

Last edited:
D.Solve is Acetone but buffered to minimize dehydration and it is a very good quality of Acetone so it works a bit more quickly than some lesser qualities of Acetone. You don't HAVE to use D.Solve ... but it would be in their interest to do so as D.Solve is more efficient than allot of other removers and 'kinder' because of the buffering.. it is not expensive either!

Forgive my ignorance on this, but I was told that all acetone sold for cosmetic use was buffered (I didn't believe it but...). What does buffered mean in this context? And does DSolve also contain moisturizers and other ingredients?

Forgive my ignorance on this, but I was told that all acetone sold for cosmetic use was buffered (I didn't believe it but...). What does buffered mean in this context? And does DSolve also contain moisturizers and other ingredients?

One of the problems here is that many buy Acetone that is not meant for cosmetic use and I have even had technicians in the States tell me they get their Acetone from the hardware store because it is cheaper! They do not seem to know the difference and think if something says Acetone it is all the same deal!

Some Acetone, buffered or not, is cut quite drastically with water so that it looses its ability to act quickly.

D.Solve is pure Buffered Acetone and MSDS will be available from S2. I do not have An MSDS in my house to hand to tell you the other ingredients but it smells lovely and does not de-fat the skin or turn it white during the removal process.

Perhaps you would like to contact S2 to get the MSDS. There isn't any magic ingredient in Shellac it is just very good quality and it does work faster and better than other Acetone based removers I have tried.

Last edited:
If in States you may try OPI expert touch, its great and do not dehydrate the skin or nail plate at all. Ive bought it to use with Gelcolor and stuck with it.

Jessica has a remover called Erase for Geleration which too has a high amount of acetone but other ingredients and removes shellac too without dehydrating too much.

One of the problems here is that many buy Acetone that is not meant for cosmetic use and I have even had technicians in the States tell me they get their Acetone from the hardware store because it is cheaper! They do not seem to know the difference and think if something says Acetone it is all the same deal!

Some Acetone, buffered or not, is cut quite drastically with water so that it looses its ability to act quickly.

D.Solve is pure Buffered Acetone and MSDS will be available from S2. I do not have An MSDS in my house to hand to tell you the other ingredients but it smells lovely and does not de-fat the skin or turn it white during the removal process.

Perhaps you would like to contact S2 to get the MSDS. There isn't any magic ingredient in Shellac it is just very good quality and it does work faster and better than other Acetone based removers I have tried.

I use OPI and so use Expert Touch which works so much better than pure acetone (I always buy cosmetic grade, not hardware store!). A number of people have commented that removers like Gelish Soak Off Gel Remover or Geleration Erase work better on their product than acetone, so I was wondering what is in these products in addition to acetone. I would love to try DSolve to see the difference in how it does on Shellac.

As long as you leave the clients' nails absolutely intact and no surface buffing, then the dehydration will be minimal and the surface of her nails should still have a sheen to them even when the product is removed.

The problems start when the technician starts buffing that surface through impatience or whatever causes them to do it, or scrapes away at the surface with a metal tool because they have not thoroughly removed the product! Then the plate looses its natural surface protection and more signs of dehydration occur. If you don't do those things then your client should be more than satisfied.

Funnily enough, I reckon clients who wear polish all the time expose their nails to more acetone (or non-acetone remover, which can be as dehydrating as Acetone) when they wear normal polish than they do during a Shellac removal. After all, the nails are not exposed to acetone for the whole ten minute removal; they are protected by the Shellac. It TAKES 10 minutes for the acetone to penetrate through the Shellac layers to the base coat, down the tiny tunnels in Shellac. Once the quick release polymers cause the base coat to let go of the natural nail it's time to unwrap. :D You do need to WRAP and not 'soak' to remove Shellac as per manufacturer's instructions.

Perhaps you can explain to the client how it works by watching this video and I'm sure she will be happy.

Shellac vs. Gel Polish - YouTube

Thanks Geeg for that, I am sure I will be able to reassure her xx

Some chap a while ago put toilet bleach on his hair as he thought it was the same stuff hairdressers use as it said "bleach"........:eek:

Latest posts

Back