Records

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lady_Nightshade

Reaction score
This may seem like a strange question but when you go and have extensions or overlays or any thing like that at a nail salon, are they meant to keep a record of it and or ask you questions?
I know for facials and massages they do but is it the same for nails?

I always carry out a consultation & keep client record cards....

Hi,
All new clients fill out their part on my client consultation forms, I also ask some questions, I fill in that part.
On the back of my cards it is printed so that I can write in what nail treatments they have had, the date, nail polish colour etc and what I charged them.
Hope this helps.
x x x :hug: x x x

This may seem like a strange question but when you go and have extensions or overlays or any thing like that at a nail salon, are they meant to keep a record of it and or ask you questions?
I know for facials and massages they do but is it the same for nails?

The answer is simple YES. but the reality is that most techs dont keep records. The thing is that by not doing so, they only harm themselves. the reason for Nail records are
1. to know your client
2. to recommend the right shape,size, type of nails to that client depending on personal needs, works, kids etc
3. recommend home treatments and up product sales
4. to protect the tech from future problems.... what do i mean??? well both nail enhancements and natural nails can change depending on stress, medication, personal circumstances, climate etc. keeping a record of the nails from one visit to the next can help you locate the problem source quickly and keep your clients happy.
For example:
If one of my clients gets pregenant or has to go into hospital for something serious, i automatically explain to them that although the products are in no way harmful to the baby/client, most doctors will ask you to remove the enhancements at least one month before the operation. why? because the doctor looks at the colour etc of your nails to check if your ok and healthy, Having extensions on can mask the true colour. By explaining this to the client before the treatment not only do you look more professional to your client, you can arrange with your client exactly when she needs to remove her nails and when she can have them put back on. You can even plan few manicure treatments in between. helping you to keep your clients happy and stop them goin elsewhere!

hope this helps

Last edited by a moderator:
It is very useful information to know. I did think it was a wise move to make but I wasnt 100%.
Thanks for all the replies.

:hug:

If one of my clients gets pregenant or has to go into hospital for something serious, i automatically explain to them that although the products are in no way harmful to the baby/client, most doctors will ask you to remove the enhancements at least one month before the operation. why? because the doctor looks at the colour etc of your nails to check if your ok and healthy, Having extensions on can mask the true colour. By explaining this to the client before the treatment not only do you look more professional to your client, you can arrange with your client exactly when she needs to remove her nails and when she can have them put back on. You can even plan few manicure treatments in between. helping you to keep your clients happy and stop them goin elsewhere!

Yep - and enhancements can interfere with that pulse/oxygen saturation monitor thing that they pop on your finger if you're having surgery or on a high dependency ward too.

I can honestly say that for the last 8 years of having enhancements on my nails ( on and off and still never found a salin I will stick with!) I have only just found a tech who fills out a client card and that was when Cal off here came to practice on me!

On a side note - Ruth, I know you offer Salon Alchemy - does that have a client database on it where you can keep computer records of clients? When I eventualy qualify and stuff, I would like to use a basic software to keepa track of what is done and when :D

On a side note - Ruth, I know you offer Salon Alchemy - does that have a client database on it where you can keep computer records of clients? When I eventualy qualify and stuff, I would like to use a basic software to keepa track of what is done and when :D

Shhhhhh - can't mention that on here too much - that would be naughty :green:

Oooopsies - sorry mods :D

In my salons it was a sackable offense for a technician not to fill in a client record card for every single visit, even a repair.

In my salons it was a sackable offense for a technician not to fill in a client record card for every single visit, even a repair.

Wow..... I bet that made sure they filled the records out.

I asked because, as I may have mentioned once or twice Ive been going to a techy near me recently and she has never once filled a form out about me and Im not the most regular of clients (cash flow) so it can be a while between visits. Id been wondering how she knew what I needed/wanted/had had before etcetc.
This is my first experience of having my nails done and tbh.... its not been the best. :rolleyes: I still have sore fingertips now and its been two weeks since they were removed (by the same techy)

That is what our salon is like - I have been there a couple of times as one of the girls is a very good tech and always does my nails just as I like them BUt she has to fit each tip every time I get them changed ( I have coloured tips from them as they don't offer coloured gel or L&P) so if I want a change of colour, it is the whole hog.

Surely her having a record of the sizes I have on would cut her time a bit?

Every single client, every single time, has a client record card with all the details of what treatment they have received, what I have recommended, and what retail products they have bought.

Every single client, every single time, has a client record card with all the details of what treatment they have received, what I have recommended, and what retail products they have bought.

Nice and professional. :D I bet that makes everything so much easier... and why cant you be closer to me? :cry:

One of the biggest challenges professional nail technicians (sorry Lady Nightshade but no one refers to me as a techy!!! :hug:) face is the number of non professionals who are working doing nails!!

Just like a brilliant hair dresser is hard to find, so too are the brilliant nail technicians. One thing you can do is to ring Sweet Squared 08452106060 .. and ask if there is a Creative Nail Design (CND) Master Nail Technician near you? Like anything else, the professional techs use the best products so my advise is to go to the source of those products and ask if there is someone near to you who is using them. Or you can contact through Welcome - Sweet Squared as well.

One of the biggest challenges professional nail technicians (sorry Lady Nightshade but no one refers to me as a techy!!! :hug:) face is the number of non professionals who are working doing nails!!

Just like a brilliant hair dresser is hard to find, so too are the brilliant nail technicians. One thing you can do is to ring Sweet Squared 08452106060 .. and ask if there is a Creative Nail Design (CND) Master Nail Technician near you? Like anything else, the professional techs use the best products so my advise is to go to the source of those products and ask if there is someone near to you who is using them. Or you can contact through Welcome - Sweet Squared as well.

Didnt mean to offend. I just tend to shorten technician down, always have done ever since I started out as a junior laboratory technician, worked my way up to senior laboratory technician and ended up senior laboratory supervisor. In my case it was a bit of a mouth full so I started shortening it to techy, so the habbits continued I call anyone whos a technician a techy. :wink2:
I shall endeavor not to on this site as I dont wish anyone to think Im demeaning their work. I think your all great.

Didnt mean to offend. I just tend to shorten technician down, always have done ever since I started out as a junior laboratory technician, worked my way up to senior laboratory technician and ended up senior laboratory supervisor. In my case it was a bit of a mouth full so I started shortening it to techy, so the habbits continued I call anyone whos a technician a techy. :wink2:
I shall endeavor not to on this site as I dont wish anyone to think Im demeaning their work. I think your all great.

I sent you a :hug: to show you that I was in no way offended but in nails, to me 'techy' is an expression that does not signify professionalism at all.

I know you meant no harm at all and many do use this word, but I do not and I don't like it. There are enough non professionals involved in the nail business giving it a bad enough rep without adding to it. IMHO

Latest posts

Back